Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Broke my 581

1070 Views 9 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  pump .22s
I was installing my new Timney Trigger in my 581 this afternoon. All seemed to be going fine till I discovered the tang that the retaining pin for the trigger goes through was inside the trigger body. Not sure what I did wrong, I supported the trigger before drifting out the pin and did not apply any twisting motion but there it was. It looks like the tang was soldered to the reciever although there was about one third of the contact area rusty which leads me to believe it may not have been a thorough solder job.

Regardless, has anyone else had this happen and if so how did you resolve it?

Cemoto
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2,936 Posts
I was installing my new Timney Trigger in my 581 this afternoon. All seemed to be going fine till I discovered the tang that the retaining pin for the trigger goes through was inside the trigger body. Not sure what I did wrong, I supported the trigger before drifting out the pin and did not apply any twisting motion but there it was. It looks like the tang was soldered to the reciever although there was about one third of the contact area rusty which leads me to believe it may not have been a thorough solder job.

Regardless, has anyone else had this happen and if so how did you resolve it?

Cemoto
Yes, I had this problem. A gunsmith friend made a jig that you can see in the photos. The jig is affixed to my rifles by two holes, one that aligns with the magazine guide mounting screw hole and one for the second action screw I added to my rifle. The trigger boss (or tang if you prefer) is located in its proper position by using a long pin. The hole for this portion of the jig was located off my other undamaged 581 (or maybe my 580, either would work).
Using the jig in this manner the broken trigger boss was arc welded back into place. A bit of file work (or mill work if you prefer) was required to square the boss back into shape. On mine the roll pin hole had weld seep into it. No matter, once it's external shape was finished, I used the jig to locate where the hole should be, redrilled the hole and have been happily shooting it ever since.

Its really quite a simple fix once you get the jig made.

Good luck:snipersmi

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have visited a couple smiths in the area and they don't have the time. I get the feeling they don't think it is worth fixing. I am considering epoxy. I know it is a hack way to fix it and it may not hold but that may be my only option unless I can find a smith that wants to take the time to repair it.

· Premium Member
12,609 Posts
Back so long ago I am a little fuzzy on the details, a buddy told me he could adjust the trigger on a 788 I had...which I understand has pretty much the same setup as the 581. He managed to break the little stud off that the trigger mounts to - probably while trying to drive the pin in our out.

With my father-in-laws help, we drilled and tapped the receiver and fashioned a new mount for the trigger that fastened to the receiver with screws. Worked just fine from there.

· Registered
886 Posts
Didn't someone a while back figure out a way to D&T the bottom of the receiver and make a screw in replacement stud with the cross hole?
Yes, that is one way to fix it. Drill/tap and loc-tite a small bolt in. Cut it to length, drilling a new hole and fileing it so the trigger will go over it.

Tig welding the part back on is another way. I wouldn't trust epoxy...

DM

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did some more checking on the net and found this is a problem on the 788 also. It appears that experienced gunsmiths have had the stud break off. One guy had a broken stud after having trigger work done by a smith. He found out the stud was broken after removing the action from the stock to try and figure out why the rifle would go off when he engaged the safety. I think the epoxy is out of the question, I don't want to take any chances. I'm still not sure what I will do.
Maybe buy a CZ?

· Premium Member
12,609 Posts
I did some more checking on the net and found this is a problem on the 788 also. It appears that experienced gunsmiths have had the stud break off. One guy had a broken stud after having trigger work done by a smith. He found out the stud was broken after removing the action from the stock to try and figure out why the rifle would go off when he engaged the safety. I think the epoxy is out of the question, I don't want to take any chances. I'm still not sure what I will do.

Maybe buy a CZ?
If you are good with your hands or know a good smith, I think I would try the idea stated above....drill and tap for a small bolt that can be used to mount the trigger assembly.

As far as buying a CZ goes, not a bad idea at all....I didn't know CZ existed until about a year and a half ago. Now I own four - model 452 - and thinking I may need another one or two. Terrific value for the money. :bthumb:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.