Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Beretta 89 Gold Standard

1437 8
Some of you may have seen I like Berettas..Especially .22s..The 89 is kinda my Grail one that eluded me until yesterday..It will not be here for a couple more days..But is on the way.

Guy I bought it from got it direct from Beretta through a connection he had with them..Do not know which were import marked but this one has none he said..He bought it brand new in the 90s..He at the same time bought a complete spare upper assembly , he sent that in and in and had the barrel threaded..He fired 20 rounds suppressed through that barrel.Bought 5 spare mags at the same time...Never did fire the original upper slide assembly..And put it away till I bought it yesterday..

I paid a good amount for it..But it is likely the only 89 you will ever see for sale like it with all the extras..

Anyone who owns one tell me what you think of it..And how it shoots..I am guessing very well..Function I know will perfect as far as feeding, firing, and ejection with I bet any ammo I put in it..That is just the Beretta way,LOL

Going to be sweet Shooter I am sure.Should be a great companion to my 76 Target...Very excited to see it.I have never actually seen one in person...Here are a few pics..

Reactions: Grifo and cbunix23
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1,937 Posts
A fine pistol; felt good in hand, balanced well, and was more reliable with different ammo that my S&W 41, but I didn't like the rear sight; felt cheap, not in line with the rest of the gun. My S&W 41 was/is more accurate with ammo it likes and feels better in my hand. As much as the 89 was fun to shoot, I don't think I'd consider it a true target pistol. To me, it's better than the 87T, but then I don't consider that a target gun, either. I sold the 89 a while back and don't really regret it. I've never been interested in the 87T. The one Beretta .22LR I do regret selling was an 87 Cheetah with a few mags and some spare parts.

Yours looks to be in much better condition than mine was. I hope it exceeds your expectations!

Cheers

· Registered
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yes my 89 is in for all practical purposes, brand new..

I agree the 87T was no target Pistol by far..I have the 76 Target too..It is even superior to the 87T..I do not have a 41 to compare..But word from others that do..Most say the 89 will equal the 41 and beat it alot of the time..The 89 is a true target Pistol I believe..The 87T definitley not and the 76 Target not so much, but closer..

I am not a precision target shooter..So I am sure the 89 will do anything I could ever expect from it..And I really like the Berettas..In my humble opinion they are the best Pistols ever made as far as function and reliability across the board..Especially the .22s

Heres a pic of all 6 of my Berettas..I have a Model 81 in .32 ACP that is very nice, also pictured is my 70S .22..Very nice pistol, My 92S, 1952 Model 948, 76 Target, and of course the 89 Gold Standard..I know if I ever sold the 89..I would regret it,LOL

I am on the look out for atleast two more Berettas..The Olypmpico 1950s 22 pistol, and the Olimpia .22 Rifle..Then I am stopping,LOL
Wood Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Rectangle

· Registered
1,937 Posts
You have a very nice collection! I agree with you that machining and finish on the small sample of Beretta handguns I've handled over the years is second to none. I currently only own three, all surplus, a 71, an 85, and a 92S, and I usually leave them as close to factory configuration as possible. I do lament selling the 87, and would gladly buy another one, provided it was a good deal, but unfortunately, they don't make enough of them to satisfy the market, and prices have gotten out of hand. As well as the 71 shoots, the 87 just fits me better.

Cheers

· Registered
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yes the prices are getting ridiculous on Berettas especially..But everything is going up with them.

Yes the older ones are just finely machined..Quality steel, and of overall fine quality, and reliability, that you just do not see in most of today's Firearms, and never will again..

· Registered
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks

Yes I really like it, hopefully next Spring I can get it out more for accuracy testing and fun..I try to avoid the outdoors at all cost in the Winters here..LOL

I would like to get a suppressor for the Treaded Barrel..I just hate the wait..Still waiting on a Form1 SBR to come through right now..They just do not seem to get the urgency of the situation at the ATF..

· Registered
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Very nice 76..I think it is a little nicer than mine shown in the group pic above.I did sell off one of my 89 Mags to recoup some of my losses on the 89.

May sell one more to help a little more.....LOL.Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts