Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Best 22 Target Pistol???

1845 21
Hello, I sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm new here.

I've been shooting for years... mostly .45ACP, .38special, .357mag, 9mm, and .40S&W, as you can see by my current and past collection below. Believe it or not, I have never owned or shoot a 22. I've done a couple of different searches and found some comments on Ruger MKIII, and I've looked at Ruger's website and found a LOT of 22 pistols. I'd like to hear Pro's and Con's on the MKIII, as well as others.

Can anyone give me suggestions on a good and reliable 22 pistol?
------------------------------------------------------
Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current Collection: Glock G26, G19, G23C, SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100
Former Collection: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Not really a 'con' on the Ruger, but they are not the easiest pistols to field strip and clean. They seem to usually be very accurate and reliable. For the money, they are very hard to beat.

My personal feeling is that the S&W 41 is a much nicer pistol but you will pay a lot more for it. It will not necessarily shoot any better; it's just nicer. Don't know how else to describe it.

If you can find one, the old High Standard target pistols were very nice, too. I had a Victor that would drive tacks and never had any reliability issues. Like a fool, I sold it.

I am personally fond of S&W K22's.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I own the MkIII 22/45 Bull Barrel, can't say enough about this gun its been utterly reliable and accurate. I only wish I could find a wider grip for it. If you like the 1911 grip style the 22/45 works, but for me it is alittle slight.
Field strip is a pain until you get the hang of it, then its no biggie at all.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
You can always put 1911 grips on the 22/45.easy to do and makes a world of difference.Slow

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
What cp1969 said. Rugers are very nice pistols. Model 41's are just better balanced, more shootable pistols. Prettier too. And infinitely easier to strip and clean. They also get an incredibly smaller amount of crud built up in their actions after shooting them for 500 rounds. And they cost twice as much. You can get aftermarket parts for the Ruger that will make its trigger better and after you spend as much money as the Model 41 costs, you'll have a nice pistol that is almost as nice as the S&W is right outta the box. Your choice.
gkn

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What cp1969 said. Rugers are very nice pistols. Model 41's are just better balanced, more shootable pistols. Prettier too. And infinitely easier to strip and clean. They also get an incredibly smaller amount of crud built up in their actions after shooting them for 500 rounds. And they cost twice as much. You can get aftermarket parts for the Ruger that will make its trigger better and after you spend as much money as the Model 41 costs, you'll have a nice pistol that is almost as nice as the S&W is right outta the box. Your choice.
gkn
Sorry, I maybe should have said I'm not intending on spending a lot of money on this gun, otherwise I would buy a new Springfield EMP or something like that. So a S&W 41 might be a little outside what I was thinking of.

I'm looking for a good, reliable 22 for the range... not sure what the dollar range is, but not $1000, and I'm sure $600 might be a little high, after all it is my first 22.

·
Premium Member
30,507 Posts
Sorry, I maybe should have said I'm not intending on spending a lot of money on this gun, otherwise I would buy a new Springfield EMP or something like that. So a S&W 41 might be a little outside what I was thinking of.

I'm looking for a good, reliable 22 for the range... not sure what the dollar range is, but not $1000, and I'm sure $600 might be a little high, after all it is my first 22.
The Ruger or the Browning BuckMark will serve you well. You should go to your local range and try out both pistols to see which one fits you better. Most people will let you try their pistol. It is hard to tell by just holding them, especially considering the fact that you shouldn't dry fire a rimfire gun.
The Ruger is reliable and more accurate than most of us. The BuckMark has these same characteristics, but it is more ergonomic for most people. It feels more like a S&W 41 since it has a modern grip angle. The Ruger has an older style grip angle on the MK Series and is more difficult to disassemble.
You should shoot both and decide which one you like best, after all it is how "you" shoot it that counts.

·
Registered
102 Posts
No one has mentioned the slide on the magazine of the Ruger. Can hold it down with one hand and fill the magazine in a flash. I have a MKll Target and love it. Very accurate, believe you would be hard pressed to find anything that would beat it for the price. my son-in-law has a Browning Buckmark and I like my Ruger the best. His Browning shoots good, but the Ruger comes through when it has to.:Blasting_

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
The Ruger magazine does have a "button" I guess you'd call it that you can pull down to take the pressure off the spring when loading.

Both my wife's MK II, and my MK III 22/45 are boringly reliable and accurate. I'm not much of a pistol shot and even I can hit a target with mine from time to time.

