Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
  • Beware of Scammers! Does it sound too good to be true? New user has just what you were looking for? Don't get scammed! When in doubt, use escrow.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

· Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I lucked out and finally landed a fine 541-S. Found a brand new in-the-box, vintage, Bausch & Lomb scope for it and a single shot adapter. So now that I'm ready to go wade through the snow at the range, I'm looking for suggestions for target ammo. I do have some on hand from my 40XB, but any suggestions will be appreciated.
What does yours like??
Thanks in advance

· Registered
2,150 Posts
chick, what shoots well in your 40 will shoot well in your 541. Quality ammo is quality ammo. If I told you mine liked Eley match it wouldn't mean anything other than I was satisfied with that lot of Eley match. But I would start with some Lapua center X and if you can't find any, Eley Match is easy to come by right now. SK standard plus is a good option and most lots are good for the money. I have seen it around $7 a box lately.

How about some pics of the 541S ?

· Registered
1,940 Posts
I’ll second SK Std Plus. It’s good ammo thst usually shoots pretty well in most match or medium to high end .22 LR sporters.

Lapua makes SK Rifle Match, SK Std Plus, and SK Magazine are all made on the same machines with the same components. Lapua tests each lot for accuracy and consistency and that’s what determines how it is packaged. The lots that meet the tighter criteria for Rifle Match get packaged as such while the lots meeting the slightly lower standard for Sk Std P,us are packaged that way. The ammo that doesn’t meet the standards for either is canned as Sk Magazine.

In my experience with all three the difference isn’t accuracy as much as consistency. For example I can shoot a clean 200/200 prone score with my Anschutz on A-23-5 targets as 50 yards with Rifle Match. However with SK Match I normally get about 2 fliers per box of 50. These are uncalled fliers and they are significant with the bullet landing out in or on the inner edge of the 8 ring, and scores of 196-198/200 reflect that. With SK Magazine the number of fliers increase to around 4 per 50, with scores in the 192-196 range.

Given the nature of the fliers SK Match still makes great practice ammo, for me at least.

Both SK Std Plus and SK Magazine work well for long range plate shooting where the fliers don’t matter as much and or are lost in the noise of wind and range estimation errors.

CCI Standard Velocity is also a popular round in .22 LR Sporters as it’s not all that expansive but also shoots well in many rifles, although I think SK Std Plus shoots well in a larger percentage of rifle bores and is a little more accurate in general.

—-

My 541S is a bit of a disappointment compared to other sporters in its medium-high end production sporter class. It’s a 1.5 MOA rifle at 100 yards and is out shot by my three Winchester Model 52 reissue sporters, my CZ 453 Varmint, and one of my Zastava CZ99 Precisions (all around 1.25 MOA). It’s also outshot by my CZ 455 Varmint Heavy, my CZ 453 American, and my Kimber 82 All of which are 1 MOA 5 shot group rifles.

My 541S is in the same accuracy class as my Ruger 77/22, never known for stellar accuracy, and my other Zastava CZ99 precision, which is essentially a budget sporter that varies a bit more gun to gun but still punches well above its price class.

· Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not rich by any measure, but I never quite wrapped my head around putting bargain basement low octane regular in a muscle car, and I feel the same way about feeding a rimfire rifle that's capable of good accuracy.....call me what you will haha. I came to love target .22's after many years of benchrest centerfire competition, but only after the shock wore off about not being able to stir up custom ammunition formulas.
I appreciate what you are saying about different rifles and lots, but I have found that there can be rifle makes and models that have been barreled and chambered by the same manufacturer, that have similar ammo preferences., and sometimes the process of ammo selection can be shortened by asking the knowledgeable folks here at RFC for some advice.
I think you are also right about first choices and I intent to try Center X, Black box, and R50 right off the bat.

· Registered
2,254 Posts
Mine likes a variety of ammo but I get a lot of fliers with the SK Standard plus in all of my rifles, so that is relegated to plinking/practice ammo IMO... both my 541T and 541S like the RWS Rifle Match and for slightly less optimal but much cheaper performance Eley Contact works very well in both also.

I have heard different things about the 541S and 541T barrels and chambers. I heard the 541T has a match chamber and the 541S has a Bentz (?) chamber, I also heard the 541S has a lapped barrel while the 541T has a standard Lilja barrel. All of this is hearsay IMO and you will hear a lot of things about these rifles. I know my 541S will slightly outshoot my 541T but not by much. I know I'm going to eventually replace the crappy magazines with the new aftermarket units...

· Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have heard different things about the 541S and 541T barrels and chambers. I heard the 541T has a match chamber and the 541S has a Bentz (?) chamber, I also heard the 541S has a lapped barrel while the 541T has a standard Lilja barrel. All of this is hearsay IMO and you will hear a lot of things about these rifles. I know my 541S will slightly outshoot my 541T but not by much. I know I'm going to eventually replace the crappy magazines with the new aftermarket units...
I m interested to know about the "new aftermarket units".....more please!

· Registered
3,105 Posts
I find it interesting how everyone denigrates the ‘plastic’ magazine of the 540/580 series of rifles and yet here we are buying and praising plastic firearms. I have a dozen of them ( magazines ) they all still work , I wish they were flush fitting, plastic or metal.
my 2 cents………………..which you can leave on the counter like we all do.

won’t get into the ‘match chamber ‘ debate.

have a good day
Rich

· Registered
2,150 Posts
chicks, looking forward to the pics and reports.

Pretty much all you have heard about the S and T is not correct

The plastic magazines work extremely well, some have been doing it a really long time. I would prefer a nice metal mag and flush to boot if it only held three rounds. But the metal mags will not outperform the plastic ones. They may perform as well but it would be hard to beat something that has worked flawlessly for decades.

· Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There has been at least one photo I have seen in a "For Sale" ad that showed one of the stock nylon mags that was coming apart. I'm sure it is uncommon for that to happen. I agree that a flush mag would be great. Maybe we could convince Mr. Reed to work on that.
I'm just real excited to get this rifle to the range. The B&L scope that will be in the pics is for ammo testing only and the gun will be wearing a nice old gloss 4-12 Leupold as a permanent fixture.

· Registered
39 Posts
My 541S shoots most everything well. I have a lot of Eley Target that has been excellent. Moving up to Eley Match tightens up the groups, but at a much higher cost.

My best lot of SK Rifle match also shoots very well, but the rifle seems to get dirty sooner shooting the ammo with the greasy lube.

I used to have cold bore fliers when I first got the rifle but they have all but disappeared since cleaning a stubborn carbon ring out of the chamber. I have four 10 round poly mags and only one will reliably hold all of the rounds in place when fully loaded. The 6 round poly mag runs flawlessly. The metal replacements are on my list of future aquisitions.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts