Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, and thanks for providing such a splendid forum!

Now, a couple of years ago I picked up a Brno Model 1 .22 at a local shop because it was on sale at a bargain price. It says Brno Model 1 and Made in Czechoslovakia. Both the barrel and action are stamped 93, which led me to believe the gun was made in 1993. But now I read on the web that Mod. 1's were only made until the 50's....

The gun looks exactly like my fathers Model 2 from the 70's, except mine has a simpler rear sight, not that nice Mauser like adjustable thing. It was not treaded to attach a silencer, like all CZ452's they sell here are. Can someone "place" this gun? Did or does CZ/Brno make several models at the same time? Today all new guns I can find are 452's..

Btw, it shoots great. I just had it treaded, and with a silencer it makes for a great urban crow and seagull gun!

\nomen

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
What does the groove on the receiver look like ? If it's made in 1993 it should have 11 mm. universal groove, not the wide 15mm. CZ groove. Apart from the folding sights, the Model 1 has a heavy, two-stage trigger istead of a single-stage like the 452.

I'm not sure of the exact year, the "Czechoslovakia" had been change to "Czeck Republic" in the early- to mid- '90.

Check the stamping again. My gun has '57 as well as '98 stamps. That means they rechecked a '57 gun in '98 before selling it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have the granddaddy of them all !! Mine says '47 and that sure is 1947, says 'Made in Czechoslovakia' one one side, 'Zbrojska Brno' and ' Narodni Podnik' on the other side. It has 15 mm scope grooves and a folding rear sight. I 'wafer' floated the barrel and get 1/2" groups at 50 mtrs.

Can anyone tell me what ' Narodni Podnik' means ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats exactly the same markings as on my -93 model!

It also has the CZ logo on the (plastic) buttplate, and on the barrel, in front of BRNO MOD 1 Cal 22 Long Rifle.

I will measure the grooves later; it came with rings that fitted.

"Narodni Podnik" probably means trade mark or registered company or something in that line. If you search Google it turns up behind lots of different Czech company names.

\nomen

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
TwoTwo said:
says 'Made in Czechoslovakia' one one side, 'Zbrojska Brno' and ' Narodni Podnik' on the other side. It has 15 mm scope grooves.
I have a BRNO receiver that says the same thing with 15mm grooves. It has a Winchester 52 barrel and spacer screwed into it, and it is attached to a Remington 540X stock. The trigger is entirely different than the current CZ 452, and has a sear engagement adjustment screw.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Below is a copy of my email (First is Last) with CZ in Uhersky Brod, Czech. I can't get the site www.Zbrojovka.com to work. I did get a photocopy of the model #1 manual, but it is in Czech (Can anyone translate?) Hope this helps.
Farmer John

Dear Sirs,

The Model #1 you have was really made in Zbrojovka Brno and not in our company. I presume your concrete model was made in the end of 50´s. We have started our production in 1964, at that time it was (I presume) Model #5. As my main interest lies in language here is for you small Czech - English dictionary of terms you encountered.

Narodni podnik - National enterprise (In communist regime all instruments of production are in the State hands)

Zbrojovka - Arms company (enterprise manufacturing weapons)

Ceska - Czech

Ceska Zbrojovka - Czech Arms Company

Zbrojovka Brno - Arms company located in the town of Brno

(Of course everything written here in Czech is without graphic accent or diacritical marks as on your computer these marks will cause problems and they will not be displayed on your monitor).

So, now back to your question regarding Model # 1. This rimfire rifle was conceived and manufactured in Zbrojovka Brno. This company still exists and all contacts you need can be acquired from their web site at: www.zbrojovka.com

Unfortunately, I do not know answers to your other questions.

Anyway I hope you will keep our company that is Ceska Zbrojovka in your favour.

Milan Kubele

Marketing

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, May 28, 2003 6:17 AM
To: Info czub.cz
Subject: Re: Brno Model #1

Milan,

Thank you for your information on the Brno Model #1. Do you have an owners/parts manual for the Model # 1 that I can purchase?

Although, the CZ is a fine modern rifle, the quality and workmanship of the Brnos is excellent. I am interest in the history of

these fine .22 rifles. What does "ndrodnf podnik" mean in English? Do you know any sources of information on when and where these

rifles were manufactured, how many, how they were used, and how they entered the USA market?

Thank you for your reply,

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Monday, May 26, 2003 8:04 AM

Subject: RE: Brno Model #1

> Dear Sir,

>

> It seems that you really have model made in Brno. To the surprise of

> many foreigners this is another company. Their production of long guns has

> been transferred to our company that is Ceska Zbrojovka located in

> Uhersky Brod in the years of 1964 to 1966. Please try to contact CZ- USA

> and please consult also web sites of www.czforum.com

>

> Yours faithfully,

>

> Milan Kubele

> Marketing

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.