Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post.

I bought a B14r. Dropped the barreled action in a Xlr stock with seekins base and rings. Viper pst 5-25. All torqued your spec and installed correctly.

The first 1500 rounds shot lights OUT.

after this the rifle fell apart. 1.5” groups.

I cleaned the barrel with rimfire blend and a bronze brush, nylon brush. Cotton patches. Re torqued everything.

back to the range, still doesn’t shoot well.

sent the gun back to bergara. They produced a .54” and a .65” group at 50 yds. Said there were no issues.

Im shooting sk standard plus and rifle match. The gun just will not shoot like it did when I bought it.

where do I go from here? I thought bergara guaranteed 1 moa? And now I get a card with moa+ groups? And it’s fine.

what now? I can barely hit a quarter at 50 yds.

this thing used to shoot ten rounds into a dime when I first bought it.

·
Registered
528 Posts
How many rounds thru it after you cleaned it? Is the scope off? My son had high dollar Votex crap out on his Bergara 6.5 Creedmoor and a 6.5 Grendel, he was sent ones that put him back on tight groups. Try some different ammo as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I wanted a B14R and went into a gun store primed to purchase immediately. The clerk handed me the one with the carbon fiber bandaged barrel and the action was so rough it turned my stomach. I thought they forgot to finish it. Then he handed me one with a steel barrel and it was slicker than my CZ. I didn't buy it because couldn't believe the quality control that allowed two guns so different in quality out the door. I don't regret not buying it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The bergara guarantee is sub moa. Rimfire guns are tested at 50 yds. The test groups they gave me were over moa (.56”and .68” groups at 50yds). Which isn’t sub moa . That doesn’t make sense.

when I first got the gun, it put 15 rounds into a single ragged hole. It was unreal. I could line up 50 dimes at 50 yards and hit every single one. It was incredible.

About 1500 rounds later (all sk rifle match) the gun was shooting awful, like 1” plus. Dirty or clean it didn’t matter.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Sounds like you started to shoot a lot of ammo the gun doesn't like. Not all SK Rifle Match is identical...which is why when a shooter finds a lot that shoots well, they try to buy all of it they can. This has happened to me with Lapua Center-X....lot X is great, lot Y sucks.

Check your muzzle crown for any damage, that could affect accuracy also. There might also be a carbon ring built up in the chamber that may need to be removed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sounds like you started to shoot a lot of ammo the gun doesn't like. Not all SK Rifle Match is identical...which is why when a shooter finds a lot that shoots well, they try to buy all of it they can. This has happened to me with Lapua Center-X....lot X is great, lot Y sucks.

Check your muzzle crown for any damage, that could affect accuracy also. There might also be a carbon ring built up in the chamber that may need to be removed.
I’ve tried multiple lots, sk standard plus, pistol match, high velocity, you name it….. can’t get the accuracy back. I’ve also cleaned the bite to the point of thinking I’m gonna wear out the rifling. 25-30 passes with a bronze brush and solvent every 200 rounds.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I’ve tried multiple lots, sk standard plus, pistol match, high velocity, you name it….. can’t get the accuracy back. I’ve also cleaned the bite to the point of thinking I’m gonna wear out the rifling. 25-30 passes with a bronze brush and solvent every 200 rounds.
That is WAY too much cleaning, which may be your problem. 22's don't generally like to be deep cleaned...a certain amount of carbon fouling is needed in a rimfire barrel. When I clean my B14R, it gets 5 patches at most, and never any brushes. The only part of the rifle I regularly clean is the bolt and action, so it stays smooth and well lubricated. It will take about 20-30 rounds to build back up the fouling the rifle likes to shoot at it's most accurate.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That is WAY too much cleaning, which may be your problem. 22's don't generally like to be deep cleaned...a certain amount of carbon fouling is needed in a rimfire barrel. When I clean my B14R, it gets 5 patches at most, and never any brushes. The only part of the rifle I regularly clean is the bolt and action, so it stays smooth and well lubricated. It will take about 20-30 rounds to build back up the fouling the rifle likes to shoot at it's most accurate.
generally speaking I agree. I fired the first 1500 rounds with almost no cleaning. Once the accuracy dropped off, I ran about 5 patches through it and it shot good for about 100 rounds. Then back to poor groups again. Now it seems not want to shoot at all.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I’m kind of at my wits end with the gun. I’m not inexperienced when it comes to rifles. I’ve been doing this a while.

I have gone from no cleaning , to some cleaning, to scrubbing it. Different ammos, different lots, different scopes, retorqued rings and chassis, etc. I cannot this gun to shoot like it did when it was new. It used to shoot single hole grouops consistently. Now I can barely hit a quarter at 50 yds.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I know what my b14r is capable of so if I am shooting and all of a sudden its not accuraye then I look at myself in a mirror and say another day and time. It's either that or something amiss with your set up. I say let someone else shoot it to verify issues then go from there. Could be a scope issue or ammo issue given parameter of weather dictating the issues. So int theory there are a lot of variable and troubleshooting can lead to extreme hair loss.

BTW....I don'r ever run a wire anything bore brush down a match rifle and especially a 22lr rifle.

·
Premium Member
5,426 Posts
Three things to check: the crown is easy. Don't just inspect visually: do a Q-Tip test. Second: get yourself a Teslong borescope ($50 from Amazon) and really take a look at your chamber. Third, remove some chambered rounds before firing and see whether there is any bullet damage/engraving during the feed process.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I know what my b14r is capable of so if I am shooting and all of a sudden its not accuraye then I look at myself in a mirror and say another day and time. It's either that or something amiss with your set up. I say let someone else shoot it to verify issues then go from there. Could be a scope issue or ammo issue given parameter of weather dictating the issues. So int theory there are a lot of variable and troubleshooting can lead to extreme hair loss.

BTW....I don'r ever run a wire anything bore brush down a match rifle and especially a 22lr rifle.
It’s definitely not me (yes I know everyone says that). I happy my friends b14r lights out, as does he. Neither of us can get my rifle to group, so I know it’s the gun.

I’ve always run bronze brushes. I know it’s debatable between that or nylon. When I spoke to bergara they specifically said to use a bronze brush for cleaning as nylon wouldn’t remove heavy buildup.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Sell it for a loss and move on. No need to fight it anymore…sounds like you’ve done everything you can and it still not shooting right. I am wondering though how Bergera shot a couple over moa targets and say it was fine if they do in fact have a sub moa guarantee 🤔. Did you ask them the same ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sell it for a loss and move on. No need to fight it anymore…sounds like you’ve done everything you can and it still not shooting right. I am wondering though how Bergera shot a couple over moa targets and say it was fine if they do in fact have a sub moa guarantee 🤔. Did you ask them the same ?
I am going to call them Monday and ask. Their website specifically states sub moa, center fire rifles being shot at 100 yds and rimfire at 50. Neither of the groups the rifle produced were sub moa at 50yds (.54” and .65”) although close. Which kind of has me scratching my head bc it specifically states sub moa, and neither of the groups were.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts