Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

BM Differences

298 3
I recently purchased a Buckmark Hunter and am very happy with it. I installed a Bass Pro red dot sight which appears to finally enable me to see the sights with my old eyes. When we were young, we enjoyed shooting, so I am happy to get back in the game.

My question is that several have made the statement that the less expensive Buckmarks were not as accurate. I notice that the parts seem to be the same in both the less and more expensive guns except for triggers. Is there really an edge in accuracy with a more expensive pistol?

Also, several object to removing the top rail during cleaning and state it that it leads to changes in accuracy. I only have to remove the back rail and barrel screws to completely strip down. It doesn't appear to change the accuracy much or at all when this is done. The red dot stays on the barrel/rib assembly during the tear down. Is the change in point of impact really affected?
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,507 Posts
I recently purchased a Buckmark Hunter and am very happy with it. I installed a Bass Pro red dot sight which appears to finally enable me to see the sights with my old eyes. When we were young, we enjoyed shooting, so I am happy to get back in the game.

My question is that several have made the statement that the less expensive Buckmarks were not as accurate. I notice that the parts seem to be the same in both the less and more expensive guns except for triggers. Is there really an edge in accuracy with a more expensive pistol?

Also, several object to removing the top rail during cleaning and state it that it leads to changes in accuracy. I only have to remove the back rail and barrel screws to completely strip down. It doesn't appear to change the accuracy much or at all when this is done. The red dot stays on the barrel/rib assembly during the tear down. Is the change in point of impact really affected?
Chim is our resident BuckMark expert and will be by in a while to more thoroughly answer your question. With my limited knowledge, if you don't have to move your sight as it sits on the barrel rail then the point of impact shouldn't change. That is what is nice about the Brownings, assuming that you don't have to remove the sight to get to the back screw.

I set up my old Challenger with a Red Dot sight and I can remove the barrel with no change in the point of impact.

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
Welcome aboard Frank. You and M2HB already have it figured out.

The Hunter has an even more solid top rail that most Buck Marks because the rail and the barrel have mating radii and are really locked into each other. It's my habit to mount optics forward enough to access the rearmost rail screw. That screw and the barrel mount screw in front of the trigger allow the barrel/rail/red dot to be removed as a unit. Resighting is normally not required.

The 5.5 Target, 5.5 Field and Contour have full length ribs that are extremely solid. Other models have good solid mounts, but fasten "flat-to-flat" to the rear of the barrel.

Triggers with overtravel adjustment make a big difference to me. Browning sells them for around 10 bucks and I'd recommend one - I don't think the Hunter comes with one from the factory. It's been my observation on pistols equipped with OT screws aren't adjusted all that well from the factory anyway.

I have barrels that range from 4" to 9-7/8" and from a variety of models. They are all good accurate barrels. A few models have "adjustable triggers" which amount to an overtravel adjustment and a screw for a very slight adjustment to the preload on the sear spring. The latter doesn't make much difference

I'd suggest you have a look at the sticky "Buck Mark Starter Thread" at the top and if you decide to do anything inside or replace that trigger check the link below..............chim

http://chim.embarqspace.com

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your replies. I think I will upgrade the trigger at some point, as I have been thinking of ordering a few parts. It would probably not hurt to have some clips for the recoil spring, a screw and washer, and a buffer on hand.

A retaining clip sprang off during my initial breakdown for cleaning, and those things can hide in plain sight. Thank goodness for a magnet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.