The Ruger, either a MK II or MK III isn't all that difficult to field strip and reassemble. It's just not intuitive, so you HAVE to follow the directions, carefully reading and absorbing every word. Some of the wording is not realy clear unless you stop and think about it. You'll read it, but it won't really sink in what it means if that makes sense. For example at one point they tell you to "manipulate the hammer" or something like that. I don't know how many times I read that before it hit me. (SMACK self on forehead here) OH!! They mean PUSH the hammer (I use a pencil). Duhhhhhh Follow the direction and you'll do fine. I still get the book out today and do it step by step but I don't think it's any harder now than a 1911.

Of course on the other hand, that's why they invented "Gunscrubber." (Make sure you use the polymer safe version.)

One like this sells for about $250.00 at Bud's Gun Shop online. http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_49_74/products_id/14307 The BSA red dot came from Wally World. About $30.00.

I've never fired a Buckmark or a Smith & Wesson 22A, but people seem to think a lot of them, so I'll defer to their experience with them.

We won't talk about revolvers.............................yet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks a lot every for talking (typing) about this... it helps to here from people that own some of the guns I'm considering... Right now, I'm leaning toward the Ruger 22/45 MKIII 5 1/2", unless I can find a MKII. There is a very big gun show coming up in August... I'd like to make a decision before that show.

I will be seeing what the local gun range has to rent.

·
Registered
307 Posts
No one has mentioned this (since it's a Ruger forum) but how about just getting a .22LR conversion kit for your Sig P226? About the same cost as a Ruger, but I think it would be very satisfying to shoot and would be better self defense practice than using a separate, quite different feeling pistol like a 22/45.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=104305510

BTW, how do you like your Sig? I'm thinking hard about a new P250 Subcompact in .40 S&W.... if it ever becomes available. How do you like the Sig compared to all those Glocks?

John Davies
Spokane WA

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No one has mentioned this (since it's a Ruger forum) but how about just getting a .22LR conversion kit for your Sig P226? About the same cost as a Ruger, but I think it would be very satisfying to shoot and would be better self defense practice than using a separate, quite different feeling pistol like a 22/45.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=104305510

BTW, how do you like your Sig? I'm thinking hard about a new P250 Subcompact in .40 S&W.... if it ever becomes available. How do you like the Sig compared to all those Glocks?

John Davies
Spokane WA
Hello John,

I have heard of conversion kits for my Glock's as well, but would like a dedicated 22LR. Thanks for the suggestion.

The SIG P226 (.40S&W) is great... not one issue ever, and that includes my old P220 (.45ACP - wish I still had this one) and P239 (.40S&W - too small for my hand)... but the P250 is very new... I might want to wait a little while to see if there are any issues with it.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Don't over look the Browning Buck Mark

There are a slew of variations of the Buck Mark, but they are all accurate. Several are designed for target &/or varmint shooting and they can be modified easily for trigger, pull, etc. I have a couple Rugers as well, and I wouldn't get rid of any of them. JUST more of the same if I could afford it.
VH67 :eek:man: :D

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hello John,

I have heard of conversion kits for my Glock's as well, but would like a dedicated 22LR. Thanks for the suggestion.

The SIG P226 (.40S&W) is great... not one issue ever, and that includes my old P220 (.45ACP - wish I still had this one) and P239 (.40S&W - too small for my hand)... but the P250 is very new... I might want to wait a little while to see if there are any issues with it.
Then I think a Mk III or 22/45 would be dandy for you. I added 1911 grips and a Volquartsen trigger to my 22/45 Mk II and it shoots so good it's scary. I used to shoot at 40 feet but now I have move the targets to 75 feet to make it more of a challenge. If you decide on a 22/45, get a Mk III version, since it's much easier to put the 1911 grips on that version with the flatter frame.

(And yes, I know the rear sight pin was coming out. I checked both my Ruger handguns and they both had that problem, so I loctited them in place.)

Yeah, the P250 is BRAND new and apparently has teething pains. I hope Sig gets those straightened out soon, because after 12 years of a G23, I am ready for a new daily carry gun, one that is a little more compact and has night sights. I really like the modular design with the "fire control unit" that pops out for cleaning or a frame swap. The SubCompacts are "supposed to" hit the market by the end of the summer.... but Sig has a habit of lying about this stuff...

John Davies
Spokane WA

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks everybody for the input... I called a good local gunshop and asked for the price of a KP512MKIII... they said they could order one, but they had a used MKII for sale... he told me the price... I had to take a look...

It was in fantastic condition... very, very little wear... it had only a couple hundred rounds put through it, and was traded in on a larger revolver... for the price I could not pass it up.

I wanted to add an image, but every time I preview the image... it get's edited and I can't see it... like this...

But, I'm sure you all know what a Ruger 22/45 MKII looks like.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.