Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lurking around RimfireCentral for a little while and now that I'm looking to upgrade bullseye pistols I decided to finaly get some info of my own :p . I've been thinking of getting a 5 1/2" 41 but now I've seen the Benelli MP95 and can't decide wich one I should get first. The benelli is $643.00 (I'll probably have to get custom grips later) and I just saw the 41 had a price jump at Sportingarms to $769.00. How do they compare just as target pistols?

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Both are common on my team/ local laugue. Both are VERY accurate. Both can be ammo sensitive and need tweeking/brake in to become reliable. The BIG difference is ballance, grip angle and "feel". You should also look at overall availability /cost of additional mags, scope mounts, etc. I believe you can get away without a trigger job on the Bennelli, the NIB 41's usually beg for one.

My advice is to find a local bullseye/gallery league and show up. Chances are you'll find friendly folks who will be glad to let you try their rigs. You'll also likely find a few used guns all set up with dot, 6 mags etc for less than your budget. (Used 41's in particular are everywhere for $400-600.) The advantage of use here ( besides overall cost) is that many of them have had custom work done /bugs worked out altready. Besides $800 -$1000 target pistols seldome get abused.

hth

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know it's not cost effective

but I was hopping to buy new for once. After the Anschutz I bought from Thad Scott(98% yeah right) I'm kind of tired of getting hand-me-downs(third child sindrome). This would be my first new firearm and I have'nt had a chance to get ahold of the MP95 yet. There's one guy on the league I shoot that has a 7" 41 that I like the feel of and the range owners wife has a 5" with the loaded chamber indicater That I'll have to ask to see. But most of us on the league shoot Rugers in one form or another. I might have to get the benelli just to be diffrent.

·
Registered
492 Posts
First let me say that I've never shot a model 41. Now let me tell you about my MP95E that I got in Jan. of this year.
COST:
pistol- 643.00
shipping- 40.00
30mm mounts- 10.00
trigger mod (w/Hammerli parts)- 75.00
3 extra mags, 6shot ea.(it comes with 1-9shot) 4 mags total, 25.00ea-75.00
Nils grips (Lg size)- 155.00
TOTAL : 998.00 to my FFL dealer (+20.00 transfer fee)
From Larry's Guns.
Impressions:
The grips feel like they were made for me, the gun is easy to clean, push out one pin and trigger assembly drops right out. It's got great ballance, a great trigger, and shoots about anything SV into one hole at 50' with same POI (or VERY close) CCI- std vel.& GTs, Wolf MT's/SK+'s, Rem/Eley MT's & EPS'. Groups size from nickel+-, to aprox.2/3 the size of a dime (10 shot groups). These were not shot from a machine rest but 2 handed grip from a table, and with the aid of my 30mm Ultra Dot. ( I can't use the iron sights sorry) My BEST Gallery league score went up by 20/25 points the last 2 rounds that I shot with my MP95E. This was at the end of 2, 10 week rounds shot with my IZH35M with UD.
I know the 41's are GREAT shooters their reps speak for themselves.
Just my input for what its worth.
Either gun will serve you VERY well!!
CraigJS

·
Registered
492 Posts
Yes the mags are steel. The trigger group appears to be made of some sort of plastic/polymyer(sp?). It doesn't distort and functions flawlessly. You don't even notice it though. Many very top end target pistols have much, much more plastic through out the entire pistol. Hammerli's and Pardini's both I believe have alot more in them than my 95E. If you can pick up both the 41 and the 95E, put in a snap cap, try the triggers etc. The 41 will have more after market stuff made for it.. The 41 will have a larger supply of mags here and there, if you don't get them from Larry's when you get the gun. I bought my 95E sight unseen new from Larry and don't regret it at all! He's the distributor for Hammerli's and Benelli's here in the USA. If you lived around St. Paul here in Minn. I'd let you shoot mine. Check around there maybe clubs that rent 41's and 95E's in your area. Like I said before either will serve you well and they will both out shoot you or I....
Any other ?? contact me at: [email protected]

·
Registered
644 Posts
I personally like the model 41's. American made and bullseye capable out of the box. At least all my old ones are. Have never shot anything other than A series and older. I have rarely ever had any problems with any of the 4 I have, and they are all great reliable shooters.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
CraigJS said:
If you lived around St. Paul here in Minn. I'd let you shoot mine. Check around there maybe clubs that rent 41's and 95E's in your area.
Thanks for the offer but it would be quite a drive from central Illinois. I think (unless something comes up) at the end of the month I'm ordering the mp95. The 41 will have to wait till some more cash shows up. Thanks for the info and opinions.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
FWIW, I find the forward weighted , raked grip angled guns easier/ more forgiving. The Bennelli is like that. I almost bought the Benelli but bought Pardinni SP myself for that reason (after trying one) . As with Craig , my scores immediatly went up at 25-30 points over my performance with My MK II Volquartzen Ruger. ( I'm not arguing the Pardini is more accurate than the MK II, just more forgiving and easier to hold steady for this shooter.)

