Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys:

Just wanted to say thanks once again for all the knowledge, and the friendship :)

Here's ANOTHER question fo ya':

What's the best rest say under $120-$100

Not including bags and such, of course. I've got everything all tweaked, but shooting from a block of wood....well, not the greatest. Plus, it scratches my stock :mad:

I've seen the cladwell and it looks fine. I'm just looking for any suggestions either for against the caldwell or any othe rest in the 120 ---->100 range.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
http://www.rwhart.com/

Look for the JB100 pedestal.

Simple, but heavy rest in your pricerange. The best thing is
the weight. The thing is made of cast iron. And to me that
with the bags makes the most difference. The legs have well
machined feet etc. All in all a very nice rest.

The Midway USA rest is worth looking at too. Pretty nice, but
made of aluminum. And with larger rifles this lack of weight
matters. If using for rimfire, Midway USA might be the way to
go.

·
Registered
20,556 Posts
I've got a Caldwell. I wish it was a little heavier, but it works for me. Windage adjustment would be nice also. I'm working up a plan on one something like the Witchita on the Acessories forum.

JL aka HB

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Best cheap rest? I vote the Caldwell (or Midway) Rock. It beats the low priced (and heavier) Hart because it has a decent top. And weight isn't that important with rimfire or even most centerfire rifles. I've got 500 bucks in a Bald Eagle with 2 tops, but I don't feel that handicapped at all on the days when I take my Rock to the range. Two weeks ago I watched a guy shoot a perfect score of 250 with 18x in a IBS centerfire match using a Caldwell. It sure wasn't a handicap for him.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I've used a Midway rest the last couple of years with no problem. Some guys put lead in the bottoms to add wieght. Sometimes you can catch them on sale for about $80-. went to a Cowen rest this winter windage top $180- delivered.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool, I think I'll go w/ the rock. Mid South has them for $63!!!!!
I assume I'll need a medium bag w/ use of a boyd's blaster. Also, what style rear bag should I get? What's this I hear about baby powder?

·
Registered
961 Posts
Just got a Caldwell "Rock"

From Midway - have only shot off it once so far but it did wonders for my bench groups:D ....Now if I can just get the scope to behave:( :rolleyes:

·
Registered
590 Posts
I've owned a Hoppes rest for better than 10 years, how is the Rock better? It looks wider, but other than that I can't tell much difference. I'm interested in improving my bench shooting, if a different rest will help I'm all for it. Please enlighten me.

Thanks,

·
Registered
218 Posts
Use the search button and you will find a lot of things that you can do to make a caldwell rest a lot better. If you know some one with a machine shop see if they can build one at a reasonable price. I had my rest built from pictures in the Sinclair catalog with a few upgrades that we came up with. I am going to see about a windage adjustable top next.

·
Registered
828 Posts
rest

I have used a Midway (rock) for several years. I poured the bottoms of the legs full of lead for extra weight and I bought a windage adjustable top from Hoehn Sales in Mo. I think that he makes 3 different styles. He also makes barrel tuners. You can get his number over on the benchrest.com page.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Chundoo--The Caldwell (Rock) is better than most cheaper rests--in my opinion--because it has a good modern top. Most cheap rests just have a flat place up there for you to tie on a bag that reasonably fits the forend of your rifle. The Caldwell, like most high-end rests, has adjustable plates on the sides of the top. These plates allow you to press the bag against sides of the stock, with varying amounts of pressure, creating a much better fit--which can greatly improve accuracy.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Forester
Thanks for the explanation. I can see how that might help. Mine doesn't adjust although it does have verticle pieces at either end.
Are you anywhere near Columbia, SC? I lived there a long time ago...man did we see a lot of snakes every time we went fishing! It was also the first time I heard Crappie pronounced that way :D

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Summerville is nearer to Charleston than Columbia. We're down in the lower coastal plain. We've got just as many snakes as they do up in Columbia. Keeps you on your toes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.