Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a decent shooting new .22 lr rifle. Not really concerned about bolt or semiauto. I saw the new Ruger 10/22RR that looks nice. What about bolts in the same price range? Savage? Marlin? I'm not planning on doing alot of upgrading to it as it will be a plinker and hunting rifle (squirrel, turkey, small varmints). I will eventually put a scope on it. But, probably not right away.

Scott

Scott

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I think the bolt action Savages are best in this class. Though it is close compared to the bolt action Marlins. Both are far more accurate than a 10/22 out of the box.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I read where the Special stocks are really set up for the iron sights and that putting a scope on it changes the sight lines and ergonomics. True?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I agree the CZ is a better choice. I try to avoid offering to spend more of someone else's money. All too often that happens. Unless there is a huge compelling reason to do so.

The CZ is incrementally better for a little more money.

·
Registered
308 Posts
If you think you will need quick followup shots chasing cat squirrels through the trees, or just want to shoot fast during plinking, the semi-auto 10/22 may be the ticket. For best accuracy on the first shot, the bolt rifles are a better bet. I have a Ruger 10/22 and a CZ 452. Love both. The 10/22 is great fun, but the CZ is hands down more accurate and well worth the few extra $ if accuracy is your goal. I also hear good stuff about the Savage.

You know, I bet you will love whichever reliable brand .22 rifle you get. Buy one, have fun, and don't look back!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A local FFL has the Trainer for $209 plus tax. If I'm sticking with the iron sights, that may be the way to go. The Savage Mark II-FSS is $179 plus tax and the Marlin 980S is $214 from wally world.

Aren't there some problems with how the scope sits on a CZ452 trainer since it was built specifically for iron sights? Does the scope sit up too high? Or do you guys just buy another rifle if you want a scoped .22lr?

Scott

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
txgolfer45,

I have a Swift Premier 6-18X44 on my Special. There is no problem with scoping this rifle, but you will need high rings. There is a difference in the grove that the scope mounts mount to. The Trainer, Special, Standard and the lux all use the same receiver. The groves are 11 mm on these rifles vs 3/8th inch on American rifles The difference is between them is about 1.5 mm. maybe just a little less.

I have been using those 11 dollars Weaver rings and a little blue loctite with good results. It can be done.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
CZ's are wonderful rifles. The Trainer/Special that is being mentioned goes for $209 at Whittaker's. The Savage Mark II-BV (hvy Barrel) $203. However, if you go with a Savage Mark II-G (sporter barrel, wood stock), that will cost you only $139 plus tax at Wal-Mart. If you want a composite barrel, it's even cheaper, $120-something. From what I hear the sporter barrel is just as accurate as the heavy, and is easier to carry around. Remember, if you buy from Whittaker's or on the net, you'll need to pay for shipping and FFL charges. That could add on another $35 or so.

I past on the CZ Trainer/Special, due to it being too long a rifle, and in my opinion it is better off not scoped. I shot a friends, and with the higher rings needed, plus the european-cut stock, it was quite a stretch, and awkward, to reach the scope comfortably. W/O a scope the rifle is awesome.

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
the cz special would not be a good HIGH power scoped gun, but if you get a shotgun scope (they are normally very short and have small bells) it will fit, and i do believe they are parallax correct for 50 yards. same as a .22 scope, but should last a while being designed for shotgun recoil. or get a compact scope. The czs are very nice guns, with some great open sights. get one, add one of brookies ghost rings (i need to get one) and you probably wont need a scope...

or get an older but not abused .22 a LOT of them were very accurate, check out the mossberg forum they seem to have a big following. i have a mossy 352kc that im restoring a little. i hope its accurate!

have fun man!

·
Registered
370 Posts
I would get the remington 597. I bought mine in 1998, and have had zero problems with it. It will shoot .50 ten shot groups at 50yrds with win bulk pac hps. It came with iron sights, but I had my dealer take them off and trash them, replaceing them with a simmons 8point 3-9x40. This setup is great, infact I got rid of the 10/22 that I bought the same year it couldn't compare to the 597.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
If your dealer has the special/trainer for $209 plus tax, I would jump on it. My special has a Leupold 2-7X33 VX-1 on it and it does great for squirrel hunting and the occasional paper shooting. Had a Weaver RV7 2.5-7X28 scope on it before and it worked great too. It feels equally well shooting it with a scope as shooting with iron sights. I had one of those cheap Savage sporter barrel 22 rifles, and while it was a decent shooter, I just couldn't get over the trigger being so bad and the whole rifle felt like a toy with that ultracheap plastic stock. The 10/22 is a good shooter, but the basic model might be a little lacking in the super accuracy department. The Marlin bolt action 22's I've had the chance to shoot do so real well, even though the trigger is as bad as the savages. Stocks seem better to me though. I did have a 597 once. I really don't care for them. The CZ does need a little trigger work out of the box, but Brookies trigger kit for $14 or so fixes it up real cheap.

