Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently looking into building a .22 mag, as referenced in my thread under misc. "Building a .22". What is the best barrel length to get accuracy/ velocity out of this particualr round? Accuracy takes precedence, but I would like delivery to target to be as quickly as possible.

Thanx in advance

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I am almost sure that max velocity is at around 19" in 22 WMR. I do not think there will really be much of a difference in barrels 18-24" I would go with a 20" fluted bull barrel from GM.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea, I was looking at a 25" barrel from GM, just have a smithy chamber it and mount it to the receiver assembly I get. I have been watching ebay and the for sale area here, but no luck so far. I am leaning towards a Marlin bolt-action receiver if anyone knows somebody selling one.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Guys from everything I see in print here on RFC for the .22's has been they loose velocity with much length over 18" and the best velocity at 16"... The more barrel length on these rim fires seem to be much past 18" makes more resistance and slows the bullet down. All the powder is getting burned up in the first 16" plenty good enough.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So in going for the magnum, the 25" barrel from GM would be a good choice, correct? I imagine if it came down to it, I could have a machine shop shave a couple inches off the end to get the optimum length. Any thoughts on that?

·
Registered
20,556 Posts
I have absolutely no scientific evidence to back me up.....
From what I have in my head from all I've read here....
I wouldn't go with a 25" barrel.
I think you'd be loosing velocity.....
Gaining velocity spread from shot to shot.....
And loosing accuracy.

If I had my choice for maximum accuracy/velocity in a .22 WMR.....
I'd be at 18 to 20".

me!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cool, so no big deal to have a smithy shave off a couple inches from the end to shorten it up. Thanx again for all your help, if anyone else has any input please feel free to share, the more info I get the better plan I have to make this gun work at its best.

·
Registered
20,556 Posts
LOL!! Please don't look to me for "hard testing"! I am such a shadetree, backyard, seat-of-the-pants gunsmith..... and I don't have the patience to sit out at the range for days on end drilling paper..... I'd much rather be plinking or squirrel hunting! That's why I like rimfires so much - I can plink to my heart's content and not damage my pocketbook or my shoulder! :D

·
Registered
936 Posts
Shorter barrels are stiffer barrels and stiff barrels are good for accuracy. Personally, I think any rimfire barrel over 20" begins to get "unhandy" to carry afield especially if it's a heavy target barrel. As to velocity loss, keep this in mind. Even a 6.5" wheelgun barrel only gets about 400 fps less than advertised velocity for rifle barrels. To my way of thinking, an 18" rifle barrel is just about perfect with 20" or 22" being max. The difference in velocity between that 4" will be peanuts.....

FWIW,

Dennis

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
me!, The backyard, seat of the pants sighting and squirrel plinking is fine with me. I set up a target in the woods, rested the gun on a stump that had a natural fork in it, and sighted the rifle I have now at an estimated 50 yds, and it is dead accurate right now. The rifle is more than 50 years old and accurate with the best of em, so you don't need the fancy rests and vices at a range to get good sighting. Bucks, that does make a lot of sense, I believe the barrel length I will settle on for the magnum is going to be around 19"-20", looking at the GM fluted heavy blank, then I'll have the smithy do whatever modifying to match it to the receiver. Thanx yall for the responses, and any info is still greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I agree with Bucks Owen. I would think that a stiff/heavy barrel would be more important if you are looking for accuracy, than the barrel length. A long light barrel will have more flex/whip verses a stiff/heavy barrel, affecting accuracy. BTW...the average velocity change per inch of barrel is 25 fps.

If this is going to be used for hunting and you go with a heavy barrel, you may want to consider the Safari Rifle Sling, Cabela’s carries it. It distributes the weight better. I have the Ruger 10/22 Target, which has a heavy 20" barrel and the Safari Rifle Sling. That’s my hunting rifle.

MGD

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.