Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, I know this sounds sop****ric and too much like whuts the bes ammo fer my 10-22, but for owners of original Kimber of Clackamas Model 82 rifles, what in particular gave the best results? The first box of CCI Mini mags I shot gave great accuracy, so I went back and bought two more boxes, and they're awful, about 20% of rounds are subsonic and spray all over creation. I had some Federal 510 on hand, and when the "BANG" on every shot sounded alike, 1/2'' groups, but how rare is that when about every five or six shots you get bang pow poor phuft crack pop. I am going to get some test ammo to shoot, and I don't want to waste money on something that almost universally shoots poorly in everybody elses Kimbers. Some of the subsonic hollowpoints would be nice, there's CCI, Eley, SK, and Lapua. Among the lesser priced target ammos such as Eley Club, Lapua Super Club, Wolf Match Target, SK Standard Plus, SK Match, or even SK, Lapua or Eley's high velocity hollowpoints. The rifles test target was a one holer at short range with CCI Green Tag, but how does it perform nowadays in an oldie but goodie?? Or maybe even Winchester Super X and Power Points, Stingers or whatever? Save me some money guys, I'd rather sample what's proven good than risk blowing money on a box of everything made like I have in the past. :eek:PS wow the censor ship feature even cuts out a word like *** above meaning juvenile, inexperienced, childish, etc??

·
Registered
121 Posts
best results...

phil in alabama said:
...for owners of original Kimber of Clackamas Model 82 rifles, what in particular gave the best results?
Phil,
It's the "best results" part of your question that's going to get you many different answers. For me, I only shoot paper out to a max of 100 yards. Best performance for me has come from ammo with slower velocity, so among what I tried with my three Kimbers goes like this, from best to worst:

SK Match... Eley Club Xtra... Lapua Super Club...Wolf MT... SK Std+... CCI Std... Eley Silhouette, Eley HV... SK HV... CCI Silhouette... CCI MiniMag.

I would never shoot stingers in anything I didn't want to ruin. ---Tom

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
In my LH Custom Classic, one of the best cheap ammos has been CCI High Velocity solids. however, these are older and a new batch may give me and anyone else entirely different results. Other than that I'm afraid it's pretty much expensive, or discontinued, or expensive and discontinued stuff. (i.e. Fed. Ultramatch, Eley Tenex, Russian Olymp, etc.). Of course, I baby this gun a little, so I haven't done lots of testing of low to mid-priced ammo.

·
Registered
8,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Test number one completed, CCI Subsonic HP's. Five shot groups at 50 yards, best group 7/16'', worst group 1'', average .733''. One ten shot group 13/16'' or .8125'' decimally. Graded mediocre, on to the next one. At least there were no flyers, all groups were reasonably shaped. Ammo was hard to load, wax shaved entering chamber, loaded rounds wouldn't extract, and rim thickness was such that it was difficult to close the bolt handle on some rounds. CCI ammo may be entirely off the list. Two out of two bad so far. Federal made by ATK the same company as CCI also mediocre, so that's three bad knocks in a row. :eek:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Some quick rules of thumb for best accuracy:

Bullet has to stay supersonic all the way to the target, or start out and stay subsonic. This is true of any caliber, any range. The transition from super- to subsonic kills accurate bullet flight.

Never expose a target rimfire barrel to copper or brass, whether plated or jacketed bullets, or even bore brushes. If that's already happened, use a good copper solvent and a synthetic brush to get it back out. Get out any leading while you're at it. Stick with plain lead bullets with a waxy/greasy lube (anything). Keep shooting a few/ cleaning until all you get out of the bore is lube and some powder residue. Then -- stop -- cleaning.

Now you're ready to start testing ammo. If the objective is accuracy, that'll be anything subsonic, plain lead bullet, waxy/greasy lube. Push a few dry patches through between batches. No telling what your rifle will like: when you find it, buy a bunch of the exact same lot. My grandson's new M-82 Government from CMP happens to like Federal 711B, and we're lucky enough to have a local source for a bunch of it (it's discontinued). It'll put a box at a time into one ragged 3/8" hole without a single flyer. (Flyers are what'll kill you in a match.)

Good shooting --

·
Registered
221 Posts
Oneperfectshot said:
Some quick rules of thumb for best accuracy:

Bullet has to stay supersonic all the way to the target, or start out and stay subsonic. This is true of any caliber, any range. The transition from super- to subsonic kills accurate bullet flight.

Never expose a target rimfire barrel to copper or brass, whether plated or jacketed bullets, or even bore brushes. If that's already happened, use a good copper solvent and a synthetic brush to get it back out. Get out any leading while you're at it. Stick with plain lead bullets with a waxy/greasy lube (anything). Keep shooting a few/ cleaning until all you get out of the bore is lube and some powder residue. Then -- stop -- cleaning.

Now you're ready to start testing ammo. If the objective is accuracy, that'll be anything subsonic, plain lead bullet, waxy/greasy lube. Push a few dry patches through between batches. No telling what your rifle will like: when you find it, buy a bunch of the exact same lot. My grandson's new M-82 Government from CMP happens to like Federal 711B, and we're lucky enough to have a local source for a bunch of it (it's discontinued). It'll put a box at a time into one ragged 3/8" hole without a single flyer. (Flyers are what'll kill you in a match.)

Good shooting --
Good advice!

·
Registered
8,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, more tests. Number one, Winchester Super X HVHP. Simply awful, only one group less than an inch, not even going to bother averaging the groups. YUCK.

I cleaned the bore to remove all of the fouling and any possible copper residue. Got two more ammos from a good friend to test. Number two for the day, Wolf Match Target. Fired twenty rounds to season the bore with greasy ammo, first three groups were all over the place, the fourth was settling down, so I got serious with the fifth group for record. Smallest group, 3/8'', largest group 11/16'', average .58''. Getting better, but still not as good as I thought the rifle should shoot.

Third test of the day, magic. Waited for the wind to die down while servicing the lawn mower. Wash up, ready to go. Third ammo is SK Subsonic, the last box my bud had, and I have to thank him for giving it to me! It's not easy watching groups develop through a 4x scope, but you can see when it's one large hole just fine. Smallest group 1/4'', largest group 5/8'', average .446". Now THAT'S what I was looking for! Quiet, accurate, and a hollowpoint, now I have to order up a bunch of this stuff. :D

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
I have several 82s that I shoot alot. The Federal Ultramatch and Fed. Gold Medal Match do decent, in the .3's and .4's at 50 yds and I've been using Lapua club, comes in a 500 rd. can that Mid-South carries that does about the same. For a cheap round, try Win. Dynapoints or Fed. American Eagle. I have a couple of groups in the .1's that I shot with some 30+ yr. old Win. Expert, but that stuff is almost collector priced now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.