Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
You are asking a lot of any stock if you expect it to excel at both silhouette and benchrest. The disciplines require very different stock characteristics that are not compatible. Silhouette stocks need a deep forend to allow the shooter to keep his elboe resting on his hip or ribcage. Bench stocks need a shallow forend to keep the center of gravity and moment of inertia low to prevent canting and torquing and to aid in straightline tracking. Silhouette socks need a well-articulated pistol grip for gun and trigger control in the offhand position. Bench socks tend to have much less pronounced pistol grips to discourage over handling the rifle on the bags. The anschutz style stocks are too deep in the forend for benchwork and tend to be too light when done in synthetics for either bench or silhouette work in the rimfire game. In my opinion, the Fagen thumbhole or Boyd's Ross are the best compromise stocks for the work you have mentioned. Flattening the forend and sharpening the corners of the forend will make it better for benchrest without hampering its use in silhouette as the hand position in the latter is far rearward and would not be out on the front of the forend where the squared up portion would be. Regards. Lawboy.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I actually have a couple of stock designs that will work. One is in the final design stages the other is already prototyped and ready for testing. The prototype is a redesign of the Fajen Silhoutte and it is specifically designed for the two different shooting needs you mentioned. I will have to get permission from the company I did the redesign for before I release either a photo or do a stock. If interested send me an pm.

Mikey T

www.turnercustoms.com

ps. Lawboy I did get your email or pm about the new stock design and it will work fine. Am I too late? :eek:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Stocks

Try a Bell & Carlson Odyssey target stock. They are fully adjustable, (2-way or 3-way) very well made and very stable. I just bought one and love it. Brownells has them if you want to look at one. Good luck!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Stock prices

The Bell & Carlson Odyssey Target stock sells for $350.88 for the 2-way adj., and $381.95 for the 3-way adj. butt. These are list prices at Brownells, you can buy them from them much cheaper if you call them and ask to get set up as a dealer. $245 & $315 would be your prices then. I'm sure there are other places as well to look into. Good luck!

·
Registered
873 Posts
Cervanteznc I guess your question was to me. No the forearm on the Barracuda came about due to a garbage in garbage out mistake I made whil writing nc code for two flutes down the side of the bbl channel. It sure did work out well though!:D

Mikey T

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.