Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Best 22 Target Pistol???

1913 Views 21 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  speed647
Hello, I sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm new here.

I've been shooting for years... mostly .45ACP, .38special, .357mag, 9mm, and .40S&W, as you can see by my current and past collection below. Believe it or not, I have never owned or shoot a 22. I've done a couple of different searches and found some comments on Ruger MKIII, and I've looked at Ruger's website and found a LOT of 22 pistols. I'd like to hear Pro's and Con's on the MKIII, as well as others.

Can anyone give me suggestions on a good and reliable 22 pistol?
------------------------------------------------------
Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current Collection: Glock G26, G19, G23C, SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100
Former Collection: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
307 Posts
No one has mentioned this (since it's a Ruger forum) but how about just getting a .22LR conversion kit for your Sig P226? About the same cost as a Ruger, but I think it would be very satisfying to shoot and would be better self defense practice than using a separate, quite different feeling pistol like a 22/45.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=104305510

BTW, how do you like your Sig? I'm thinking hard about a new P250 Subcompact in .40 S&W.... if it ever becomes available. How do you like the Sig compared to all those Glocks?

John Davies
Spokane WA

· Registered
307 Posts
Hello John,

I have heard of conversion kits for my Glock's as well, but would like a dedicated 22LR. Thanks for the suggestion.

The SIG P226 (.40S&W) is great... not one issue ever, and that includes my old P220 (.45ACP - wish I still had this one) and P239 (.40S&W - too small for my hand)... but the P250 is very new... I might want to wait a little while to see if there are any issues with it.
Then I think a Mk III or 22/45 would be dandy for you. I added 1911 grips and a Volquartsen trigger to my 22/45 Mk II and it shoots so good it's scary. I used to shoot at 40 feet but now I have move the targets to 75 feet to make it more of a challenge. If you decide on a 22/45, get a Mk III version, since it's much easier to put the 1911 grips on that version with the flatter frame.

(And yes, I know the rear sight pin was coming out. I checked both my Ruger handguns and they both had that problem, so I loctited them in place.)

Yeah, the P250 is BRAND new and apparently has teething pains. I hope Sig gets those straightened out soon, because after 12 years of a G23, I am ready for a new daily carry gun, one that is a little more compact and has night sights. I really like the modular design with the "fire control unit" that pops out for cleaning or a frame swap. The SubCompacts are "supposed to" hit the market by the end of the summer.... but Sig has a habit of lying about this stuff...

John Davies
Spokane WA

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.