Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to two opinions from you guys since my TNZ is shipping tommarow...
1) sand bags or bipod for shooting at the range(both indoor and outdoor)? which one and why...

2) hard or soft case...which one do you guys suggest for a good inexpensive case?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I prefer "sandbags" I recently purchased front and rear bags that were made by Caldwell (on sale from Midway rite now)...I'm not a real steady shot even when resting on the bench, I found by using the bags and forcing the gun down into the bags I did'nt move around as much...Tried a Versa-Pod on my AR and did'nt like it, to much movement, maybe someone who has more shooting skill than I would have better luck...As for carrybags or hardcases, I like the soft canvas carrybags with a shoulder sling, just a personal choice, nothing against hardcases...Hope that helps...Mike :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
its sand bags for me

I seem to do better with sand bags than I can do with a bipod or a front rest. Got old cloth shot bags filled with sand. I also will use either a hard case or a soft case. The soft case fits the gun in easier when I have a bipod attached to it.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Hard case.... Protects the scope, doesn't get wet when I set it down to go plinking, has compartments for some basic tools/magazines. Plus, It's better for piling them into the car... I would go either all soft or all hard... My Berettas came w/ hard cases, so I just use all hard cases.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Accuracy consideration

It seems a main problem with the bipods is that one leg is likely to move before the other during recoil. One of my friends told me that putting the legs on a soft carpet helped with an accuracy problem on his CZ-452 American. Bipods are not allowed in IR-50/50 NBRSA, RBA or IBS rimfire matches. USBR and ARA do allow them. One of the ARA shooters told me that if you put a 12" x 14" plate of polished aluminum or plate glass on the bench, with contact feet at three points, then place a piece of slick paper (wax paper) between the plate and the bipod legs, that the legs will both slide at the same time. It is also important to be sure the legs are angled out at the bottom: Bottom of the legs closer to the muzzle.

When I tried my freinds CZ with the bipod, the first thing I noticed was that you do not have to think about and correct cant after each shot. Just a small amount of cant will move your shot to some place you don't want it to go: Like left and high if you tip the rifle to the right, Right and high if you cant it to the left.

Joe

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well my bags came in...ill probibly eventually get a bipod anyway...the range boards (its actually a pistol range) has carpet on it so that may help. I dont shoot competition and i got the 10/22 so i wouldnt buy so much 45 cal ammo (that stuffs expensive). Anyone happen to know how tall a 10/22 tnz is compared to a standard 10/22 t? i mean from the lowest point on the stock to the top of the receiver?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Do yourself and your gun a favor. Use a hard case.

I can't tell you how many times hard cases have saved my rifles and shotguns from nasty knocks.

I just bought a hard case that carries my 10/22 with bipod just fine from Wal-Mart for about $15.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.