Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After much research on this site I decided to go with a Buckmark (over a CZ Kadet or Ruger 22/45) and was lucky enough to find an almost NIB 1996 BM at a local gun shop for $265. This is about $250 less than what a new one would cost in Maryland, so I snapped it up. Unfortunately, given Maryland's gun laws I have to wait about 10 days before I can pick it up (sigh...)

Given the fact that this piece has probably not been shot in quite some time, anything different that I should do with it before shooting? I normally break down a new gun to wipe off the excess grease and give it a lite coat of Rem Oil (Teflon). Will that suffice for the BM as well? Finally, will the breakdown of a BM from 1996 be any different from a new gun?

Thanks for any ideas and hoping the new Buckmark is as good as I hope!

· Registered
24 Posts
a fellow new owner

Well, unlike most of the shooters that I know, I am not eager to break down guns and clean them. I am not mechanically inclined at all. I just follow the directions on the manual and remove the rust preventive stuff.

I actually shot my new BM a few days ago and have only cleaned it lightly. I used a q-tip, rod and patch, and that is it. I have lots of long guns and have never used Gun Scrubber or anything harsh. I just use solvent and rem oil. Never had any problems with rust whatsoever.

But you know, if you enjoy tinkering with stuff, then it may not be a bad idea to break it down and clean up in there. :)

I may have to get a Glock one of these days. I hear they are a breeze to maintain.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.