Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put together a 17m2 on a old 10-22 action. Whistle Pig barrel with EABCO bolt handle, P/C adj. trigger kit, bolt buffer and VQ extractor. I don't know if I got a hot load or what but it went BOOM. Blowning power residue into the mag. and out the ejection port. Appon tear down and inspection I noticed the extractor, spring and pin were missing. Now I have no idea besides a hot round that would cause this. I swapped in a different bolt with the Eabco handle, and it fired about 500 rounds with out a Boom just stove piping about 1 out of 20. Any ideas?
Thanks.

· Registered
5,149 Posts
If the bolt is slightly out of battery, the rear of the case will blow with exactly the results you described. Had this happen with another make of rifle.

A 10/22 will fire slightly out of battery. In fact, I routinely pull the bolt handle back about 1/8" and pull the trigger at the end of the day to drop the hammer. Yes I know it's supposedly "safe" to dry-fire a 10/22 but I do this anyway.

The OOB condition on that round could have been caused by any number of things--slightly oversized round, bent or distorted bullet, a speck of dirt in the chamber, slight hangup in the recoil spring, etc. My rifle has not repeated its kaboom and it sounds like yours is running fine again now too. These things just happen every once in a while. That's why we ALWAYS wear shooting glasses when we shoot, comprende? :D

Oh, sorry to hear you lost your $12 VQ extractor. Ouch! :(

· Registered
2,470 Posts
Snake45 said:
If the bolt is slightly out of battery, the rear of the case will blow with exactly the results you described. Had this happen with another make of rifle.

A 10/22 will fire slightly out of battery. In fact, I routinely pull the bolt handle back about 1/8" and pull the trigger at the end of the day to drop the hammer. Yes I know it's supposedly "safe" to dry-fire a 10/22 but I do this anyway.
(
I bet this is what happends, same exact thing happen to me with 17 hmr, You could have had a stovepipe that only caught the rim, the gun will fire with the bolt a ways back, the only thing that will stop it from firing is the back of the bolt (to close to the hammer for the hammer to fall)

Your problem might also have been a dirty chamber, a bad sear (causing doubles) depending on how fast it doubled and if it went boom on the double you may not have noticed.

The sear on my 10/22 mag had hardly any notch for the hammer to hang on, the 17 hmr cycles the action very fast, and double were almost like one bang. I wouldn't go messing with the sear less you have another to compare to, or switch them out.

Hope this helps

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.