Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
I don't really know the answer to this question but I think it would interesting to know. What would a .22 bullet do if it was pointed like a .17HMR. Would it act more like a .17 cal?

I think maybe the blunt nose bullet would be more effective for killing.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Interesting question. Makes me think of the short distance accuracy of the 38 cal full wadcutter used so successfully in the Mdl 52 Smith & Wesson. More accurate than any other at short distances IMO.

·
Registered
8,817 Posts
At the speeds a .22 long rifle operates at, bullet shape doesn't matter much. Spitzer/sharply pointed projectiles really help on rounds that shoot way over the speed of sound and stay there, but I've read dozens of ballistics tests over the years, and the conclusion was always the same, the plain old round nose works best at less than about 1,800 fps.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes i answered the question myself, flatter nose helps with transonic barrier but also inhibits velocity and longer rang shooting as the bullet begins to tumble a low speeds while a sharp nose does well at long rang it's not a target shooter.So in essence a round nose is the perfect mediator between the two.
Thanks,
OIS

·
Registered
215 Posts
Among the many .22LR ammos I've experimented with are the CCI MiniMags which seem to be very consistent for the price.
The MiniMags are sold as either "round nose" or "hollow point" (just a dimple) bullets and (I think) that is the only difference between the two.
For me, the MM "hollow points" always seem to out-shoot the "round nose" by a clear margin whenever I compare the two.
Of course, your mileage may vary but I'm thinking that a worthy experiment might be to drill-out a bit of the tip of a sample of one's favorite .22LR to see if there is any improvement.

John

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
In many cases in pistol rounds, which approximate the velocity of .22 rounds. The hollowpoint is more accurate. This is apparently due to the profile of the hollowpoint engaging the rifling in a more appropriate-to-accuracy manner.

Drilling a hole in a solid wouldn't equate to this, but could definitely be an interesting project. Be careful to center the hole, and drill to the same exact depth, or the bullets could be all over the place. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.