Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Best 22 Target Pistol???

1903 Views 21 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  speed647
Hello, I sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm new here.

I've been shooting for years... mostly .45ACP, .38special, .357mag, 9mm, and .40S&W, as you can see by my current and past collection below. Believe it or not, I have never owned or shoot a 22. I've done a couple of different searches and found some comments on Ruger MKIII, and I've looked at Ruger's website and found a LOT of 22 pistols. I'd like to hear Pro's and Con's on the MKIII, as well as others.

Can anyone give me suggestions on a good and reliable 22 pistol?
------------------------------------------------------
Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current Collection: Glock G26, G19, G23C, SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100
Former Collection: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What cp1969 said. Rugers are very nice pistols. Model 41's are just better balanced, more shootable pistols. Prettier too. And infinitely easier to strip and clean. They also get an incredibly smaller amount of crud built up in their actions after shooting them for 500 rounds. And they cost twice as much. You can get aftermarket parts for the Ruger that will make its trigger better and after you spend as much money as the Model 41 costs, you'll have a nice pistol that is almost as nice as the S&W is right outta the box. Your choice.
gkn
Sorry, I maybe should have said I'm not intending on spending a lot of money on this gun, otherwise I would buy a new Springfield EMP or something like that. So a S&W 41 might be a little outside what I was thinking of.

I'm looking for a good, reliable 22 for the range... not sure what the dollar range is, but not $1000, and I'm sure $600 might be a little high, after all it is my first 22.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks a lot every for talking (typing) about this... it helps to here from people that own some of the guns I'm considering... Right now, I'm leaning toward the Ruger 22/45 MKIII 5 1/2", unless I can find a MKII. There is a very big gun show coming up in August... I'd like to make a decision before that show.

I will be seeing what the local gun range has to rent.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No one has mentioned this (since it's a Ruger forum) but how about just getting a .22LR conversion kit for your Sig P226? About the same cost as a Ruger, but I think it would be very satisfying to shoot and would be better self defense practice than using a separate, quite different feeling pistol like a 22/45.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=104305510

BTW, how do you like your Sig? I'm thinking hard about a new P250 Subcompact in .40 S&W.... if it ever becomes available. How do you like the Sig compared to all those Glocks?

John Davies
Spokane WA
Hello John,

I have heard of conversion kits for my Glock's as well, but would like a dedicated 22LR. Thanks for the suggestion.

The SIG P226 (.40S&W) is great... not one issue ever, and that includes my old P220 (.45ACP - wish I still had this one) and P239 (.40S&W - too small for my hand)... but the P250 is very new... I might want to wait a little while to see if there are any issues with it.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks everybody for the input... I called a good local gunshop and asked for the price of a KP512MKIII... they said they could order one, but they had a used MKII for sale... he told me the price... I had to take a look...

It was in fantastic condition... very, very little wear... it had only a couple hundred rounds put through it, and was traded in on a larger revolver... for the price I could not pass it up.

I wanted to add an image, but every time I preview the image... it get's edited and I can't see it... like this...

But, I'm sure you all know what a Ruger 22/45 MKII looks like.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.