Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Need Trigger Explanation Please

I installed my brooks trigger kit on my 452 trainer rifle this morning, and I have 2 questions I hope you guys can help me with:
1) I used the next to the heaviest spring and the red sleeve-- I now have a 1 pound trigger pull with no creep. Bumps directly on the floor could not get the firing pin to fall, so it appears to be safe. This should now be a great shooting trigger, but do you guys think 1 pound is too light? Could safety still be a factor, now or a later date as the rifle gets broken in? (brand new rifle-- only 200 rounds or less). Should I go one up to the heaviest spring in the kit, or even re-install the factory spring and try to adjust it? I had a 3.25 pound pull with lots of creep before the work I did this morning. Or would you be happy and not change a thing? It will be an all-purpose rifle, mostly target shooting off the bench, but maybe a field rifle on occasion as well.
2) On the front trigger pin--- when I re-installed it, I want to know if I did it right. I simply drove it back in place-- was I supposed to "rivet" it back in place-- expand the end of the pin where it won't slip back out? it looked like that is the way it came from the factory-- I did not try to do this-- it seemed tight enough that I don't think it should slip back out, but just checking to see what others do.

Thanks for any help/opinions anyone is willing to offer. :)

·
Registered
10,623 Posts
The trigger may get lighter as you shoot it and the trigger parts wear in, mine did no big deal. I changed the sleeve to correct this. As far as the 1 lb trigger only you can decide. I would shoot it some and see how you like it. I personally like a 1 lb trigger or lighter but I just shoot from the bench or plink I do not hunt with it. The pins should be ok but if they are a little loose or you are worried about them put a drop of finger nail polish over each end let dry before you assemble the rifle into the stock and they will stay put.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I would make sure to keep lubes off the area where the trigger and sear meet/touch, I know for a fact that lube in this area can affect the trigger as to safety. I now just clean and lube this area with lighter fluid, it leaves a very light coating and the trigger feel does not change.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I can't speak from experience with Brookie's magic trigger kit, but from what I've read in other posts, the sleeve can wear a bit with use, making a formerly safe trigger unsafe. I would urge you to keep it as light as it currently is, but to periodically recheck the trigger. (If you put the trigger on safe, then pull it and release, and finally take the safety off, does the gun fire? I had a CZ centerfire that had a very light trigger (about 12 oz) that seemed safe ... certainly wouldn't go off with even a sharp rap on the stock butt. Then, the first time I forgot to take it off safe to shoot it at the range, and pulled the trigger, then discovered my mistake, the gun fired as soon as I took it off safe. You can bet I immediately adjusted that trigger!)

good luck and good shooting...
hunter20ga

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
changed mind

I changed my mind, and decided I did not want a 1 lb. trigger. It would be out of line with my rugers I also shoot which are 2 to 2/1/2 pounds, and out of line with the all-purpose use I have for the CZ. I kept in the red sleeve and put the factory spring back in. Adjusted the nut down a little, and now I have a very crisp 2.5 pound trigger with no creep. I think I will be happy with this.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Life of Brooks Kit

You can see from the posts above, I have installed one of the red sleeves from the brooks kit in my 452 trainer. I have read somewhere where these sleeves can eventually wear out. What are they made of, and how long (how many rounds) can they be expected to last? I personally can't see how it would wear out for a very long time, but have you experienced users of the kit had to replace them very often?

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
The sleeve is made of brass and it will wear with a lot of use. Don't get too concerned with safety deteriorating because as the sleeve wears, the sear engages more material not less. So you should experience more trigger creep as the sleeve wears down. I would recommend testing the guns safety with every 500 rounds or so. This is a good practice on any rifle. You don't want to find out that your safety is malfunctioning with a loaded round!

I agree with your decision to use a 2.5lb trigger. That's a recommended hunting gun trigger weight. The extra weight is more crucial should you do any cold weather shooting and/or use gloves.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have the lighter sear spring and a new sear from Automation Solutions. The trigger is so light it barely reads on the scale...nice, really, but it goes off when tapped on the floor. So we put the stock setup back in and the rifle still goes off when tapped! The gunsmith figured that's why there was so much creep built into the trigger in the first place. We left the lighter trigger in the rifle, but the gun can only be safely carried empty.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
270 shooter,

You either need more sear engagement or a heavier spring. You mention putting the stock setup back in, so did you replace the spring with the stock spring or is the lighter sear spring still installed?

The lighter spring will not offer enough force on the sear to offset the momentum of the trigger mass when you do a bump test. This is especially critical when you have sear engagemen right at the ragged edge. The lightest spring should only be used for target shooting.

I would put the automated solutions sear back in and use a spring that gives about 2# pull. Set the screw about 1/4 turn from 0 engagement and you will be good and safe for a loaded hunting rifle.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I installed the Brookies kit tonight. Used the lightest spring and the red tube. I ended up with a trigger that is nice and crisp, VERY light, and will not pass the slam test.
I only shoot paper, and the rifle is never loaded unless it's on the bench. I'm going to shoot ARA with it this year.

Do you think this setup will be fine, or should I try the black tube?

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
3joe21 said:
...You don't want to find out that your safety is malfunctioning with a loaded round!
My brother learned this lesson years ago, not long after he married. He was function testing a safety on a rifle he didn't realize was loaded and shot his nice new TV (wedding gift) in their living room. New wife was just on the other side of wall cooking supper! I can guarantee you there has not been a loaded rifle in their home since!

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Chrome said:
I installed the Brookies kit tonight. Used the lightest spring and the red tube. I ended up with a trigger that is nice and crisp, VERY light, and will not pass the slam test.
I only shoot paper, and the rifle is never loaded unless it's on the bench. I'm going to shoot ARA with it this year.

Do you think this setup will be fine, or should I try the black tube?
I've had this situation several times with Brook's kit...and it makes me nervous. In fact, they will easily pass the bump test but not the slam test. I always back off to the next tube. I would rather have a slight amount of creep than an accident!

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
brookie's punctuality

speaking of brookie's trigger kits, how long does it usually take him to cash your check? ordered a kit(mailed the order) two weeks ago and check hasn't cleared yet. how soon should I start to worry? :confused:

·
Registered
459 Posts
He has a note on his web site that he is backed up, but hopes to be caught up in the next day or so. I have placed several orders with him and will be placing more. At one poit he said he was about a week behind in orders and responces. I wouldn't worry, I think the popularity of the CZ's and his products had him temporily backed up..

Martin

·
Registered
144 Posts
Put the black tube in last night. It will pass a multiple bump test, but if slammed fairly hard it will still fire. I'm comfortable with this setting, especially since it will never be carried loaded.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
270 shooter said:
I have the lighter sear spring and a new sear from Automation Solutions. The trigger is so light it barely reads on the scale...nice, really, but it goes off when tapped on the floor. So we put the stock setup back in and the rifle still goes off when tapped! The gunsmith figured that's why there was so much creep built into the trigger in the first place. We left the lighter trigger in the rifle, but the gun can only be safely carried empty.
check for excess oil on the striker and the sear. They come pretty oily and it cause mine to slip. You should be able to use a lighter spring safely.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.