Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would appreciate your ideas and experience with optical sights and mounts for the MK 11. Have 512 model target bbl. not drilled & tapped.

Thinking of "red dot " type, but don't know which would be best brand.

Thanks, Beachdawg

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I have ownd my current 5.5" bull barrel model for nearly 7 years now and went ahead and had it drilled and tapped for a Ruger factory base. Looks good on the pistol and is made to fit. When I want open sights I simply remove the rings /scope/red dot as a single unit - the base can remain in place and the open sights can still be used and when I reinstall the zero is usually right there.

I have used a Tasco ProPoint - not the best by any means , but good enough to allow me to win a few local pistol leagues. But as mentioned by 38super - the Ultradot is used by a lot of serious shooters. I have also used a Leupold 2X with good results - very clear, crips, high resolution optics.

·
Registered
28 Posts
For those of you who have shot both red dot and scope on the Mark II, can you provide the pros/cons. I shot my new Mark II at 25 yards at a rifle target and at 42 year old I can say that my eeyes are no longer good enough to target shoot effectively unassisted, so I guess that means I need some magnification, not just a red dot. Am I right or is there something about a red dot I'm not understanding? I've never used one.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Rimfire Newbie,

My understanding of the red dot sight is that it allows you to have both eyes open and focus only on the dot which is superimposed on the target. No more fuzzy front, rear, sights and target. There is no magnification.

Have not shot with one yet, but aimed one mounted on pistol in the store. This is the system used by most bullseye pistol competitors and apparently helps the "old" eyes, mine are 60 so I just ordered an ultra dot and SoLow mounts for my Ruger MK 11.

I would look at a red dot mounted on a pistol before going for a regular pistol scope with magnification, I think you may like the red dot system.

Regards, BeachDawg

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Actually, the eyes focus on the target and the dot is superimposed over the desired POI. The shooter's hand to sightline alignment and grip stability come into play. Follow thru is just as important wheither iron or optic sights. Precision shooters 'look' at their dot more than a speed shooter will. Half the time, all I see is an illuminated red smear across the target. To be absolutely honest, I don't always 'remember' the dot on target. It was there because there were scoring hits or the plate fell.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.