Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone - new to the forum. I want to try some small bore/22 target shooting such as the NRA Light Rifle competition. I have a Marlin Mod 39 lever action and a Glenfield Mod 60 semiauto. Based on what will qualify etc., I could use those but I'm really looking to get something that I can be competative with. Based on price vs. qualit, so far my choices are:

*Heavy barrled Rem 597 semiauto with a laminated stock
*TC benchrest semiauto
*Savage Mark II BV bolt with laminated stock and heavy barrel
*Marlin bolt with laminated stock and SS heavy barrel

Thoughts and advice? I'm trying to stay below $400 (although the TC is slightly over...) pluc scope. Thank you for any info.

·
Premium Member
9,206 Posts
Just get the CZ American and you will be happy :yippee: :whistle: :1p !! By the way, I have myself shot quite a bit of NRA Light Rifle, which as you know is all offhand. When you get so you can stand on your hind legs and outshoot that Marlin 39a, you will be a **** good shot!! Maybe then it will be time for a new gun :t

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JNYORK, you have a good point regarding my Marlin 39A. I bought it in 1979 at a K-Mart in Phoenix when I was in school. I would hunt rabbits in the desert with it. I was amazed at how accurate it was. I was able to "jump" empty shotgun hulls out to 100 yards with open sights (good eyes then...).

Maybe I'm just lookin for a reason to get a new gun. <grin> It sounds like a CZ may be the way to go, but not sure about the price. The shops I was in today didn't have any. What would be a reasonable price on one?

·
Registered
348 Posts
CZ Americans

go for about $310 on the internet but you have to factor in the cost of shipping and FFL charges where you receive it. I can get them locally for the same price. Check with your local gun shops. They may not have the rifle you want in stock, but could order one for you. The CZ is a very good choice for an inexpensive bolt gun. I saved up a while longer and bought a used Anschutz 1416 D. It was worth the wait!

·
Premium Member
9,206 Posts
It is my understanding that Wallyworld is now special ordering CZ's, any gunshop will get you one in, check around, many gunshops will discount the price if you order a rifle not in stock. Ask. In the great scheme of things, dont be too worried about nickels and dimes on the price of a CZ, the joy of ownership of this fine firearm will last a lot longer than the joy of saving a few bucks on the purchase.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Marlin Bolt Actions......NICE

I do believe that the Marlin 39 WAS the weapon that Annie Oakly used the most in the Wild West show. Some were found to have been ordered with smooth bores, and indicates she was "CHEATING" to some degree with dust shot on glass ball targets. I will say this, and I knew it all along anyway. Recent test have shown that the Marlin Bolt actions ARE the most accurate out of the box "SANELY" priced sporting .22 rifle you can get. They hold up real good, are tough, and always work. Don't know if the bolt actions are real walnut or not now a days. Marlin does have a real good method of dying the wood to look like walnut... even if it is not...maybe it's the Glenfield brand they make that is fake walnut....not sure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.