I hear what you are saying about "treating yourself" and buying new. I buy 95% of my guns used but do occasionally splurge on the ones that I know will get shot regularly. The Pardini and an Anshutz 1903 target rifle were some of them. Just make sure that when you buy new it's exactly what you want. Nothing worse than taking a 30% trade bath on a $1000 handgun that didn't live up to your expectations.

BTW, do you shoot air pistol? ( Noticed your handle). After going throught 6 different match airpistols , I finally found I excelled with the same ISU raked/muzzle heavy design in for 10M airpistol competition. ( YEa, after 5 used airpistols on the learning curve, I bought a new Styer LP1 there too :D

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
MP95E or 41 ??

Billairgun,
I'm going to have to vote with CraigJS for the Benelli MP95E. As has been said you need to try them both before you decide. I have 2 model 41's as well as a host of other target .22's and the MP95E is my go-to gun. As CraigJS said the balance is superb made better by the fact that there is a little cup that screws under the barrel. The cup is compartmentialized so that you can make your own weights to individualize your gun. I use lead fishing weights and cotton to keep the barrel down during rapid fire. If you should happen to get a used gun w/o the manual, let me know and I will photocopy mine.

Wayne38

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tacoma said:
BTW, do you shoot air pistol? ( Noticed your handle). After going throught 6 different match airpistols , I finally found I excelled with the same ISU raked/muzzle heavy design in for 10M airpistol competition. ( YEa, after 5 used airpistols on the learning curve, I bought a new Styer LP1 there too :D
Yes, but there is no one around here to shoot against so I never saw the need to get real fancy. I bought a IZH-46M and had a set of walnut Vitarbo grips made for me. I like the balance of it so the MP95 should work out to. I just hope next time I do'nt have to wait three months to have grips made.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
We are fortunate enough to have a semi serious/ always fun/friendly winter AP league that draws about 30 shooters. We even branched out into AP silhouette this year. Interestingly enough, the IZH-46M has becoem the most common Ap in the whole league in just two years. That says something for them!!The IZH-46m is probobly the best shooting out ot the box AP I've found in the under $400 range. ( I had to own one myself just "because".) You will have to go a long way to outgrow it. I just preffer bulk Co2.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I bought my Izh-46 for new $230.00 several years back.

About six months later the guy I bought it from died and everybody else raised their prices to $300.00. I came close to getting a CO2 match pistol(Brno Tau 7) but never had the money when I wanted a match pistol. Just to put some S&W back in the thread I do have two of the four types of airguns S&W made themselves a 77A .22 pump up rifle and a 78G .22 CO2 pistol(looks like the 41).

·
Registered
245 Posts
I shot a 41 in our bullseye league for years and went to a Benelli that I upgraded by replacing the trigger group with the metal one from the Model 90 and the adjustable grips, also from the 90.

41 pros and cons: very ammo sensitive, must be tapped and drilled to mount a red dot (maybe that's changed on the newer ones); parts and service easy to find, Randall Fung can make you nice custom adjustable grips to replace the factory grips

Benelli: most reliable pistol I've ever owned, lower bore line, better iron sights if you use 'em, very easy to clean, hard to get parts and service, used to make (maybe still do) an identical .32 for cf matches. Stock trigger group and grips on the 95 aren't so hot.

Either one will do fine for bullseye. You might also look for a used GSP, especially if you're shooting irons.

Bill

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bill A. said:
Benelli: most reliable pistol I've ever owned, lower bore line, better iron sights if you use 'em, very easy to clean, hard to get parts and service, used to make (maybe still do) an identical .32 for cf matches. Stock trigger group and grips on the 95 aren't so hot.
From what I understand Larry's Guns took over importing the Benelli and parts and service are supposed to be alot better. I am thinking about having him do a trigger job with Hammerli parts but he was'nt there when I called to find out what kind of diffrence it would make from a stock trigger. He also carries some adjustable grips for them but I'm not sure what size I would need.

·
Registered
492 Posts
The 90's trigger group now is a 300.00 up grade (per Larry). The 95E trigger up grade is/was 75.00, unless I shoot a 90 I'll NEVER know the difference.. More than happy with this trigger. I went to the Nils grips because I had been shooting a IZH 35M with the same style grips. (style is the only simularity, Nils are a world apart) And the Nils were at a good price, 155.00. With the 30mm rings he sells with the gun, mounting a dot sight was a snap.
CraigJS

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.