Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just my imagination; The ARX-160 doesn't really get any love, is it that bad of a rifle?

Yea, it's a little weird looking, (but it's growing on me) and I notice that LGS still have ample stock on hand. Anyone have any experience with one?

·
Registered
480 Posts
I believe a lot of it has to do with the ARX being a little late to the party following Colt, S&W, Sig, and HK . I have owned 3 versions of the 15/22 (one of them the Performance Center model) and the Sig 522. All of them have been flawless performers for me, but the Beretta is the most accurate with the Sig in a close second. The Beretta and the Smith's have been the most fun for me. I personally had a hard time warming up to the ergonomics and looks of the Sig. Some might say the same of the Beretta. But for me the Beretta balances nicely and shoots the smoothest. I also think a lot of people were hoping Beretta would build their own like Smith and Sig but they are made in Germany by Umarex like the Colt and HK offerings and that may have soured some. But the magazines are interchangeable. To each their own, but I think the Beretta is well made and I like it. Better to have more guns to choose from than too few. Shoot as many as you can.

Rick

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your thoughts. I also have 2 15-22s and a Sig 522. Both are fun but looking to add something to the collection and the ARX-160 has peeked my interest. (I like "black" rifles)

Umarex doesn't bother me, but I didn't care for their colt / Hk clone offerings. Too hard to break down for a thorough cleaning. The ARX-160 seems to be more along the lines of the 15-22 and Sig 522 for ease of field stripping for cleaning.

Since I haven't seen any reports of fatal flaws, I might just pick one up.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
There's a buyer beware video on Youtube:

In the comments, from the poster of the video:

"The dealer I bought the ARX from just exchanged it for another."

"The new one is good and surprised the heck out of me with its accuracy"

Must be a bad batch or just one bad gun. It happens to every company occasionally.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the heads up!

With all mechanical things that we build, a bad one is bound to pop up now and them. I have seen the vids comments as well and over all he seem happy with them once he got the bad one replaced.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I have one of these and while I have not shot it at 100 yards I was able to sight it in at 20 yards with no problems. I like the rifle just fine and not sure which I like best out of the Sig 522, S&W MP-15.22 or this one. I have submitted paperwork to put a stock on my Sig P522 and then that will likely be my favorite.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I couldn't resist picked one up last week:

The rifle is mostly polymer, surprising, the bolt is a 2 piece affair. The lower part where most of the work occurs is a metal, the upper part is plastic. At 1st I was a little dismayed, but soon realized that the plastic part of the bolt is riding in the plastic part of the upper. Hmmm...

Did normal new gun cleaning, threw some frog lube on it and hit the range. Had a Burris AR-332 optic laying around so used that. 500 rounds later using mostly CCI mini mags and winchester 555 bulk pack, I can report not one hiccup.

Now the shocking part, I was able to hold consistent 1 inch groups at 50 yards. More shocking the trigger on this thing is terrible, heavy, and gritty. I really wounder if this would do better with a decent trigger in it.

Over all, I am pleasantly surprised with the rifles performance. Next question; will it hold up, only time will tell.

·
Registered
211 Posts
My ARX160 was a big disapointment, i am a huge fan of beretta and i love there guns, i am really into 22lr trainers and look a likes, My favorite gun is still a 92fs,

I bought the ARX in hopes it would be as good as the sig 522 for the price i paid for it was about the same 499.99 the sig was 519.00, it lacked in accuracy and reliability with several different brands of ammo, the 522 ate them all, so did the 15-22, and the mk22 and the mossberg 715t and the STG22, all guns work and function properly on fed automatch, cci tactical and winchester black box m22 tactical, the ARX was the only gun that had continuous malfunctions 1 in every 5 shots was a Failure to feed.

Long story short my ARX has a bad feed ramp, i have improved upon it, it is now 95% reliable so 1 in 20 shots hang up now, but overall i have just been disappointed in it, for the same price as the 522 i have not found it to be near the same quality of gun the 522 is or as accurate, it is on the same level as the m&p15-22 i would say so you must be paying 150 more for that beretta name, right now the 15-22 and the 522 are my go to guns, the 522 when i want that better accuracy at the range, and the 15-22 when i just want to go plink out in the desert and i dont mind it getting dirty or scratched, the ARX just sits in the safe next to the stg and other guns that are more safe queens then shooters now.

I still cant find a new barrel in stock for the ARX anywhere that is a 16" over my 18" anyone know a source that makes them yet?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
My ARX160 was a big disapointment, i am a huge fan of beretta and i love there guns, i am really into 22lr trainers and look a likes, My favorite gun is still a 92fs,

I bought the ARX in hopes it would be as good as the sig 522 for the price i paid for it was about the same 499.99 the sig was 519.00, it lacked in accuracy and reliability with several different brands of ammo, the 522 ate them all, so did the 15-22, and the mk22 and the mossberg 715t and the STG22, all guns work and function properly on fed automatch, cci tactical and winchester black box m22 tactical, the ARX was the only gun that had continuous malfunctions 1 in every 5 shots was a Failure to feed.

Long story short my ARX has a bad feed ramp, i have improved upon it, it is now 95% reliable so 1 in 20 shots hang up now, but overall i have just been disappointed in it, for the same price as the 522 i have not found it to be near the same quality of gun the 522 is or as accurate, it is on the same level as the m&p15-22 i would say so you must be paying 150 more for that beretta name, right now the 15-22 and the 522 are my go to guns, the 522 when i want that better accuracy at the range, and the 15-22 when i just want to go plink out in the desert and i dont mind it getting dirty or scratched, the ARX just sits in the safe next to the stg and other guns that are more safe queens then shooters now.