Chunckchucker

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
A lot of wise advise so far! I would suggest if you're going with a bolt gun, if you want to stay on a low budget and get a heavy barrel, the Savage or Marlin heavy barrels would be good choices. Of course you would need optics with those. If you want a great gun that doesn't have a heavy barrel but does have open sights, the CZs are a great option. Now of course if you want to be able to do a ton of customizing, the 10/22 is the gun of choice ..... of course out of the box performance is not up to what the bolt guns I mentioned offer. Hope that helps.

Dave Z.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So, it looks like the options are as follows:

Savage Mark IIF or FXP or FSS or FV
Marlin 925
Ruger 10/22 Carbine or Rifle

The Savage Mark IIF or FXP is the cheapest. Then comes the Marlin 925 followed by the Ruger 10/22 Carbine and it is a toss up price wise for the Savage Mark II FSS, FV or the Ruger 10/22 rifle. Of course, the Savage Mark II FV would immediately need a scope too.

Prices range from $99 to $180.

From a feel standpoint, the Ruger feels heavier/more substantial. The Marlin 925 and Savage Mark IIF are quite similar in heft and feel. The 925 wood is definitely nicer than the synthetic Savage. No one had the Savage FV in stock or the Ruger 10/22 rifle.

I think I'm leaning towards the Ruger 10/22 Carbine or rifle.

Scott

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, It looks like I can go cheap, mid range or more expensive.

Savage Mark II FXP $99
Marlin 925 $149
Savage Mark II FV $180 plus scope
Ruger 10/22 carbine $165
Ruger 10/22 rifle $180
And then more expensive stuff.

Scott

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
I paid about $180 for a new CZ 513 Basic about two months ago. It has proven to be very accurate. Although it has the hump backed stock design, it lacks the big tangent sight of the Special, Trainer, Lux, and FS. Thus it was easy for me to drive out the dovetailed rear sight and mount a modest sized scope (Weaver 2.5-7X28 Rimfire Classic) quite low. Thus minimizing the low comb issue. This is a very solid little rifle and it groups as tight as my American, Special, and FS. Unfortunately, many people find the "nonadjustable" trigger unmanageable and it is indeed a very different and cruder trigger design than that found on the other CZ rimfires.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
txgolfer45 said:
No one had the Savage FV in stock or the Ruger 10/22 rifle.

I think I'm leaning towards the Ruger 10/22 Carbine or rifle.

Scott
OK this is a assumption, going by txgolfer45 ..... does that mean you're in Texas? If so where? There are a couple places in my area that have prettty darn good prices. And if you're not close to my area there are a lot of Texans on RFC somebody may find you a better deal on the gun of your choice or know of a Savage FV in your area.

txgolfer45 said:
Ok, It looks like I can go cheap, mid range or more expensive.

Savage Mark II FXP $99
Marlin 925 $149
Savage Mark II FV $180 plus scope
Ruger 10/22 carbine $165
Ruger 10/22 rifle $180
And then more expensive stuff.
Just an additional thought, rather than going with one of the low cost bolt guns with sights keep a better grade bolt gun with sights in mind. What I'm saying is don't throw the CZ bolt gun out of the running, it is a higher quality gun than the average Savage or Marlin (keep in mind this is coming from someone who owns and likes both the Savage and Marlin bolt guns.) Now of course another option that hasn't been brought up, Romanian Trainers. They are dirt cheap and are good solid bolt guns, most likely cheaper than the Savage MK II FXP you mentioned. Of course they are also uglier too! But the Romanian trainers are very good shooters.

Just wanted to put a few more ideas in your head. Of course myself I tend to tinker with a gun, so the 10/22 is still top choice due to the amount that can be done with them. As far as the bolt guns my Savage is a 22 mag and the Marlin is a 17 HMR, It cost me less to get into those calibers that way than to set up a 10/22 for those calibers. I enjoy them all of course!

Dave Z.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi Dave,

Yes, I'm in the DFW area of Texas. I like the CZ 452 Trainer. It really is set up for iron sights. I know guys have put scopes on them. But, using higher rings and having the european stock just doesn't seem to be a good combination.

Scott

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.