Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really new to shooting altogether. My uncle got me interested and not but a few weeks later I've saved up and bought my very own 10/22. After doing a bit of reading it seemed like a very good choice for a first rifle. Anyway, my question is, what ammo do you seasoned shooters recommend for it? First time I used Winchester Super X's, but the weapon didn't always eject the brass well when I was using them. When I switched to my uncle's rounds, which I know were of the brand Blazer, it stopped doing that, which makes me think it was the Winchester rounds. Not sure though. So are there any particular rounds that come well recommended?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Did you give the rifle a good cleaning? Whether it is new or used, a good cleaning may help it be more reliable. Most .22s are somewhat picky about what ammo they like and what they don't, especially some autoloaders. The older Blazer ammo seemed to have its share of complainers, but the stuff I have gotten in the last couple of years has been a good performer in all my rimfires. Very consistent ammo, if not the most accurate. Some folks have had good luck with the Federal bulk pack from Walmart. It worked ok in the 10/22s I had. I also had good luck with the Winchester Super Xs, so maybe a cleaning of your gun or a different lot would work. CCI Mini Mags also worked very well in my 10/22s, and were pretty accurate. Some other folks will be along shortly to tell you what their pet loads are too. Welcome to the forum, its a nice place here.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll try that too. I didn't clean it yet, because the rifle is brand new. I'll take that advice though. I think it could've been a bad lot too, because I ran through about three boxes total and I didn't have as much trouble while firing the second two. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Correct.....you are going to hear all about pet loads

But hey.....good blasting ammo and fairly accurate.....Federal bulk pack for wally world is good stuff. Blazer, from what I hear is pretty much the same as mini mag with a non plated bullet, and shoots well.

Winchester super x and wildcat seemed good too. Was a time back a few years ago that I got a case of wildcat ammo that I used for IR 50 and shot exceptionally well.

I did have some winchester ammo....I think it was some form of expert power point that shot a great 6" pattern at 50yds (tongue in cheek there).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did have some winchester ammo....I think it was some form of expert power point that shot a great 6" pattern at 50yds (tongue in cheek there).
Yeah, I caught that. xP I'm probably just going to buy the Federal bulk pack next time. three people all shooting can chew through a lot of ammunition. :Blasting_

·
Registered
148 Posts
this next weekend, we'll be putting 5500 rounds of the wally world ammo thru 2 demo guns and then give away at the end of the match down in Fayette, MO.

Last time, we did that, it was blazer.....and both guns lasted thru 2000 rounds without cleaning.....then I hosed them both with gunsmith in a can and they both went thru 500 more with no problem.

Of course, I am sure the first thing that the lucky peope that got the guns did, was clean them up.

The cool things was......2000 rounds before a 10/22 stopped functioning? not to bad in my opinion. (still shot, just lots of jams)

Tim

·
Registered
31 Posts
I shoot CCI mini-mags and stingers in my charger, I have not had a problem what so ever with it. In my 10/22 rifle I shoot the mini-mags and also the wally world federals. The federals have not given me any trouble either. I am sure there are lots of good ammo out but these are the two I can readily get and fairly cheap also.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.