Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
A store an hour away had the Trailside with 4.5" barrel and fixed sights on sale at $299.00 NIB. So I rushed to the PD for a purchase permit, the bank and then the store. The sales rep. said they put various handguns on sale and list them over at Guns America, were I saw the add for the Trailside BTW. This was one of two left at the sale price, once the other was gone the price went up to $440. The Trailside is my first rimfire handgun and a **** good deal to boot. Oh and this is my first post here, glad to have found this site.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I have a 4.5" Trailside Target model. It is an EXCELLENT shooter. I hope you have as much fun with yours as I do with mine. I generally shoot Federal #510 ammo through all of my .22s. It is inexpensive, at Gander Mountain, and shoots well. It is quite unusual to have any problems with the Trailside/Federal combo.

Mike
4.5" Trailside Target
4.5" Beretta Neos Inox
6.5" Ruger SS Super Single Six

·
Registered
83 Posts
Enjoy the Trailside, I certainly do mine!

Heres what it likes to shoot:

-CCI Standard Vel
-CCI Mini Mags (solid)
-Federal Target (#714)...this isnt made anymore, but some places still have it
-Eley Pistol Target

And for bulk, as most people here will tell you, Winchester Dynapoints are great. Bear in mind when reading about people's expereince with ammo, lots of people here are shooting rifles. The various brands will function much differently in a pistol. Shoot lots of ammo to see what YOUR gun likes. Might not shoot any of my suggestions well.

All are similar in accuracy at 25M (open sights), but there are cost differences. Federal is the least expensive and seems to be just as good. I'm sitting on 2K+ rounds!

Enjoy

jonas

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have the same model as well. Sure wish I'd paid the price you did. The Trailside is a good shooter and feels great in my hand. But honestly, I haven't been that impressed with their use of plastic parts and for that reason I think the gun's been over-priced. However $299 is a great deal and you should be very pleased. It is a fun gun to shoot (but don't over tighten the cube shaped piece under the front of the barrel, you need to R&R it to take the slide off )

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Brendan said:
Hello,
A store an hour away had the Trailside with 4.5" barrel and fixed sights on sale at $299.00 NIB. So I rushed to the PD for a purchase permit, the bank and then the store. The sales rep. said they put various handguns on sale and list them over at Guns America, were I saw the add for the Trailside BTW. This was one of two left at the sale price, once the other was gone the price went up to $440. The Trailside is my first rimfire handgun and a **** good deal to boot. Oh and this is my first post here, glad to have found this site.
Boy thats a great deal! I gave $350 for mine, nice shooting guns ..... I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

Dave Z.

·
Registered
83 Posts
New_geezer said:
I have the same model as well. Sure wish I'd paid the price you did. The Trailside is a good shooter and feels great in my hand. But honestly, I haven't been that impressed with their use of plastic parts and for that reason I think the gun's been over-priced. However $299 is a great deal and you should be very pleased. It is a fun gun to shoot (but don't over tighten the cube shaped piece under the front of the barrel, you need to R&R it to take the slide off )
While I understand that purists don't like the feel or look of the Zytel (plastic) parts, I haven't found any issue with them. With the exception noted above: the attachment below the muzzle...serves no real function. I did overtighten and thus strip mine...ended up replacing with a 95gr weight from Larry's. Adds a nice balace. I paid just under $500 for a 6" w/adjustable sights. Not sure that's overpaying for something that 1) fits my hand really well, 2) is a Hammerli, 3) made and backed up by Sig, 4) will last probably forever, and 5) has been reported by MANY to shoot as well as or even outshoot S&W M-41's and High Standards (which often cost much more). Yeah, not as cheap as a Ruger, Walther, or S&W...but having picked up each of those (and read alot about them), I know I didn't overpay.

cheers

jonas

·
Registered
223 Posts
No for $299 he got an excellent deal on a good gun. But I think the $440 he said the price was going up to is over-priced. I think $350-$375 is about tops what it should cost. I don't have an issue with the plastic handles per se,. They're just cheap to make, as is that plastic cube. Note too the plastic is used to extend the handles past the bottom of the frame. Now I don't think they're necessarily poor design decisions, but they do lower the cost of manufacture and that's why I think they're over-priced. I like mine, it's fun to shoot and I don't expect to get rid of it, but I also think I overpaid, JMHO.

