Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone have any thoughts on different kits that are out there? Good ones/bad ones? are the cheap ones worthwhile?

the gunshop sells a BSA kit for 45 bucks, charges 35 bucks to do it, wouldn't it be safe to just buy the stupid kit and save the money?

anything I should look for in a kit?

· Banned
1,095 Posts
Sorry, Strat, I don't have any exp with bore sighters, however I have never seen a shop in these parts charge more than 5 bucks to bore sight. 35, you say, YIKES!!!!! I can't beleive a shop actually robs shooters like that, let alone to think there are actually folks dumb enought to pay it~

The BSA sound like a good price, as all you really need to do is get the shot on the paper, so you can fine tune from there.

· Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the problem I had today was, the best I could get with the adjustments on the scope all the way to the stop was about an inch to the right of the target. Well, the group was the size of a dime, and the scope was a pretty decent nikon, so I ruled out me and the scope, the problem? The rings (were cheap) but not in alignment, a trip to the counter later I had a set of Leupold rings, a mount and for 35 bucks they'd boresight it. Well, ok, that was fine.

but during the conversation he mentioned the 45 BSA bore sighter kit, I'm thinking to myself, why pay them 35 bucks when I can own the kit for 45?

· Registered
154 Posts
Stratcat,

I find it very easy to sight a rifle in with sandbags. And since you got kids....just have them turn the screw while you tell them when to stop. You saw mine(group) that I posted and I got it to shoot like that all by myself.:)

· Registered
615 Posts
You can boresight most rifles in about 2 minutes with no special tools. I use my benchrest setup to do it, but I have used a padded vise on my workbench. All you got to do is remove the bolt, look down the barrel, and move the gun so you can see a target of some kind through the bore. Then tighten down whatever's holding the gun. Then, while looking through the scope, adjust the crosshairs so they're aiming at the same target. Of course, this doesn't work on 10/22s or similar autos unless you have a cleaning hole drilled in the back of the receiver.

· Registered
321 Posts
Gunsmiths

Support your gunsmith..for sure,he may turn out to be your best friend(mine is,I helped build his new shop).But he/she should also remember who the people are that keep his doors open and the lights turned on.

· Registered
1,824 Posts
Well at 35 bucks

They should at least give you a kiss
when they are threw.:D :D :D

Seriously the kits work fine to get
you on paper and save ammo.
I had a Bushnell a long time ago,but
don't know what happened to it.
Someone borrowed it and kept it I think.
Anyway never bothered to replace it,
just start off at 10 or 15 yards and
adjust as necessary
Don't take but a few shots.

BTW - Pinball has a leupold mount and
rings for sale in the FOR SALE Forum.
Real good deal.

· Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know, but unfortunately Pinball's mount wasn't going to help me this afternoon after I'd paid my 20 range fee :( and to make it worse the girlfriend was making me look real bad :D

I may have to take him up on that offer though... I see more 10/22 projects in my future.

· Registered
514 Posts
It sounds to me like they were going to mount and boresight the scope. If they mount the rings. confirm they are concentric (in alignment) and lap them, as well as mounting the scope, boresighting, and do any shiming necessary. $35 is pretty good. In fact if they do the above without the lapping, it's still a fair price around here. Remeber the object is to get the scope as close to on target as posible with just the mounts so as to retain the full use of the windage & elevation adjustments built into the scope.

Now if you walk in a shop with a scope already on the rifle and ask them to just boresight it for you using the windage and elevation knobs, then $35 is a bit much.

As far as the BSA boresighter goes, I'd ask to see the box first to see if it said made in Japan or China.

· Registered
13 Posts
One thing to keep in mind if you mount and boresight your own scope... be sure to start with all the reticule adjusments in the center of their adjustment. Do this by going all the way counter clockwise and then fully clockwise counting the number or turns. Devide by 2 and come back to that point. Do this for both elevation and windage. Now when you start to boresight you are starting from "zero" . Another thing most good gunsmiths will tell you is that you should not use much more than1/4 of the available adjustment on the scope to bring it into "boreshight" alignment. Anything more than that should be corrected by either shimming or working with the mounts. With Weaver style (clamping type) mounts something as simple as swapping the front ring with the back ring may bring things into reasonable alignment. Once the rifle is correctly boresighted, it should take very little effort and very little adjustment to bring it to your selected zero point.

· Registered
1,157 Posts
stratcat,

If you had walked into that shop with a rifle and a bag-o-parts, and they did everything BigMac mentioned, then $35.... maybe!

If you bought the parts from them, they should do it for next-to-nothing. And if you bought the scope and other parts from them, they should do it FREE.

I've never been charged for boresighting when buying the scope, rings, and mounts...... it just ain't right.

JMHO......

· Registered
235 Posts
this is what ive done with my leupold sighter. make a grid of the pattern. zero at 50 yards mark it on the pattern zero at 100 yards mark it. and further if ya want. you dont have to keep track of how many clicks. if you change scopes keep the patern with the scope. when you put it back on just bring the cross hairs back to 50 or 100 yards. and you will be close.
john

· Registered
329 Posts
StratCat

If y'all would folla my advice and get dem dere Burris Signature rings and a set of eksentrik inserts, ya woodn't have dat problem. :rolleyes:

· Registered
321 Posts
Stratcat

hope you get her lined out.Remember you'll probably have to carry me.Actually,your whole family will probably have to carry me.Haha

· Registered
503 Posts
When work is done on a gun using tools that have to be special bought, the min. charge is 10.00 in my shop. For 15.00, the scope is set at the proper eye releif, holes degreased and loctite is used before bore sighting. If the customer bought the glass here, all work is done free of charge. It is amazing how many shooters have no idea about proper eye releif and have to crawl the stock to shoot........

I had a Tasco with a universal spud that I tossed; got a Simmons with seperate spuds for each cal. and it has worked very well for several years.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.