Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This gun comes from Ruger with two cylinders one for .357 mag and one for 9 mm. This is out of my limited range of knowledge, but a .38 will fire safely out of a .357 right? And it is my understanding that a 380 is a shorter cased 9 mm. So here comes the million dollar question.......will this gun shoot .38's, .357's, 9 mm's, and 380's. I assume that the 9 mm cylinder holds onto the lip of the casing....do the 380's also have that lip?

Just wondering (procrastinating the ever constant homework)

pip

·
Registered
137 Posts
9mm & .380 both head space on the mouth of the cartridge, there is a 1 mm difference in length (.380 is shorter). The 9mm is also a tapered case & larger in diameter than the .380 which is a straight case. Never tried to shoot a .380 in a 9mm chamber myself, but it's probably not a good idea IMHO.
crawfordew

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Another question

crawfordew--

You seem like you know your stuff...Could you please explain why you can not shoot a .22 lr out of a .22 Mag. There are mulitple firearm producers who offer .22 revolvers with two cylinders, but I do not know why you could not use just the .22 Mag cylinder and shoot lr out of it.

pip

·
Registered
72 Posts
If I'm correct, the .22 Mag cartridge is of larger diameter than the .22lr. This would not only make shooting .22lr's out of the gun inaccurate, but also dangerous due to case splitting.

As to the 9mm/380 deal. Even if you tried to fire the 380 out of the 9mm cylinder, it would probably fall in too deep to where the firing pin couldn't reliably contact the primer.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I miked a WMR case this AM, it measured .239. A .22 LR case miked .224. When all else fails get out the micrometer & measure. ;-) BTW I mis-spoke (mis-typed?) in my earlier post, the .380 is 2mm shorter than the 9mm not 1mm.
crawfordew
:D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks.... I am not fortunate enough to have a .22 mag so I have never handled the ammo to notice that they are larger than the lr. I was just assuming that since the caliber was the same so would the case dia.

pip

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.