Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys, I know you have all heard it before...but I have to sing the praises anyway! Last Tuesday I mailed Brookie a personal check for $9 for one of his spring kits. I have a new CZ 452 American in .17 HMR that I thought I would try to improve (just a bit).

I live in WI, he in NY, yet I got my kit in this afternoon's (Monday) mail. Fantastic turnaround.

Now, I am very good at my craft, but a gunsmith I ain't!!! I opted for the medium spring, because I will hunt with the gun. I decided to try the heavier of the two shims, trying to eliminate the little creep I had. I decided on this heavier one because the people here told me that lightening the trigger and slicking up the sear would make creep much more noticeable than before.

I got out a small punch and a hammer, held my breath, and proceeded to tap on my brand new gun (gasp)! In less than 1/2 hour, I had replaced the spring, lowering the pull to about 1 1/2 lbs., added the ferrule shim, polished the sear and trigger, replaced the pins, and replaced the action in the stock.

Not only was this mod very quick and EASY, the trigger is GREAT! It is a crisp, light pull with very little creep. An added benefit of the ferrule shim seems to be the overtravel. While still present, the overtravel seems to be just about 1/3 of what it was before the mod. I may be mistaken, but that is how it feels.

Eric, you can add me to your list of very satisfied customers.

Thank You,

Bill Polley

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just put his kit on my 452 Varmiteer, It is great, With the CZ Rifels I found that the non- adjustable trigger was about the only thing wrong, but his kit makes it perfect. Thanks

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Willscary, you're not mistaken. The sleeve will reduce overtravel. The upper side of the enlarged pin, pushing against the bottom of the receiver, reduces sear engagement. The lower part, stopping on the sear itself, acts as trigger stop.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So...another way to stop overtravel would be to build up the sear, ever so slightly, at the point of contact with the staked, forward trigger pin, say with solder or epoxy?

·
Registered
27 Posts
That won't get it all. I tried that method, and got some of the overtravel, but couldn't eliminate it. After filing enough epoxy off to allow me to get the sear back in place, there was excess overtravel again. Building up the trigger spring guide rod with epoxy (lengthening it) is the only way I've found to really beat the overtravel problem. It's a simple process with some JB Weld and a flat file.

Nick- is this consistent with your findings? It was based on your description of this method in a previous post that I tried it, and it truly did eliminate all overtravel.

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
When I put in brookies spring I put in the 2nd to the lightest one. Did all the safety tests and it passed fine. Weeks later while I had the gun apart I tried the lighter spring and it would slam fire. So I changed back to the 2nd spring.

The questions are:
Would it help to put one of the shim sleeves on?
By doing this would it give a more positive engagement of the sear so it would pass the safety tests with the lightest spring?

I would love to have the trigger lighter as I am used to my 3oz trigger on my match air rifle.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Mike,

By "slam fire" do you mean when you smack the butt end of it on the bench it fires?

If yes, then the added sleeve won't help. The trigger just doesn't have enough resistance with the light spring to prevent the inertia from making it fire.

Also be careful not to slam it too hard or with your action screws not snugged up. With no recoil lug, like on a high powered rifle, your entire action will try to slide back and it can crack your stock in the thin wood around the tang. Then it's 1-800-Don Stith.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, with Brookie's thick shim ferrule, much of the overtravel has been eliminated, making me very happy. Overall, the trugger went from good to fantastic. My overtravel is only about 1/16" now.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
The trigger return spring is responsible for putting the trigger and sear into engangement and keeping it there. My opinion is that if a particular spring is not enough to get to safe levels of engagement there are other areas to be examined:

- reduction of friction at the pivot points (trigger spring rod, rear trigger pin)
- reduction or elimination of friction between spring rod and receiver.

With proper tuning of the trigger by a competent gunsmith I would not be surprised if safe trigger pulls in the 8 oz range are possible. However the factory trigger is not made to the tolerances needed to reach this level without skilled tuning.

As always, I cannot recommend any trigger spring or trigger modification as each gun is different enough that parts that work flawlessly on one could be dangerous on another gun. The parts I provide are designed to fit but their use can only be considered in context for a particular gun and particular user. The use of the gun must also be considered so that there is sufficient engagement and force to prevent accidental discharge under the intended conditions of use. I always recommend the participation of a competent gunsmith in the process of modifying a gun.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Jason : yes, the only workable way to totally eliminate overtravel is via the trigger spring rod. I've tried building up the surface of the sear under the trigger pin ONCE, and found it to be too difficult getting it to the correct height. It's not easy putting that piece back in place as we all know.

Honestly, with the sleeve the overtravel would be reduced to an acceptable level, as Willscary mentioned.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Will, I just sent a check into Eric for springs and was glad to see his very prompt response to your order. I actually thought about using a pen spring, but for nine bucks I figured I would like to count myself as a customer of the guy who did made the upfront investment of time and money to be a part of the CZ aftermarket.

I have found Reid Hanson and Tony Kidd also to be very responsive, providing product that deliver on every promise they make.

In a world of people who shave the truth, or worse, RFC suppliers distinguish themselves by being straight shooters. At least this is my experience.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.