I still cant find a new barrel in stock for the ARX anywhere that is a 16" over my 18" anyone know a source that makes them yet?
Sorry to hear of your troubles with the ARX; it is another in a long line of Walther/Umarex-made .22 clones with something of a mixed reputation. I was intrigued by the gun myself, as it offers a lot of features, and I've seen it for under $400 at several online retailers in the past year.
I've handled a couple examples, and found the light weight and awkward forend ergonomics a bit off-putting. I too thought it might be a interesting Sig 522 alternative, but I've come to realize there is really only one way to match the Sig, and that is to buy one :D :bthumb: My buddy's 522 has been nothing short of stellar in terms of performance and reliability - he's had it almost six years now, and I don't think it has ever malfunctioned for any reason. I've shot another friend's M&P 15-22, and though it isn't a bad gun (and takes most AR goodies), I don't think it's as durable, reliable, or well made as the Sig - neither is it much, if any cheaper, most of the time.
I'm not a big fan of the stiff-loading Black Dog magazines Sig uses (though they are highly dirt/grime resistant and very reliable), and remain disappointed that Sig has yet to fit a good set of iron sights to the design. Otherwise, it is excellent in every way - ergonomics, smooth trigger, ease of cleaning, etc. - and is easily the finest .22 LR semi-auto I've fired, and the most impressive rimfire rifle design I've come across :bthumb: :Blasting_

Kind Regards,

~ SH ~

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Street price seems to vary widely , got mine for $330, now is almost $500. It's no lighter than most AR's, about 6.5 lbs. No problems at all with mine, not a single FTF. Mags are easy to load. Accuracy is about on par with most other tacticool .22's. Since I put a muzzle target crown on it, haven't tested it. My trigger isn't terrible & has been getting better with use.

My CMMG AR-22 upper on New Frontier polymer lower was target crowned from the factory & is much more accurate & closer to 5.5 lbs. Polymer trigger hammer is better than the Beretta, but nothing like the ALG Defense 3.5 lb on my AR.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Sorry to hear of your troubles with the ARX; it is another in a long line of Walther/Umarex-made .22 clones with something of a mixed reputation. I was intrigued by the gun myself, as it offers a lot of features, and I've seen it for under $400 at several online retailers in the past year.
I've handled a couple examples, and found the light weight and awkward forend ergonomics a bit off-putting. I too thought it might be a interesting Sig 522 alternative, but I've come to realize there is really only one way to match the Sig, and that is to buy one :D :bthumb: My buddy's 522 has been nothing short of stellar in terms of performance and reliability - he's had it almost six years now, and I don't think it has ever malfunctioned for any reason. I've shot another friend's M&P 15-22, and though it isn't a bad gun (and takes most AR goodies), I don't think it's as durable, reliable, or well made as the Sig - neither is it much, if any cheaper, most of the time.
I'm not a big fan of the stiff-loading Black Dog magazines Sig uses (though they are highly dirt/grime resistant and very reliable), and remain disappointed that Sig has yet to fit a good set of iron sights to the design. Otherwise, it is excellent in every way - ergonomics, smooth trigger, ease of cleaning, etc. - and is easily the finest .22 LR semi-auto I've fired, and the most impressive rimfire rifle design I've come across :bthumb: :Blasting_

Kind Regards,

~ SH ~
I agree with you 100% the 522 is just the cat's meow and honestly after buying it and the m&p15-22 i dont even shoot the custom 10-22 anymore, what kind of groups do you get out of your 522?

Street price seems to vary widely , got mine for $330, now is almost $500. It's no lighter than most AR's, about 6.5 lbs. No problems at all with mine, not a single FTF. Mags are easy to load. Accuracy is about on par with most other tacticool .22's. Since I put a muzzle target crown on it, haven't tested it. My trigger isn't terrible & has been getting better with use.

My CMMG AR-22 upper on New Frontier polymer lower was target crowned from the factory & is much more accurate & closer to 5.5 lbs. Polymer trigger hammer is better than the Beretta, but nothing like the ALG Defense 3.5 lb on my AR.
+1 i just built a 200$ ar 22 build using ati omni upper and lower i think it weighs about 3.5lbs also and it is very accurate way more so then the beretta or the m&p15-22, it just about the same accuracy actually as the 522 i have, im super impressed and after this first build i will be building more now instead of buying them i think i can get a better result even with budget parts, looks at my 200 rifle build in the open rimfire forum

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
...+1 i just built a 200$ ar 22 build using ati omni upper and lower i think it weighs about 3.5lbs also and it is very accurate way more so then the beretta or the m&p15-22, it just about the same accuracy actually as the 522 i have, im super impressed and after this first build i will be building more now instead of buying them i think i can get a better result even with budget parts, looks at my 200 rifle build in the open rimfire forum
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=587317
$200 for all that!

I still like the Beretta.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Still like mine as well. Got about 3000 round thru it now and it has work very well. Accuracy is good for the type and it's a fun rifle to shoot.

So many rifles to enjoy, soooo little ammo to feed them.....

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I agree with you 100% the 522 is just the cat's meow and honestly after buying it and the m&p15-22 i dont even shoot the custom 10-22 anymore, what kind of groups do you get out of your 522?
I couldn't recall exactly, but I talked to my buddy the other day about it. I remember it has shot most loads pretty well, including Aguila's SSS 60 grain and hypervelocity Interceptor and Super Max stuff - he said it would pretty much average around an inch at fifty yards. Keep in mind, this is with a low-power Thompson Center variable scope with mediocre optics. I know with some loads it'll do better, and it easily matches any other non-target .22 I've shot at similar ranges, and in terms of practical accuracy. For a 16" non-match barrel, I've been impressed by how well it performs :t

Kind Regards,

~ SH ~

1 - 20 of 33 Posts