Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well , I finally went and done it , ordered a Bench Rest Stock for the Sako ..
This should hopefully make it more stable and consistant from shot to shot ..

I can still see way too much movement with the varmint stock , also my single set trigger was a tad on the too heavy side , so Ive backed it off [ made it lighter ] ....

Its nasty when you put 3 rounds through the same hole , then make a slight movement or what ever and enlarge the group :1t I hate that !!!

Hopefully will have the BR stock around the middle of next week .....

Any sugestions on how to finnish a wood stock ? Plain wood ? Varnish ?
Paint over wood , or undercoat and supper finnish ....

Type of paint to use for that Red or Blue etc over wood look ??

Thanks guys ...

Matt

·
Registered
119 Posts
BR stock against roll and slip, i could understand.
What did you use as rest, front and rear ?.

I've just let my bipod and accushot for i hope more stability with a rear Protector bag and a front protector bag of the right size. I wait for a Caldwell Rock BR as front rest (tomorrow maybe).

I'm afraid if i must also change the stock !.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah

Front rest is Hoppes , and hoppes bags , the rear bag is OK , but the front bag "bittes" , and does not support the rifle well , a BR stock may be better .. But the Sako Varmint stock just moves around too much for BR shooting , just shot a 236 on the USBR Target in less than ideal conditions , so hopefully a BR stock may give me another 10 points .... :D

Well I can wish :p

Matt

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Matt,

What stock did you order up? I've just struck a deal on a Sako that I plan on re-stocking and am looking to see what options I've got.

I've looked at Don Stith's, but would like to explore other options before I leap.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Matt,

I hear you on the copy of the McMillian, very tempted to do that myself. It's an outstanding design but with too many other projects, not sure I've got the time to start from scratch.

I've still got an unfinished stock from Richards Microfit (nearing completion). Have to admit, I'm not likely to take that path again. I guess I can say that I was impressed with Richards Microfit work, just not favorably impressed.

I'll look forward to seeing yours once it's range ready, hoping it won't take me half of forever to get mine ready to shoot.

Good luck with it!

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah

I use talcum powder on my bags .... Im thinking of rubbing some teflon into the bottom of the stock to see if it helps as well ....

hmmmmmmmm - teflon ..... :Blasting_

·
Registered
444 Posts
BR stock

If you look back some time ago [4 months?]. There is a thread on the BR project I did. I used a predator stock from Don Stith with the aluminum bedding block installed.

I can't remember exactly what I shot on the USBR target with it, but it was in the low 240's with Wolf ME.

You can use any of the Min-wax furniture finishing products on the stock with very gratifying results.

Trigger needs to be sub two ounces.

Front rest at least Caldwell equal. Hoppes won't get it. I recommend the Fudd rest. I bet he'll ship one to ya.

If ya don't have a good set of flags you will be chasing your tail forever.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah

Top gear helps , but all my spare cash [ Lack off ] os going into the rifle ATM , My first USBR target score was 231 , then the Bolt sleeve cracked , now with the replacement , I shot 236 in less than fav conditions ...

The single set trigger was a little on the heavy side for BR but I lightened it ,
+ I just tefloned the bottom of my stock 1 hour ago ...

I only had 4 days to shoot a score for May , now I have all month and 4 goes at a good score .... :D ...

So hopefully weather permitting , I may be able to shoot a low to mid 240 ...

A 249 would be sweat :D But I dont see it with my cheap gear ....

Would be nasty though !!!!

Matt :whistle:

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok

Went and shot USBR target No1 for the month of June , unfortunately I had to mess up my barrel dampening experiment to lighten the set trigger ...

So Im not sure if thats why I had some flyers [ unexplained ] ....

But even with some flyers I shot 233 6x ....

I will continue the barrel dampening experiment with the BR stock when I get it ....

And once I know if it works or not [ 100% ] ill maybe let you guys in on it ....

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Sako report:

Matt,

I got the Lilja barrel, installed and played with the bedding. Then went back to the bedding before the playing, much better. Have been doing a lot of ammo testing, but not too many scores 228/3 and 236/5 are two of the latest. You may want to try the cordura topped bags, the checkering of the forend dosen't drag on the corgura like it did on the leather. I just bought a Protector from Sinclair and put it on last thursday night, shot the 236 the next morning, changeable 3 to 10 mph breeze, Hart rest, Hoen top and SK Standard Plus ammo, (.387 ave. .221 best group).

Len

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yep !

Thats the problem right there , drag , on the front bag ...

This is why im seriously considering painting the stock , so I can use car wax on it and make it slippery enough to not catch on the front bag ...

Most of the time my stock slides ok , but every now and then it grabs , and since my front bag dont touch the checkering , I figure it has something to do with the wood stock [ Grain ? ] ...

So doing a quality car type finnish could be the way to go to get it to slide without grabbing ... [ BR stock ]

Will get the stock some time this week :D , so will most likely shoot it in the white first ... and see how it goes ... :angel:

Matt

·
Registered
7 Posts
Inox ??

hotdogdogau said:
matt,do you use talcum powder on your bags,this helps with that bite you mentioned,ivè toyed with the thought of using INOX to see how slippery it would be!!!.seeya mate
Help me understand how you would use this material. As I understand, it is a very hard stainless type material. Is it available ground into a fine powder, would you put an insert in your stock, what ??

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah

My bags are cordura as well , but the frot bag still grabs now and then ...
I can feel the difference in recoil , and sure enough the bullet goes somewhere else ... Talcum helps , makes your rifle slide real nice , but for some reason , it still grabs now and then .....

Def going to buy a new front bag after I get the BR stock .....

Is anyone using - Layers of rubber , rather than sand ?? And say using some Cordura on top for the stock to slide on ??

Or is sand the end all be all in front rests .... ?

Matt

·
Registered
517 Posts
shotsum,sorry to disappoint you but inox is a spray lube made in the usa,like wd40 only better,but wd40 is probably not in the us either,,,,,,its a de wetter, lube and a protective coating spray {aerosol can}.slippery as a pig in mud!.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.