Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever seen or tried this stock? Picture is available here http://boydboys.com/BrowseEbus/SSall.asp. Was planning to get a Boyds Blaster but this stock caught my eye. Looks like you would get more of a pistol grip feel with this stock. Also looks kind of cool but its hard to tell with the photo. I'm mostly interested in informal freehand plinking and target shooting. Anyone have an opinion on this one?

Many Thanks,

David

·
Registered
591 Posts
I've got a Smart stock but can't make a comparison for you to the Blaster as I've not had the opportunity to shoot a 10-22 wearing one. I really like the Smart stock though, and my purposes are basically he same as yours...some target shooting as well as some informal plinking plus some left handed training for hunting situations that see to always come up. I thought it looked like the right answer and it suits me fine.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Ok...

I've got 3 Blasters and 1 SS Stock.

Comparisons

Blaster is much better for offhand shooting. The SS stock is good, but doesn't have the weight or feel of the Blaster. The SS stock will be better on the bench, because it isn't curved at the bottom of the stock.

I'm 6'2" tall and the SS stock seems to have a shorter Length of Pull (LOP). When I bring my Blaster up, it shoulders very well.
When I bring the SS stock up, the bottom of the buttpad hits the top of my shoulder.

It's definitely not a stock for someone that is over 6' tall, in my opinion.

You might also want to look at the Dakota Will. It is a very good stock and will give you the best of both worlds. I love mine!

Good luck! :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just recently got a Ruger TNZ, It has the Boyd's smart stock from the factory. I had to open up the front channel to float my vq barrel and I had to mill a small channel for the oversize safety on the VQ trigger to get through. It's an easy to work with wood. As far as the feel of this stock, I like it. I also agree with chundoo, It is an excellent stock for switching from right to left hand shooting. Which, like he said, seems to come up alot, (when trying to hide behind trees while squirrel hunting). I am using this rifle for the same type of shooting your planning on, plus I hunt with it, and I'm very pleased. However, Viper has a vaild point the SS is a shorter stock If your a taller person I could see this stock not being comfortable.

Viper, Off the subject, Will I be able to post attachments once my membership starts?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice. I don't know - I'm torn between the Blaster and the SS. I'm about 5'10'' so perhaps the LOP won't be an issue but I'm thinking that even so the Blaster will have a better offhand feel to it. I just think the Blaster looks kind of weird!

·
Registered
22 Posts
David H.,

I'm 5'10" also and the Smart Stock fits me just fine. I purchased the stock so that I could learn to shoot left'handed. For me, it shoulders naturally, and the pistol grip allows easy access to the trigger. When I ordered my Pepper Smart Stock, Boyd's had it in stock and it arrived in less than a week.

Jon

·
Registered
591 Posts
I'm just a little shy of 6'2" and don't find any problem with the LOP of the smart stock. Maybe my arms aren't as long as Vipers?? It shoulders just fine, and my eye lines up naturally with the scope. The higher comb of the Blaster seemed like it would have been a problem for me...but then again I have to have cast off for my shotguns and flintlock to fit right. The Dakota Will doesn't look like it would be as good for ambidextrious use.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I recently received their ROSS THUMBHOLE stock pepper, finished, drop-in. I am quite happy with it. It took twenty minutes of light sanding in the barrell channel to get it fully freefloated to my liking, but it is very nice. Much improved ergonomics over the factory jobber, looks purdy, good balance with an 18.5" .920 diam barrel, which is also Boyd's and is the best addition I have made to the 10/22 as of yet, save the trigger work. Accuracy is much more fun.

·
Registered
320 Posts
ss is nice

Hi just got mine a week or 2 ago and it is nice and should be good off the bench but the blaster is better offhand

NOXT YEAR I WANT BOYDS TO BIULD ME A BENCHREST SS OR BLASTER as I come from centerfire benchrest and would love a VQ action in a real bench stock with a kid trigger to show the high and mighty how a semi can preform. yes I will also have a hall .22 in a bench stock but this is also meant to be fun and if it costs a penny or 2 it would be worth it
I am sure boyds would not sell very many but the bench stock would be 1 of a kind oh and very nice folks to deal with jeff

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.