PS - The one use of plastic that I really do question are the plastic magazines. Those I don't like but to be fair I haven't had any problems with mine yet and I have 3 - though again they are overpriced.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I fully agrere about the mags cost. They run about $40-50, which for a plastic, 10-rnd clip seems a bit much. Tho, I guess it's not just "any" plastic. Zytel must be something special, as its used in knife handles, and I think maybe my Tikka clips too (they run $50-60). I'll have to research a bit....

http://www.automotive.dupont.com/en/productServices/engineeringPlastics/zytelNylon.html

It took me a while to decide on the Trailside, given the cost relative to other .22s. But, in the end I knew I wanted something I'd keep basically forever that would be of great quality. SIG basically defines that. Yup, coulda bought a Ruger and had it forever and paid just over 1/2. Or a S&W, or a Walther. But the SIG just felt better. Like everything else, personal preference!

Now, I just have to make sure Im hitting my target to make it a wise investment!!

cheers

jonas

·
Registered
223 Posts
It always comes down to personal preference, if you like the gun and don't mind the price, then buy and be happy.

I do like the way the Trailside has designed the barrel and frame into an integrated piece. I consider that a plus. But it occurs to me that with a separate frame and barrel you can "geek" other guns with add-ons, upgrades and accessories quite a bit. You can do some things with the Trailside but not so much compared to a Ruger or Buckmark. If that's your interest it might affect your choice. Personally I prefer my (overpriced :) ) Trailside as is. I tried it with a red dot which was OK but until my eyes go completely I'll stick with the open sights on this one.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
I used to know a fellow that had a plastics business and one day at the range another guy was griping about how much this plastic piece cost and how it was such BS. Well he got told "Why don't you go into business making those plastic parts and sell them cheaper! Once you see the cost of manufacturing and realize there is more to it than the 5 cents of raw materials you won't make such comments." The guy quit griping.

Dave Z.

·
Registered
83 Posts
New_geezer said:
It always comes down to personal preference, if you like the gun and don't mind the price, then buy and be happy.

I do like the way the Trailside has designed the barrel and frame into an integrated piece. I consider that a plus. But it occurs to me that with a separate frame and barrel you can "geek" other guns with add-ons, upgrades and accessories quite a bit. You can do some things with the Trailside but not so much compared to a Ruger or Buckmark. If that's your interest it might affect your choice. Personally I prefer my (overpriced :) ) Trailside as is. I tried it with a red dot which was OK but until my eyes go completely I'll stick with the open sights on this one.
Yeah, tricking it out would be fun (and more $$$$!!!!). But one of the great appeals of the Trailside is that you have to do virtually nothing to it and it's a brilliant shooter. I wasn't going to bring this up earlier, but many a Ruger owner has modified their piece just to get to the performance of an out-of-the-box Trailside (no offense). But yes, I do realized Rugers can also be just fine w/o mods. Also, it's simplicity of cleaning/maintanence is also a huge plus. I don't mean to disparage other's guns, but these are the reasons I spent almost $500 for mine.

As for the grips, there are the alternative comp. grips. And, the very hard to find blue-gray laminated grips. I actually have a line on a set of those and will be adding them to my Trailside soon. One could certainly make their own grips...

cheers

jonas

·
Registered
223 Posts
gmcfixer said:
I used to know a fellow that had a plastics business and one day at the range another guy was griping about how much this plastic piece cost and how it was such BS. Well he got told "Why don't you go into business making those plastic parts and sell them cheaper! Once you see the cost of manufacturing and realize there is more to it than the 5 cents of raw materials you won't make such comments." The guy quit griping.
OK - now try convincing me manufacturers use plastic parts because they're more expensive to make.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.