Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I agree with what the other guys said and I will add something I've noticed the past few weeks. I've been shooting around 600 rounds of match ammo, testing lots, brands, etc. in three different rifles and logging which did best in each rifle. I noticed yesterday that a particular lot of Lapua Midas that shot poorly in a particular rifle last week--shot exceptional yesterday. And I'm talking averages of ten 5-shot groups at fifty yards. The temperature was higher yesterday so maybe that was a factor. So now I'm wondering if some of these different ammos work different on different days? Just another piece to the puzzle--but it keeps tinkering with rimfires interesting:) Then again--some rifles seem to shoot everything pretty well--and some stuff great. Two of my 52 Winchesters are like that--I wish it'd rub off on some of the rest of my rifles!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, but maybe I should clarify my question. Would you guys recommend using Subsonic or high velocity out to 100 yds? I have read different opinions on the matter. I've thought about using the Aguila with the 1750 FPS, but it only has a 30 grain bullet. It seems to me that the wind would effect this bullet more than the 60 grain subsonic ammo that Aguila makes. The only problem with this is the fact that the 60 grain is only around 900 FPS. I know of pellet guns that shoot faster than this. Then there are the bullets that Wolf makes that are suppossed to be the most accurate .22 rimfire made, and they have the standard 40 grain bullet. All of these different makes of bullet sure can confuse the mess out of someone. I suppose like you guys stated, I just have to experiment and find the best ones for my particular rifle.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Most all of my rifles seem to prefer the standard velocity ammo. I only target shoot at 50 yards so I can't tell how they would shoot at 100. I do know that the ammo that shoots the smallest groups at 25 yards doesn't always shoot the best at 50? The Wolf, Eley, and Lapua all seem to shoot well. There is also the theory that the HV gets to the target faster and the wind doesn't have as much time to act on it, but then again you have the sound barrier breaking tremble that they say a bullet gets when it breaks the sound barrier. I'm not sure if the bullet is still super sonic at 100 yards, but if it is, it breakes the barrier twice--one starting out and again slowing back down. Maybe one of the nice guys a lot smarter than me can clear this up. I saw a thread last week where it was explained in a way someone could understand it. Search the .22 ammo threads and you should fnd it. Personally, I gave up trying to get normal bulk ammo to be consistent years ago. Some of it shoots very well and some of it don't. But most of the best ammo cost ten times as much as bulk ammo!! That makes .22's a lot of fun--the options are staggering with all of the ammo out there to try.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Welome!

I have nothing to add except listen to the more experienced guys that posted already. These guys know their stuff. I'm still learning.

I can, however, relate a few experiences of my own.

One thing to remember is, you get what you pay for.... almost. What I mean by "almost" is:

A $6 to $7 box (50 rounds) shoots the best in a target rifle I have. Its great stuff. BUT, the $0.85 CCI Blazers shoot very well, just not as tight, maybe a flyer every once in a while.

If I'm at the range shooting broken chunks of clay birds left over from the shotgun guys, at distances of 75 to 100 yards, I'll use Blazers. I can shoot all day and not go broke. Now if I was shooting in competition, where a huge pot of money is to be won (so I've heard), I'm gonna use the $7 stuff. Understand??

I must ad that there are certain good values (best bang for the buck) Wolf Match Target, which you'll hear a lot about, is great stuff. It can be had for $20 brick. Outshoots a lot of more expensive stuff on the market. Of course there are others that exist, Wolf is just a good example.

Much more can be said. And again, I'm still learning.

steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.