Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Best rim fire revolver ??

3963 Views 56 Replies 39 Participants Last post by  Snake45
What is your favorite rim fire revolver ???
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

· Registered
5,438 Posts
My one and only rimfire revolver is my Ruger Single Six. It's fun to change from LR to Magnum. I would like to get a Smith sometime though.

· Registered
1,697 Posts
Sure. If I'm just plinking or having a good time, my favorite is a Taurus 94, blue, three inch barrel, with an aftermarket rubber grip. Loaded with Winchester Dynapoints and with a recently cleaned barrel, it's the perfect fun gun for me. Nine shots without reloading, and the geometry of the grip/trigger is almost perfect for double action work in my hand.

A close second is the same gun in stainless with a four inch barrel, and I've got one in .22 magnum that is just as much fun but a bit more expensive to shoot.

· Registered
550 Posts
Favorite .22 revolver?
One of these currently:

Probably the old 6" Outdoorsman on the right.
Subject to change after the next gunshow.:D
Rob

· Registered
216 Posts
I'm partial to my Ruger SP101. Bought it used so it would already be smoothed out a bit. Put some Hogue grips on it - Gancalo Alves. Put some lighter springs in it - Wolff. It just feels 'right'.

· Premium Member
1,937 Posts
Yep that little SP101 is a great little gun bit heavy in .22 got one in .32 H&R
mag. Tack driver almost as cheap to shoot as a.22, if you reload.
one # of wheel weights cast out to about 89 bullets. .2.5 grns of powder goes a long way as a plinker. .4 grns its a little magnum.

S/SP

· Registered
4,159 Posts
I'm with Geezer! Hard to beet a S&W K-22. may absolute favorite would be my 6" , 39' K-22 outdoorsman. Second runner up would have to be one of my other S&W 17's, 18's, 617's, 63's, 34's .......with a ruger single six ( OM) tossed in for variaty :D

· Registered
225 Posts
How about *Two* favorites? My trusty Ruger Stainless Super Single Six, 6 1/2" barrel, bought new about 1982; & my "new" S&W Stainless Model 63 Kit Gun, 4" barrel, made about 1981, bought only a few weeks ago! :D

PS: Hey, Southern S/Paw- you have excellent taste in .22 short guns! ;)

· Registered
136 Posts
The revolver I'd choose if I were stuck in the middle of nowhere would be my 4" Ruger SP-101 in .22 LR. It has an indestructible feel and shoots Stingers better than anything else I own. A .22 may not be the last word in a survival gun, but it beats throwing rocks.

For plinking I like my Single Sixes--the Bisley and the standard piece. Both shoot well with a variety of ammo, and if I feel the need for more noise and fire I've got the .22 WMR cylinder.

My third choice would be the Taurus 94. It's just a lot of gun for the money. I bought one as a camping/trail gun and, except for the DA trigger, it has not disappointed.

If money were no object (and it isn't--because I don't have any), I'd go for the Freedom Arms piece.

· Registered
4,159 Posts
The revolver I'd choose if I were stuck in the middle of nowhere would be my 4" Ruger SP-101 in .22 LR.
I would agree not so much becasue of durability. ( It's pretty hard to break a S&W .22 revolver too.). The Ruger Sp 101 is 100% easier to totally disasemble . All it requires is removal of the grip panel and the use of a short pin stored there. ( A paper clip or straghtened fish hook could work too.) No other tools or special operations required. This could be a big help if the gun ever got foulded with mud, muck ice etc. It only takes seconds to drop the internal works into your hand where they are easily cleaned. Heck, you could put teh whole disasembled gun into a sock and rince it in a streem! Very slick design on Mr. Rugers part on this one. ( Kind of makes up for the MK II disasembly disaster :D )

· Registered
1,645 Posts
Pdwight said:
Man you got that right. I probbly would have never bought a 41S&W if it had not been for that.

Dwight P
Dwight,

At the price of those 41s I don't know how you can afford to have more than one gun. I know now that I probably wont have one for many years to come unless I come across a "just take it, we don't want it around the house..." one and I don't think that will happen this century.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.