Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just stripped a factory walnut carbine stock and the finish is very blotchy.It seems to have pulled the stain from some parts and not others.I applied a second coat of stripper and it is a little better but not much.BTW I am using Citri Strip.Thanks! :confused:

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
If it has stain on the wood, its probly a birch stock instead of walnut. The dark areas come from end grain and soft spots in the wood where the stain soaked in. You can try bleaching them out or sanding them out. If you restain it those areas will again become darker then the rest. One product that does help a little is a pre-stain conditioner, Min-Wax makes one that I have used before that seems to work pretty well. It will help eliminate some of those dark spots and give you a more even color when you go to restain.

·
Registered
555 Posts
mac57t said:
Does bleach harm the grain in any way?
Bleach won't harm the grain, but it will raise it. Every time I have used it, I didn't feel like I needed to use much, so I applied it to a rag and 'wiped' the whole stock until I was happy with the overall 'color'. Still had to sand with some 220 grit to get back to the level of smoothness I was looking for before staining.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
it shouldn't hurt it

mac57t said:
Does bleach harm the grain in any way?
I have applied it with rags, brushes, and finally with a spray bottle. I prefer the spray bottle, but for use outside as the fumes are horrendous. I like to rinse it with hot water after it has set a while with the bleach on it. Sometimes two coats are helpful, sometimes one light coat is enough.

The hot water rinse will raise the grain. I let the stock air dry for 24 hours after rinsing. Then I use 0000 steel wool to smooth and burnish the wood. The grain will look awesome. I have done twelve birch and three walnut stocks with this method and the results are wonderful.

·
Registered
21,547 Posts
MAC,

yea, well, when ruger was getting into the "cut- cost" thing, they went to birch wood for their stocks and "stained" them a walnut color. had an old "walnut" looking stock.
started sanding and got blotchy. took the 1/4 pad hand sander to it and it was not walnut, came out white, got rid of the blotchies, tho'. walnut will go thru and thru, no matter how much you sand. after re-staining that stock came out looking pretty good.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Mac57t

Can you post a pic that shows what the wood looks like? I bet we could tell if it is walnut or birch from a few closeup photos.

What type of Wood Bleach do you have? It can be the normal Chlorine (like Chlorox) and Oxalic Acid types. The two part or A/B types, use some pretty agressive chemicals. I would err to the side of caution, and use the diluted Chlorox. Oxalic Acid is fairly gentle, but don't know how well it would work on stained wood.

Rich C.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Used to use bleach, did not like what it did to the wood texture wise.

Just finnished a .920 modified W/W 10/22 walnut stock using a lot faster process:

-coarse steel wool, (5 pads)
-cheap Walmart spray on carburator cleaner, (3 X.99 cent cans)
-00 steel wool on the wet cleaner, (5 pads)
-00 steel wool on dry stock, (3 pads)
-wiped and first stain

Works much faster, (1-2 hours) and it does not raise the grain like bleach.

I like the mini wax mahogany on the walnut, then mini wax poly later, 00 steel wool, repeated several times to adjust to desired sheen, and texture.

Have Fun!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.