Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking for a summer carry gun and found a Tomcat .32 at the last local gun show. I took it to the range this weekend to see how it works before getting a pocket holster or IWB holster.

I cleaned the gun and got a couple boxes of ammo to try. I shot Magtech 71 grain ball and Remington UMC 71 grain MC for starters. The Magtech shot 2" low and 1" left at 7 yards. The Remington shot 1" high and 1" left at the same distance. I was not using any type of rest so it might just have been me that made the difference. I did try some Federal Hydra-shok 65 grain HP. I was not happy with the HP rounds. I got a jam on the 3rd round. After that I removed all the rest and went back to the other rounds. I put 103 rounds through it today. Only one problem I have already mentioned. I got roughly fist sized groups at 7 yards. It isn't the best but for a CCW it should work. I tried some natural point of aim shooting at 5 yards and found at that range it did pretty good. The sights are very low and not easy to see in the low lighting of the indoor range. It is possible to adjust the rear sight for the shooting left problem. Once I'm sure just how much it is off I will have the gunsmith at the range change it for me. This gun doesn't lock to the rear after the last shot. There isn't any way to lock the slide back any time. The barrel tips up to load the one in the tube and by moving the lever to open it up you can easily see if it is loaded. It will fire with or with out a magazine. Field stripping is very easy to do. It takes no time at all. Shooting the first round with double action takes a long trigger pull and is fairly hard. That makes it a good thing so I can carry it loaded with the safety off without too many worries. I prefer not to have to rack a slide every time I might need to use it.

The bottom line is for a little gun with only a 2" barrel it works fairly well. I will be using the Federals only for the first round. The magazine will be loaded with only ball rounds. Until I am sure I have a reliable HP round that doesn't jam it won't be in the magazine.

Now it is time to get it cleaned up so it will be ready for use again.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I've shot one of these a couple of times. My BIL and a friend of mine each have one. I put a couple of magazines through each of them. They were reliable with no issues at all. I have one of the model 21's in 22 long rifle. I have put hundreds and maybe thousands of rounds through it and never had an issue. It is a nice little pocket pistol for running down to the store when I don't feel like changing clothes just to carry the Glock or the Makarov. I like the fact that it can be carried cocked and locked like a government model.

enjoy

Bob Riggins

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've shot one of these a couple of times. My BIL and a friend of mine each have one. I put a couple of magazines through each of them. They were reliable with no issues at all. I have one of the model 21's in 22 long rifle. I have put hundreds and maybe thousands of rounds through it and never had an issue. It is a nice little pocket pistol for running down to the store when I don't feel like changing clothes just to carry the Glock or the Makarov. I like the fact that it can be carried cocked and locked like a government model.

enjoy

Bob Riggins
I prefer just to use the double action. That is just like the Sig P226. You just point make a long trigger pull then go to single action. The sig does have a much smoother trigger but when I look at the price difference there isn't much you can say. I like the small size of the TomCat. I'm still thinking about the 21. If I could try one I would probably make a decision. There is a nice flash when you shoot The TomCat. Sometime in the future I will try it out with very low lighting to see how much it will be. Since the recoil isn't bad you can get back on target pretty fast. I think my wife might like this gun too. I will have to see what she says on Monday. We get to go the range again. Three day weekends are good for that.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It has been a while now and the Tomcat is doing well. I found PMC 60 gr. JHP will feed very well in this gun. The price per box of 50 is not unreasonable as well. I have fired several magazines and not a single problem with PMC, Remington UMC, CCI Blazer and Magtech ammo. At 7 yards I can easily put all rounds in 1.5" group. Probably could do a little better with practice.

Now I have a summer carry gun that fits very easily under a tee shirt without having to get one that is over sized.

Field stripping and cleaning is very easy. This 2 tone gun works well where a small gun is wanted.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts

enjoy

Bob Riggins
Mine was a jam-o-matic. Never found the right round. What are you shooting thru yours? I mean the .22

·
Premium Member
4,681 Posts
Women: Racking the Slide on Pocket Auto

I think my wife might like this gun too.
I'll bet she will.
Women were the original customer base for the tip-up barrel pocket autos.
Apparently, some ladies have a problem racking the slide to load a round in the chamber of some pocket autos.

I know my wife had some difficulty operating the slide of her Walther PPK/S .380 stainless.
In-fact, she cut her finger doing so.
As such, for her purposes the pistol had to go.
So, I bought her a S&W snub nose revolver - problem solved.

·
Premium Member
4,681 Posts
Tomcat Has NO Extractor

Another interesting feature of the Tomcat.
Particularly unusual is that the Tomcat has no extractor.
Gas pressure alone clears the empty shell casing from the chamber.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.