Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Bore sighting a scope

550 Views 7 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Glock
I have a Ssmmons 22 Mag scope that I'm trying to sight in for using Colibris with, 50 yards max. I wondered why I wasn't getting any hits so I'm visually bore sighting it, and the scope is pointing about a foot to the left. I've tried adjusting this thing a good 80-100 clicks to the right and it doesn't seem to have moved at all. How much can I adjust this thing, and what could be going wrong?
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3,463 Posts
Sounds to me like you are adjusting it in the wrong direction for one thing. If the scope is "pointing a foot to the left" as you say, then the point of impact will be a foot to the right of point of aim. You would need to move the windage adjustment about a foot (about 24 minutes or 100 clicks on a 1/4 min/click scope assuming you are boresighting @ 50 yards) to the left.

· Registered
449 Posts
I'm beginning to wonder about spending money to have a rifle scope bore sighted. Had a gunstore do my 223 and it was off by inches at 50 yds. On my 17 I mounted it myself, a Leupold 3x9x40 and started at 25 yds. Made adjustments and moved to 50 yds. Made a slight adjustment and moved to 100 yds. She's dead on now. I did read when mounting a scope for sight-in you should turn the elevation (and windage) knob to the furthest point clockwise. Then counterclockwise counting the number of clicks. Divide it in half and the crosshairs should be centered. I.E., 150 total clicks to stop = 75 clicks back to center. Never tried it but it makes sense.

· Registered
3,463 Posts
What you are describing (centering the adjustments) amounts to synchronyzing the mechanical & optical centers of the scope. I made a jig (a wooden set of "V"-blocks) that will allow you to refine this further than "counting the clicks". Your scope is most efficient when so optically/mechanically centered. This is why I am such a fan of the Burris Signature rings & their offset inserts. These allow you to pre-center the scope then bore-sight the rig almost dead-on using the inserts & never touching the internal scope adjustments until the final tweaking.

· Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
claybuster said:
Sounds to me like you are adjusting it in the wrong direction for one thing. If the scope is "pointing a foot to the left" as you say, then the point of impact will be a foot to the right of point of aim. You would need to move the windage adjustment about a foot (about 24 minutes or 100 clicks on a 1/4 min/click scope assuming you are boresighting @ 50 yards) to the left.
For some reason the forum didn't email me when I had replies. I know I was sighting it in correctly, and finally got it pretty close I think. It still points clear to the left when bore sighting it, but it pretty close on when shooting it. Quite strange.

· Registered
3,463 Posts
How far left does the scope appear to be "looking"? I assume this is a bolt-gun so you can look thru the bore & thru the scope to bore-sight. If the POI is actually way left of where you see looking thru the bore something very strange is going on.........

· Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When it's right on with the bore, it's 1-2 feet to the left with the scope, and a bit high. When I shoot it now though, it seems to be pretty close, I can't get to the range to test it with full powered ammo though, so I'm discounting it's somewhat inaccuracy now due to the COlibri.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.