Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Best Bore cleaner?

968 Views 15 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  vmaxx
I'm an "old school" kind of guy and I generally use Hoppes #9. IMO it's done a good job for me over the years. Haven't lost a bore yet.
But isn't it basically only a powder solvent? I see some that advertise lead removal.
So I'm curious as to which brand you think does the Best OVERALL job. How does it compare in price to the others?
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
2,486 Posts
I used to be a died in the wool Hoppes #9 and Benchrest user, then I tried WipeOut and the Outers foaming bore cleaners, They're both easier to use and work better with less effort. The WipeOut does work on lead even though the makers say it won't remove lead, but it does work on the other metals in lead alloys and breaks it down so mechanical cleaning with a bore brush will remove the lead residue. I found this out first hand with a badly fouled inline muzzleloader that I had shot the all lead powerbelts with, I tried other bore cleaners, none were very effective, the WipeOut left in the bore overnight followed with a good bronze brush cleaned it out completely. The best way to get the WipeOut to work best is to leave it in the bore overnight, but turn the rifle upside down about half way thru the cleaning cycle, the cleaner settles in the bottom half of the bore and doesn't clean the upper half as well, invert the rifle solves that issue. It cost $7-$10 a can depending on where you buy it, the Outers can be found at Walmart for $5-$6 but it's a smaller can.

Tim

http://www.sharpshootr.com/wipeout.htm

· Registered
452 Posts
All my copper jacket bullet guns get Butches and Kroil (mixed 50/50). My .22's get Boretech rimfire blend. I used Sweets for copper fouling (that the butches does not get) and Shooter Choice lead remover for any leading. So far have had great results with these choices.

· Registered
2,486 Posts
I really miss the smell of Hoppes, I've put some on a patch and left it on my bench just to have that wonderful aroma in the air!!! I should probably open a bottle and put a wick in it for my own version of an airwick air freshener!!!! :D

Tim

· Registered
3,463 Posts
I suppose everyone has their favorites & I'd guess they all work about the same. Personally I use Shooters Choice Lead Remover first.Then several passes with a bronze brush. Then scrub the area just forward of the chamber with patches cut from "Lead Away" cloth. Then Berryman's carb. cleaner to remove the Lead Away residue followed by several dry patches. Then use a 50/50 mixture of Butch's Bore Shine & Kroil, then several more dry patches.

I know it sounds kinda anal but it works & my guns seem to shoot better clean...

· Registered
10,095 Posts
I remember when I was about 12, I asked friend's Dad how many patches you had to use to clean a gun. I never forgot that he said 'as many as it takes'. I thought he was being mean at the time, but he was 100% right.

And on No.9-I tell my baby... 1 drop of Hoppe's No.9 behind one ear and 1 drop of barbecue sauce behind the other and I'd never leave home! :p

· Registered
333 Posts
I use, Ol' #9 -n- patches! But I thought I'd pass this along. Cruising the internet, I found some technical bulletins on gun cleaning. It was recomended to use transmission fluid to clean and lube the gun if no normal cleaning solvents or lubricants were available.

· Registered
1,156 Posts
For my 10/22 I use Hoppe's Benchrest Copper Solvent. It's basically #9 with added copper solvent. I use it only because I also use it in my centerfire guns.

For my .308Win it's harder to get the copper out than my pistols, so I use foaming bore cleaner. I believe it is the same as the Outers.

For shotguns I use the Hoppe's Benchrest. I also use Remington Bore Cleaner. It contains an abrasive, so it only gets used while the guns are newer until the barrels break in.

I've found that the only thing that gets lead out for me is tight fitting patches in the .22 and lots of scrubbing with brushes in shotguns.

· Registered
1,870 Posts
I'd like to comment, alot of these cleaners are good at removing powder fouling and lead but some also attack Plastic so if you have a plastic magazine well like I do with my Sako and My CZ, you migh want to do some testing before you start using it on your rifle. I like shooters choice for center fire guns but it will attack plastic. For rimfires I use mostly Hoppes #9 (in the bottle ) and Kroil with an ocasional brass brush.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.