Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

BEST BULLET for the HMR

553 Views 3 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  rossandjet
A 17 grain XTP ?.

For those here that are experienced and knowlegable in the field of exterior ballistics, velocity, energy, knock down power, wound channel, trajectory, etc, do you think a HMR round using a 17 grain controlled expansion bullet like the Hornady XTP would be an excellent round, good, fair, or something less?.

I keep thinking this could be the best round for the HMR.

Any and all opinions will be appreciated.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
710 Posts
Best for what?

If you think you need controlled expansion, the 20 gr XTP does that, if you want speed and violent expansion the V-Max does that, Need something in the middle go with the 17 gr TNT.

I think they have it covered pretty well.

· Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Best all around.

The 17 grainer would have velocity and slightly flatter trajectory over the 20 grainer, and the XTP should hold its jacket and retain weight a little better than the TNT hollow point.
Also, the shooter or hunter would not have to allow for the differecne in point of impact between the two.

· Registered
45 Posts
ice said:
Best all around.

The 17 grainer would have velocity and slightly flatter trajectory over the 20 grainer, and the XTP should hold its jacket and retain weight a little better than the TNT hollow point.
Also, the shooter or hunter would not have to allow for the differecne in point of impact between the two.
Ice, it don't work in practice the XTP shoot way out to the 17 Rems in my Savage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.