Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a serious question. I know that the Ruger aluminum receivers do not take to anodizing well. I want to 'blue' one of them to get it as close to a standard blue/black of a modern barrel.

I will do all the paint stripping and polishing myself so I know how good it turns out will be up to how I prep the surface. My question is... what can I use to accomplish this? Will Perma Blue work? Will any cold blue process? Would I have to invest in a Hot Blue kit (many 100 $$)? Will I have to resort to a spray paint and hope the color is close?

I really want to know how I can do this right. Anybody got any experience or know anyone that is an expert at metal refinishing?

Mark

·
Registered
10,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought about powder coating, but it tends to be a little on the thick side. I am hoping to find something a little more thin and veeeery shiney!

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Markbo, i don't think the aluminum will take bluing. But, i bet Tuck could spray a candy blue, (translucent blue ) on a polished receiver that would look like an ultra deep bluing. kinda like the old S & W master blue. Then finish with a tough clear coat, might work. :D

·
Registered
647 Posts
Brownells Teflon/Moly Oven Cure Gun Finish (#1 and it applies very thin) or Gun-Kote. Powder coat or bake-on enamel are also options. Lightly bead blasting before will make it stick better and give it a nice matte finish as well. Polishing the receiver and spraying it will give it a nice matte luster.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Everyone is correct , you cannot blue aluminum. There is a web site to check out it's www.johnnorrellarms.com I'm going to use this process because I've already tried the Brownells bake on spray can paint, it's ok but does not hold up to hard usage and it's finicky as far as lot to lot. One lot may spray on very nice an the next alittle gritty looking. I believe in usuing an air brush for a superior finish on aluminum other than anodizing.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Why Not?

Markbo said:
This is a serious question. I know that the Ruger aluminum receivers do not take to anodizing well. I want to 'blue' one of them to get it as close to a standard blue/black of a modern barrel.

I will do all the paint stripping and polishing myself so I know how good it turns out will be up to how I prep the surface. My question is... what can I use to accomplish this? Will Perma Blue work? Will any cold blue process? Would I have to invest in a Hot Blue kit (many 100 $$)? Will I have to resort to a spray paint and hope the color is close?

I really want to know how I can do this right. Anybody got any experience or know anyone that is an expert at metal refinishing?

Mark
Markbo,

I don't understand why Ruger's receivers don't take well to anodizing cuz they make'em from the same material as always. They use to be "hard anodized" before the 70's. After that they started to polymer coat them for economy. Personally it SHOULD do well. The anodizing will actually make the receiver stronger! Who told you that?

wmrimfire,22

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Here's something else from Brownells, I don't know anything about it but maybe someone else has tried it.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=4941&title=ALUMINUM+BLACK

Also, I don't know why hard coat anodizing won't work but it does add about .001" of thickness, is tougher than nails and is not translucent so irregularities in the base aluminum color don't show through. Yor are limited in the number of colors with hard coat anodizing.

Here's an alunimum stock that Squawsach built and had hard coat anodized.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79835&highlight=Ninja

Good luck

sawdust

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I've used it. Don't waste your resources.
Aluminum "Black" varies in color from alloy to alloy, and doesn't hold up well to say the least. It can actually be buffed off with coarse-fiber (aka the "cheap") paper towels.
This is strictly my own opinion, but with the number of colors available in materials, Powder Coating is probably your best bet. The problem is finding a good shop.... or, here in South Dakota, ANY shop.
Properly applied, the coating doesn't have to be thick to be durable, and is more resistant to various cleaning solvents than most automotive paints.

Another thought may be "Dura-Coat" from Lauer Custom Weaponry; sorry I don't have a URL for them. It's an epoxy based coating and also highly resistant to solvents. There may just be a color available to suit your needs; just a thought!

FWIW! ;) - Dakotan

·
Registered
8,645 Posts
you can also send it to robar for roguard treatment (black) or np3 (silver) both are tougher than a burnt boot but a little pricey. as usuall you get what you pay for

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.