Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
3,683 Posts
Interesting thread...and I agree that they are elegant and amazing rifles...my favorite RF's.

Hammer forged barrels? Once you have the capital equipment in place (which I believe the Germans were kind enough to provide during the war... somebody please correct me on that assumption if I'm out in the weeds),
Slight deviation, the Czechs were making Mauser's and were known for their high quality arms etc. long before WWII and Hitler's minions came rolling through. (And later USSR.) Actually Czech arms were some of the reasons for the interest and timing of Hitler's invasion. (Sudetenland was just an excuse.) They have always been known for their innovation, quality and designs in arms...(Even their tanks were better than Germany's pre invasion.) Sadly the rest of the world sold them out and hung them out to dry for the price of peace...or peach at any cost attitude...thx Chamberlain. Anyway...

· Registered
3,683 Posts
Please pardon the deviation and temporary highjack...

Thanks TOU... I appreciate the historical insight. I looked up Chamberlain and his appeasement policy on Wikipedia and it had this little blurb: "... the annexation of Czechoslovakia gave the Third Reich access to well-developed Czech industrial resources and significantly improved the Reich's strategic standing."
No problem A4F..yep you got it right. Now if you look up the terms "appeasement policy" it has Chamberlain's name right beside it...their synonymous. :rolleyes: Actually their is one other present day name their also but I will leave that alone for this discussion...;) Also refer to the "Peace For Our Time" speech and the "Munich Agreement".

"Munich Agreement"...an agreement regarding the Sudetenland Crisis among the major powers of Europe after a conference held in Munich, Germany, in 1938 and signed in the early hours of September 30. The purpose of the conference was to discuss the future of Czechoslovakia in the face of territorial demands made by German dictator Adolf Hitler. The agreement, signed by Nazi Germany, France, Britain, and Italy (The Soviet Union had not been represented nor invited.) permitted German annexation of Czechoslovakia's Sudetenland. The Sudetenland was of immense strategic importance to Czechoslovakia, as most of its border defenses were situated there.

Because the state of Czechoslovakia was not invited to the conference, the Munich Agreement is commonly called the Munich Dictate by Czechs and Slovaks (Czech: Mnichovský diktát; Slovak: Mníchovský diktát). The phrase Munich betrayal (Czech: Mnichovská zrada; Slovak: Mníchovská zrada) is also frequently used because military alliances between Czechoslovakia and France were not honored.
The Czechoslovaks were counting on political and military assistance from the French government, as they had an alliance with France. France under the leadership of Édouard Daladier was however politically unprepared for war, and the French government was dedicated to solving the crisis without entering a state of war. Czechoslovakia also had a treaty with the Soviet Union which included air bases for Soviet bombing planes and free passage to the Soviet troops through her territory to attack Germany. Stalin indicated willingness to cooperate with France and Great Britain if they decided to come to Czechoslovakia's defense.

British mass media and powerful politicians like Winston Churchill, Duff Cooper or Anthony Eden demanded war with Germany. However, Neville Chamberlain, the British prime minister, and Foreign Secretary Lord Halifax were willing to keep the peace. Hitler wanted to gain another success without war which he knew would be a disaster for Europe and Germany. The German military leadership also knew the state of their armed forces and did all they could to avoid war.
Ironically the "Peace for Our Time" deal may have actually been what teed up and allowed EU WWII to happen. Hence, had the world stood fast and stood up to "Chancellor" Hitler...maybe EU portion of WWII could have been avoided...or in the least been minimized and shut down before it's massive and horrific escalation. Winston Churchill knew what was up though...but no one listened to this "WarMonger"...until it was too late.

Another sad part is that Czechoslovakia was most likely the most progressive and democratic country in Europe, pre-Hitler. I have read that one of the heroes of their then President's (Edvard Beneš), was Abraham Lincoln. Go figure.

Sorry for the ramble...but it helps one understand more than politics but also manufacturing, history and culture related to Brno's and CZ's.

Cheers,

· Registered
3,683 Posts
Ethnically Sudetenland was largely German and lost in the reparations after WW1. That was Hitler's major argument in trying to get it back....the reality was that is was also strategically important. Another mix of German/Czech for CZs/Brnos.
Dead on Grafe. However, much of the desire for unification was related to Nazi plants and agitators. Apparently, post WWI the Sudetenland residents didn't really have the greatest desire to be apart of Germany per se (Which would been against the treaty of Versailles...not the best treaty either though.)..actually they wanted to be a completely independent state.

Many Sudeten Germans rejected affiliation with Czechoslovakia because they had been refused the right to self-determination promised by US president Woodrow Wilson in his Fourteen Points of January 1918.

Despite the wishes of the inhabitants of Sudetenland (which included German populations in Brünn (Brno), it was forced to join Czechoslovakia, partly because of the historical borders of the Kingdom of Bohemia (which was the main portion of Czechoslovakia in the same sense England is a primary home-nation of the UK), and partly because of the anti-German bias of the allies. On the other hand many German-speakers also felt themselves to be German-speaking Bohemians rather than Germans or Austrians living in Czechoslovakia.
Furthermore...
Czechoslovakia also lost 70% of its iron/steel, 70% of its electrical power, 3.5 million citizens and the famous Škoda Works to Germany as a result of the settlement. (Munich Agreement)
Definitely interesting stuff...and nothing simple or straight forward about it. :eek:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.