Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what model, action, trigger, ect.ect. is best for sporter competition, anschutz 1710d 0r what need info/

want to take it out of the box adjust the trigger plug in a scope, load it with the good stuff and go to the match , with a chance to win... might drop it in a custom stock if i can do it myself!!

thanks

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Check with the sporter shooters equipment list and you will see a lot of the same guns..the 1710 is a great gun ....but few of them are out of the box and shoot it setups.....the individual gun and barrel will have its likes and currently the better guns of several brands will outshoot the available ammo.....as the lot to lot variance and production changes make the ammo so unreliable as to consistant accuracy that the guns headspace and similar variables get lost in the ammo problems and you have to adjust the gun to what ammo you can get that minitue that shoots in your gun.....this from my limited experience with Coopers, Anschutzs, Winchesters, Dakotas and similar upper level sporters and feedback from other shooters.....good luck and good shooting!!

·
Registered
848 Posts
Hey earl,
I got a 1710HB with trigger set a 8oz.Out of the box it shot 250-14x at 25yds. and 240-8x at 50yds. on the USBR Target.The 10 ring is only 1/10th" compared to 1/4" on the RBA and IR 50/50.Scores would have been higher if'n I had shot those targets.It is an excellent rifle.I paid 800.00 for mine used.But it had no marks or blemishes of any kind.And the walnut stock has a lot of figure.Wouldn't trade it or sell it for any other rifle.:D
M.C.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
best plug-n-play sporter/

can ya get a custom sporter/target stock for this gun/ thats been pillar bedded then just switch the stocks yourself/
like the turner customs, they look to ride the bags better!!
p.s. can you adjust the trigger(user friendly) yourself?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Earl,
Don Stith is now cutting a sporter stock for the 1710. It is not pillar bedded...you'll have to do that yourself along with some minor inletting. I'm in the process of finishing one for my 1710HB.

My 1710HB does not look as if it will make sporter weight though. The 1710 standard barrel might make weight.

I'm thinking of building a 54.18 for the sporter weight class. They have a better trigger from what I understand.

The trigger on the 1710 is easy to adjust. There's a thread on this forum detailing the procedure.

Good luck.

Gary

·
Registered
204 Posts
Maybe not really a sporter, but my 64 MPR is totally stock (has a 10 oz trigger) and shoots well with a variety of ammo. I recently shot a 250 at 25 and 242 at 50 with it on the USBR targets (0.1" ten ring). Cost $600 in blue and $670 with a stainless barrel late last fall.

.... Retiree

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.