Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on a short waiting list to join the local gun club and plan to shoot in weekly matches this winter.
Currently I'm using a Browning 5-15X40 AO scope on a stock CZ 452 American; should I be looking to get more magnification for competition shooting.
The Browning is the nicest scope I have ever owned and would have to be scacrificed.:eek: in order to upgrade. So I need good some good advice.
What thoughts do you guys have out there for a 50 yard competition scope? I'm in a pickle because I have not ever used higher than 15X before.
I most likely will just start out using what I have and see how I do. Thanks......................................................vjchunter

·
Registered
557 Posts
I used a BSA Deer Hunter 6-24X50 AO I bought on Ebay for $35 then I upgraded to a 8-32X50AO I bought on line for under $100 delivered. It's a Barska, I highly recommend them for the quality and price factrors. I got mine at Grafs.com

·
Registered
8,058 Posts
in a word YES. if it is nothing but target shooting then get fixed 36X. lots of options there. Weaver, Sightron, Leupold or chase down a Jap Tasco.

·
Registered
160 Posts
in a word YES. if it is nothing but target shooting then get fixed 36X. lots of options there. Weaver, Sightron, Leupold or chase down a Jap Tasco.
If your just doing it for fun and haven't got a lot of money just go with the cheaper fixed 36X. If you plan on becoming serious then don't buy anything until you've shot in a few contest, or at least talked to the guys your shooting against. I hate to spend money twice so I would wait and just use your 5-15X40 for a while until you see whats going on. Same with the ammo.
good luck

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
What thoughts do you guys have out there for a 50 yard competition scope? I'm in a pickle because I have not ever used higher than 15X before.
I most likely will just start out using what I have and see how I do. Thanks......................................................vjchunter
I would use what I had at first. Make friends with the guys at the club, and maybe you will find someone that will let you use a target reticle scope (Weaver 36x, Sightron 36x, even a Weaver V16 with dot reticles). I suspect the club champion could put your Browning on this gun and still win the match, so a scope is not the complete equation. However if the club champ were to go up against a clone of himself, one with a Weaver T36 scope and the other with your Browning, I suspect he would do a bit better and win the match with the Weaver Target.

High power scopes obey the law of diminishing returns, i.e. doubling the power does not double your scoring accuracy. In fact, I suspect at some point it will actually hurt your score depending on your experience and what and how you shoot. See this interesting link on scope power VERSUS groups.

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
I'll weigh in here and give a +1 on what Mgt said.

I've tried high powered scopes up to 36x and did not like them or shoot better with them.

I've found with myself only that the max I like to go to is about 16x, 14x is better.

Right now I have a Bushnell L.E. Elite 3200 4-12x40mm A.O. and I'm shooting out to 100yd with it and loving it.

To each his own. But try someone else's high powered rig out first to see if it is what you want to do. You may find that the 15x on your Browning will be perfect for you, or you may find that 24x is the ticket.

Craig N.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
vjchunter last year ther was a group of us that shot 25 cents a shot i shot cz with bsa 36x two others had anschutz with 3-9 and 4-12 leopuld. they got their clock cleaned every time not one time out of 30+ shoots could they come close. this year they refuse to shoot with 4 of us who have anywhere from 24x to 36x you can be the best marksman and have the most accurate rifle in the world but you need a scope to complimate all the other ingrediants that make a good shooter

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
vjchunter last year ther was a group of us that shot 25 cents a shot i shot cz with bsa 36x two others had anschutz with 3-9 and 4-12 leopuld. they got their clock cleaned every time not one time out of 30+ shoots could they come close. this year they refuse to shoot with 4 of us who have anywhere from 24x to 36x you can be the best marksman and have the most accurate rifle in the world but you need a scope to complimate all the other ingrediants that make a good shooter
[email protected]*** Well said I hear ya loud and clear*** More magnification will allow me to see any flaws in my shooting and force me to hold consistant.
Right now I am also limited now by trigger (3lb.) and front rest (protektor sandbag) as much as scope mag (15X.)
Which means the next step is actually a three part scenerio-:eek: . I need to do trigger mod and buy a better front rest as well as buy target scope.
Anyone want to float me a loan tee hee lol! Thanks guys keep sugestions coming..................................vjchunter

·
Registered
785 Posts
My vote is the trigger mod first..........probably the cheapest

but if not, will pay the most dividends. It is hard to make it go straight back all the time, especially when it is that heavy. Don't ask how I found this out. Next thing is ammo. It will take some $$ and time to sort out what your gun likes best. You may be surprised at how well you can hold with 15x and good (usally espen$ive) ammo and a good trigger. A scope may give you a bit more than half a bullet hole in accuracy at 50 yds whereas the right ammo can give you half an inch along with the confidence that what you print on the target was due to conditions instead of ammo inconsistencies.

Stop and think. If you can only get half inch groups instead of a quarter inch, you will have a hard time learning from your feed back.........Was it the wind that gave me the extra diameter or my ammo?

Good advice not to jump into spending your $$ until you get your feet good and wet. I've tried to intelligently think of the possibilities of an endeavor before I started and ALWAYS have discovered more than enough after getting into it to wish I hadn't spent the bux in the blind. You may be a 36X kind of guy and then again you may prefer less. I was shooting this AM, 54 An. wind flags out, Eley, Burris 8-32 one inch tube and had it down to 26-28. Lot of humidity, overcast and the clarity meant more to me than the magnification.

PS I was "framing" the black square blocks so that my hairs were in a corner trying to hold the same window of light with the scope dialed so that poi was different than where I was aiming.in this case high. Did not want to destroy my aiming point. Found out that Rem Target sucked mightily, two different flavors, one old and one new. Yeah, the Eley EPS stinks but shot mucho better.
The Remmie goes thru the pistol now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.