Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all,

I had nice extrensive shooting day and testing various brands of ammo a great attention was made when several times my bolt wasn't locking back after the last round. This was even with the new magazines (597) I had bought. At first I thought the problem was the magazines since their's so much controversay over them. I even nocticed that the springs were unusually weak :-(. Well after about 100 rounds from each of them I noticed the metal ones were malfunctioning. OK not problem. Their dirty and needs to be cleaned. Getting back to the bolt stop. I had noticed that the magazine springs are so weak that they can't get the lever up to engage the bolt!!! What a bummer. The magazines springs are weak and the stop lever is unusually crude BUT simple. It's bad side is the lever is too exposed to fouling making it gummy.

Anyone have a solution to the lever?

wmrimfire,22

·
Registered
590 Posts
Still better than my 1022, it does not have one and it will cost me to get a last round hold open which has never failed on my 597. I shoot only clean CCI ammo in numbers, and clean my rifle religiously. I suspect that may be one reason my rifle has done me so well. I have fired up to 250 rounds at one trip. That is a bunch of paper shooting folks. I had a star growing on the crown of my rifle.

·
Registered
764 Posts
It is simple but ALOT of semiauto firearms use the same method to lock the bolt open on the last round. Often, it is a tab on the follower that pushes up on a lever which holds the bolt back.

You could try stretching the mag spring out a tad so it has abit more ummph.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tsubaki said:
It is simple but ALOT of semiauto firearms use the same method to lock the bolt open on the last round. Often, it is a tab on the follower that pushes up on a lever which holds the bolt back.

You could try stretching the mag spring out a tad so it has abit more ummph.
Tsubaki,

Nice to hear from you. I'll try stretching tweaking the spring a little like you mentioned to see what happens. At this point I'll try anything as I spent allot of money on these over priced magazines. Part of the problem is the "bolt stop" mechanism I feel needs attention also. I might order a whole new assembly from Brownells to see if the condition improves. If it doesn't I might just remove it as it's more trouble than it's worth. So it becomes another 10/22 rifle. I'm suppose to enjoy my rifle and not to sweat over it at the range. This rifle gives me more gray hair than going to work.

Thanks,

wmrimfire,22

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.