Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2,782 Posts
I would do it as I wouldn't consider an M12 a collectible down the road.
I can usually find several for sale at the show so not rare. Great rifles, just heavy as heck.
More of a tool to be used for it's purpose.
Drill away.
Yep. For all its virtues the M12 isn't likely to ever be a collector's item, so a d&t won't hurt its value. If you look around the internet, though, you might find a suitable cantilever scope mount. I have one on my 10/22, but my barrel had to be d&t'd for it so even if you find a cantilever mount you still might have to drill it.

· Registered
2,782 Posts
I’ve been thinking about getting the EGW mount for my old m12 as well but find the three options confusing with no real guidance found in my searches. My barrel is ~0.875” at the muzzle. Does that make the 0 MOA the correct choice?

I haven’t shot it in many years but got it out tonight to examine. I’ve got the Olympic & Palma irons and sighted it for 50yds way back when. Tonight in a standing position I can’t even get up my head low enough on that thick stock to properly use the sights. Not that I could hold it up very long anyway :rolleyes:
I hope I'm not telling you something you already know. The "zero moa" refers to external elevation for your scope and has nothing to do with barrel diameter. One moa equals just a tiny bit over 1" at 100 yds., so your poi (point of impact) would be ~10" higher at 100 yds. than with the 0 moa base, all other things equal.

· Registered
2,782 Posts
No worries! The question is the EGW mount comes in three flavors: 0 MOA, 20 MOA, -20 MOA. The only guidance EGW gives is the -20 is needed if you have a barrel that tapers to 0.75" at the muzzle, so you end up with a net 0 due to the barrel taper. I assume that means 0 MOA is the correct one for the heavier barrel like I have. I just cannot find confirmation of that anywhere.
I'd be very curious to know why EGW says that. MOA means minute of angle, of course, and there's no relationship between moa and barrel taper. Does the EGW base mount on the barrel? If so, then maybe they're referring to the shape of the base at the mounting surface matching the taper of the barrel to avoid leaving a gap. Perhaps the 0 moa base is shaped differently at the bottom than the 20 and -20 bases. But if it goes on the receiver then it shouldn't matter. Maybe you should ask EGW.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts