Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are all 10/22 bolt buffers created equal? I have a Buffer Tech. 10/22 bolt buffer on one of my 10/22lr's . I just purchased two weaponcraft bolt buffers for my 10/22mag & they seem flimsy when compared to the other brand buffer. Everyone raves about weaponcraft but like I said I just received the buffer & have not tried it yet. Just wondering....thanks

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
DOGMAN,

No, they aren't created equal.

Some are "steel core" plastic sleeved, others are a 100% "Flexible Poly".....

I know that Dakotan did alot of searching and experimenting to find the right material that can do the job, reliably.

And just like that "Energizer Bunny" they just keep on going....and going.....and going.....

:t

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
I have Dakotan's buffers in some of my LR guns and they work fine.

For my pair of 10/22 Magnums (one's a .17HMR, the other is .22WMR), I went looking for something more substantial, and ended up making my own using a 1 1/4" long piece of 1/4" OD model airplane fuel tubing, with a similar length piece of steel drill rod inside. It offers the strength of steel and the cushioning of rubber. This arrangement has held up very well.

Someone, (ski?) has said that Volquartsen offers a buffer very similar to the ones I made for mine.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
9X19 is correct....

The Volq. "buffer" is that "steel cored, plastic sleeved" type, that I told you about.

I've never made my own, as "9" has, but, both styles (Dakotan & Volq.) have both worked equally, as well.

The point is..... What you called "flimsy" is just as strong and reliable as the "stiffer" ones that you mentioned.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I Hear This A Lot...

DOGMAN, all I can tell you is install the spacer in your Mag, fight my Buffer into place;) , and start pounding the rounds through it.
I absolutely promise you that you won't be disappointed.

The real "technical" difference between BufferTech's product (and the others that use "stiff" polymers" and mine is how the bolt recoil energy is absorbed, and where that energy gets dumped. A stiff polymer will place most of the stress on the actual Bolt-Stop Pin holes, and you'll notice the marks on that section of the buffer after relatively few rounds. The bolt makes a nice indentation on it as well.

My Buffer, being as flexible as it is, distributes the recoil energy into the spacer, and across the entire rear wall of the receiver; NOT just the holes.
The spacer is there to keep the geometry between the Bolt and the Buffer itself correct, and further absorb the bolt's kinetic energy.
In my opinion, the ONLY other buffer that should be used in a 10/22 Magnum is the Steel-Core design.

I was fortunate enough to find a virtually indestructible material with a shear modulus that's nearly off the scale for my Buffers, and they'll do dual duty; LR or Magnum.

Let me know how it goes! Good, bad or ugly, I appreciate the feedback! :D

Thanks & Take Care! - Dakotan

·
Registered
952 Posts
Dakotan Buffers = Top Shelf !!!!!

:t :t Dakotan's Buffers are the Buffest Buffers By Far !!! I've made my own, and have used the way overpriced ones from Volq's, and Brownells, and his, "Little Orange Pipes" are tops! Really takes a lot of the "Click out of the Clack" ! Installed on 6 guns so far, and everybody loves em! Gotta order some more soon. Safe Shootin! Joe:cool:

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Dakotan,

I think I forgot to tell ya.....

Your Buffer doesn't fit my Volq. Magnum, at all.

Volquartsen's Magnum buffer is 5/16" dia. and it's placed to rest right up against the inside wall, just like a Ruger LR.

Probably the reason they made the thicker buffer, to eliminate the space.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
5/16" you say? No Problem!

As a matter of fact Ski, I could have that diameter Buffer for you in short order! They would the same urethane alloy as the ones I offer now. I don't know what it would do for your warranty, though! :eek:
But........ with enough interest........ Hmmmmmm:D

Take Care - Dakotan

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Dakotan,

You know that I'd be interested!!!!

Any chance we could get some GREEN recoil buffers for Volquartsens?

Or some other bright color?

Just a thought! :)

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Viper!

What is it with you and these bright colors??

"bumble bee" yellow..... "lime green" buffers....?

BWAHAHAHA!

Dakotan,

Don't bother, on my account.....

Didja forget?

I know.......

;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.