Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Bench set-up

770 9
Hello: How do you folks shoot your CZ off of the bench? I assume most use an adjustable front rest and some kind of bags in the rear. What set-up has worked for you. I realize practice is important and I enjoy my time shooting, but I want to make sure I am not practicing bad techniques. I shoot alone, so I can not check out anyone elses set-up and I have not found any good books or videos on shooting rimfire benchrest. I am enjoying the shooting, but I sure would like to break 240 next month. My front rest currently has a flat bag on it and I am considering putting one of the protektor #1 bags there. Any helpful bench shooting information will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Mike

Ps I did the Brookie spring set-up on my CZ and the improvement was very noticeable.

Pss My scope is a Simmons 1022T (3x-9x). I am thinking of a Weaver T36.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
The big thing is being consistent with your technique. I'm no expert with my benchrest technique, mainly just lucky to have a range that is fairly protected from the wind. I found that my Special shoots best with the rest either under the barrel lug or just behind it. It also doesn't do well with the rear bag so I have been just using the front rest. My gun seems to like a firm trigger hand and a bit of shoulder also. I glued a level to the front sight which has been working wonders with my consistency. With the round fore stock it will rotate in the bags easily and the level helps a lot.

Another aspect that works for all disciplines is to establish your natural point of aim. That includes setting up the rest, the bench and your position. Get your breathing technique down and learn to shoot when all the factors are right.

I need to get some windflags together to help on the days when the wind is not consistent. Right now I have no clue what the wind is doing to the bullets. Alaska Mike, what sort of flags are you using?

·
Registered
978 Posts
A rest with an " adjustable windage top" has a screw that moves the top left or right without having to move the rest. A great aid in shooting a row without having to set up from scratch after each shot.

As far as not using a rear bag goes, I just found that the gun seemed to work better without it. My best 50 yard score - 233- came when I first tried the firm trigger hand.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.