Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My stock bolt lock sometimes catches on the hammer bushing and wont relese the bolt. You have to hold the rifle on its left side to make it disengage. What is happening is with all the "slop" between the bolt stop and its neighbors, it leans over and catches on top of the left hammer bushing and keeps the bolt open. I plan on making a shim and placing it on the top bolt stop pin, is this a common problem and is there a better fix?

·
Registered
954 Posts
Polish It ?

:) Perhaps try rounding the edge of the bolt stop where it is catching, and polish it. Maybe round the hammer bushing edges also; these can be rather sharp. Manually push it to make it catch, duplicating the problem, and you should see where it needs rounding and polishing. :)

While your at it, polish the insides of the bolt stop holes; the top, "Heart" shaped one, and the lower, elongated one; this will make the bolt stop operate much smoother, like its supposed too. Rough edges in these holes may be compounding your problem, also. :eek:

Lot of times there's a small "tit" like protrusion at the bottom part of the "Heart" hole that needs smoothing; also the point of the "Heart" should be rounded and smoothed. Wet or Dry Auto sandpaper in small strips works good; Dremel tool with small, fine, Cratex type abrasive point is faster, possibly better. Hope this helps. Safe Shooting, Always ! "gunsmither" :cool:

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fixed

Put a small brass washer on the top pin that holds the bolt stop on the left side of the stop, works great, holds everything nice and in place, I guess because there is no slop, it operates better than I have ever felt any 10/22 stop work. Really made a huge improvement, mabey the washer keeps the sides of the bolt stop from rubbing anything also aiding in the much improved stop function? This is more than a fix, its a improvement!

·
Registered
954 Posts
Great idea !

:) Great idea spam4 ! :t Did you put it between the Ejector and the bolt lock on the pin ? That's what it sounds like in your post, but it's a wee bit hard to understand. Could you clarify it for us ? Thanks in advance, and Safe Shooting ! "gunsmither" :cool:

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Picture is worth a thousand misspeled words

Here it is, Havnt shot yet, but cant imagine any problems. Its a very thin washer, I moved the ejector aside so you can see better.

·
Registered
954 Posts
'tis what I thought you meant !

:) A most excellent idea, sir ! :t :t Thanks for the great pictures and a great idea. I looked thru my washer assortments today, but I've nothing thin enough; might make some out of shim stock, Safe Shooting ! "gunsmither" :cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.