Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
750 Posts
I really like my H&R M12. I bought it without any sights. It came with the EGW scope base that bolts to the rear scope block mounting holes on the barrel and hangs out over the receiver.
I can feel the whole scope/mount vibrate a little when fired, and can see movement if I push down on the rear of the scope. However that is not really the main issue.
My main issue is the scope base does not extend back far enough to get a good eye relief.
I have the scope rings back as much as I can, and the scope as far back in the rings as I can, and it is still not comfortable. I have to move my head forward to get a proper picture through the scope, to the point it is not natural.
It is not LOP issue, as that fits me perfectly. The original stock that came on it when I bought it had been cut down to a shorter LOP and it was too short and uncomfortable. And I still had the eye relief issue with it.
While some do not like the stock, I find it actually very comfortable.

With the current scope mount not extending over the rear receiver ring, I got thinking, how much would it be frowned upon to have the receiver drilled/tapped for a scope base (either one or two piece) on top of the receiver?

It is a shame they do not still make the Ken Viani mount, and no one has started reproducing it. Finding one is very hard and cost almost what I paid for the gun if you do find one.

Or, does anyone know of any other scope bases/mounts for the M12 that can put the scope over the receiver?
The Viani mount is being made by S&K scope mounts. I received this message from them with a pic of the mount and it looks very nice.

Tony
<[email protected]> wrote

Good Morning,

I was just reaching out to let you know that we have the H&R M12 mounts done and ready to go! That was a great project! We may start making the Winchester 52 mount next as the H&R does not fit the 52! Ken Vanini has been great to us and we would love to keep his mounts going. As of now just the H&R is done. the price is $210.00 I attached a picture so you could take a look at it!

Thank you!
Nicole
S&K

· Registered
750 Posts
The Viani mount is being made by S&K scope mounts. I received this message from them with a pic of the mount and it looks very nice.

Tony
<[email protected]> wrote

Good Morning,

I was just reaching out to let you know that we have the H&R M12 mounts done and ready to go! That was a great project! We may start making the Winchester 52 mount next as the H&R does not fit the 52! Ken Vanini has been great to us and we would love to keep his mounts going. As of now just the H&R is done. the price is $210.00 I attached a picture so you could take a look at it!

Thank you!
Nicole
S&K
And as a tip, I have the EGW mount on mine. At the very rear of the mount I drilled a hole on center and tapped it for a 10-24 set screw that was, I think, 5/16” long. I put a little piece of plastic that I cut out from a milk jug under the screw so it wouldn’t mar the receiver. Tightened the set screw so it just touches the receiver and the mount is as solid as can be. You could also buy a nylon tipped set screw but I had the regular one and an empty milk carton and I’m cheap so……

Tony

· Registered
750 Posts
Oh wow really??
That is great news! How long ago was this email sent to you?
I have heard of S&K in the past but never bought anything from them. This may change soon!
I looked on their website but did not see it anywhere.
I will send them a email.
Jeep,

I got that about a month ago. Pricey but it looks really nice.

Tony

· Registered
750 Posts
A lot of set screws have a fairly sharp edged 'cup' on the end, waayyy easy to mar up a contact point!
Grind/file it off smooth.
Btw, I used a cut down 22 case for a similar application; seemed appropriate ;)
gcrank,

I had the HF 30" belt sander singing to round off that set screw! It was a cup head so it was pretty sharp. I just can't see having to buy 25 of the nylon head screws when I only needed the one!
.22 case would also be good and maybe better than my milk jug plastic. I may try that. Or just break down and buy the right kind of hardware!
Tony

· Registered
750 Posts
I'd like to know if the OP bought the SK Viani mount. We need a review on that.

Way back in the thread I talked about my brilliant idea of putting the set screw in at the rear of the EGW mount so that you could null out any kind of cantilever movement on the base. I used a little piece of milk jug plastic to act as a shim between the set screw and the receiver so I wouldn't mar the receiver with the screw. I really admired my brilliance at that piece of work.

Maybe I was a little bit ahead of myself on the brilliance thing. I had a chance to get the rifle out and work on tuner settings yesterday. Started off shooting two shot groups from 140 to 180 on the tuner (Harrel's) moving in 5 click increments. I had things adjusted so that I was in line with the horizontal axis of the row of bulls but a little off to the right so I didn't blow out the aiming point. Shot ten 2 shot groups and decided to zoom in on the 163 to 172 setting moving one click at a time but still doing two shot groups.

I use a one-piece rest so I dropped down a row on my tuning target and popped the first shot at 162. It hit about 1/4" low. All of the next groups were also low by about that same 1/4". This should not be. Since I had previously shot at 165 and 170 one row up and all was OK, I was a bit stumped as to what was happening.

Next culling was to do 5 shot groups from 168 to 172 on the next row down. Again, the shots were low but even lower now by almost 1/2" !

I picked 169 as the place to be and dropped down another row to do consecutive 5 shot groups at that setting. There is a bit of a story with me adding a 7 ounce weight to the tuner after which i had a series of very good groups but that isn't relevant at this point. But, about half way thru this string, I got tired of hitting low so I adjusted the scope to get things back on the bull. 3 more groups on this row and three more on the next row were all at the same POI with no downard drift. It appeared that the rifle had, miraculously, healed itself.

Came home and this morning started to clean the rifle. I picked it up and - KaBoom! - my brilliantly constructed piece of milk jug plastic fell right onto the floor.

So, the screw loosened up and the back end of the EGW base moved down. The front of the scope moved up and that pushed the POI down. I ordered set screws today that have the nylon tip. I'll use these and Loctite the set screw in and I should be home free from now on!

So the moral is to not feel so brilliant because when it's revealed that you're not....well.....you just feel kind of dumb.

Tony

· Registered
750 Posts
I did not order the S&K mount.
After inspecting the pictures they sent me, it will not move the scope back any further than my current EGW mount. It pretty much puts the rear most slot you could put a scope ring, at the same spot.
I asked if they had plans to, or would add slots all the way to the rear and they said the design would not allow it.

So for now I am just dealing with what I have while I contemplate other options including making my own mount.
Jeep,

Thanks for the update. I just put a Sightron 36X scope on mine and I was OK with where the scope wound up. i do have a ring right in that last slot.

Tony

1 - 6 of 6 Posts