Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I am still learning and I need some help.

I tried to go really cheap, and its not working. I used plain old canvas sand bags with play sand, and while I was trying to zero my savage, I realized my rifle was sinking lower as the vibration caused the sand to settle. :( I could add different media or stuff them more, but then I am lugging around a bunch of bags.

I am also a gluten for punishment, so next weekend I am entering a local BR tournament. There is nothing to win except a plastic trophy, so I figured a good place to start.

After asking at two of the LGS, they pretty much told me to buy online because they don't want to carry/stock the various necessary items. :( None of them even had empty bags.

How good/bad of a setup is a
Caldwell Rock BR Competition Front Shooting Rest and Caldwell Deluxe Universal Rear Bag?

I figure as I learn more and if I get better I can always buy better, but is this middle of the road enough to start? I know I am learning to walk here but is this good enough? I have seen the $500+ setups at the local ranges, and I need to learn a lot to justify those setups right now.

I want a steady platform to zero and to shoot at 25yrds and 50yrds to start.

Any help would be appreciated.
So far I have been shooting standing or sitting and just understanding the rifle.

· Premium Member
58,294 Posts
At the risk of being labeled an elitist again, the Caldwell rest will get you started but if you can afford them go ahead and get Protektor bags front and rear, they'll cost more but be with you the rest of your life. JMO.

· Registered
1,002 Posts
IMHO, that Caldwell Rock is a great starting place, a steady and very useful rest and will serve you well with any Savage Rimfire Rifle you may shoot for enjoyment or local non-serious competition. It makes no sense to spend $500 on a competition rest when shooting a $400 rifle. And gmd1950 has good advice on those bags even if I happen to be an Edgewood bag fan. Good luck on that shoot and be patient as you progress. Rome wasn't built in a day.

· Registered
9,420 Posts
Rests etc.

After 40 years of crushed walnut shell bags my wife bought me a Caldwell set up with the The Rock up front and the Caldwell bag for the rear. I have learned how to use the front rest, no problem, but I cannot, no matter what I do, get comfortable with the rear bag in the set. I decided to use my walnut shell bags for the rear and The Rock for the front and that combination is serving me well.

I don't shoot paper much, other than checking ammo, and am not a benchrester. Most of my rifles are sporters with wooden stocks. Only have 3 "target" rifles. Don't have scopes on most of rifles either.

Moral? Sometimes you need to experiment.

noremf(George)

· Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At the risk of being labeled an elitist again, the Caldwell rest will get you started but if you can afford them go ahead and get Protektor bags front and rear, they'll cost more but be with you the rest of your life. JMO.
LOL! I have seen the other posts! No worries, I like a lot of opinions and no, I don't think your being elitist.

Would you recommend the the #1 or #2 Regular Owl Ear Front Bag?

Which rear bag would you recommend?

· Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After 40 years of crushed walnut shell bags my wife bought me a Caldwell set up with the The Rock up front and the Caldwell bag for the rear. I have learned how to use the front rest, no problem, but I cannot, no matter what I do, get comfortable with the rear bag in the set. I decided to use my walnut shell bags for the rear and The Rock for the front and that combination is serving me well.

I don't shoot paper much, other than checking ammo, and am not a benchrester. Most of my rifles are sporters with wooden stocks. Only have 3 "target" rifles. Don't have scopes on most of rifles either.

Moral? Sometimes you need to experiment.

noremf(George)
Thanks for that feedback...yep, I plan to experiment. I have seen more than one post with the same rear bag complaint. Thanks!

· Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
IMHO, that Caldwell Rock is a great starting place, a steady and very useful rest and will serve you well with any Savage Rimfire Rifle you may shoot for enjoyment or local non-serious competition. It makes no sense to spend $500 on a competition rest when shooting a $400 rifle. And gmd1950 has good advice on those bags even if I happen to be an Edgewood bag fan. Good luck on that shoot and be patient as you progress. Rome wasn't built in a day.
Thanks, I will look at the Edgewoods as well.

· Premium Member
58,294 Posts
Edgewood is a premium bag and you'd not go wrong with them for certain, the Protektor no. 1 front bag serves most sporter to medium sized stocks well, I have both a 13b and a 14a rear bags, both are heavy bottom bags. Look them over, if you have stocks with a cheek piece you'll usually find a bunny ear rather than a rabbit earred bag to work best.:bthumb:

· Registered
128 Posts
In the military for long range shooting we made our own bags. A wool sock filled with popcorn kernles (unpopped), tie a knot in the end when you fill it with enough kernles. Then fold the rest of the sock over itsself. I still use mine from when I was in, They work great, and the rear bag you just squeeze it or relax your hand on it depending whether you need to raise or lower the gun while shooting. Don't use beans or anything like that because if it gets wet it'll mold. I made mine in Jan. 2009 and theyre still going strong!

I prefer bi-pod for front personally though and use sandbag for rear.

· Registered
1,017 Posts
This set-up works perfectly for everything but real serious bench shooting competiton. For around $200 total, it'll most likely do everything you'll need it to do. If you're going to get into bench shooting seriously, I go with a Sinclair front rest of some kind.

· Registered
1,002 Posts
Thanks, I will look at the Edgewoods as well.
SixShooterFan,
Go to www.edgebag.com, click on Catelog and scroll down to the "Gatorbag." It is a nice heavy sucker that allows for you to literally rest the side of your hand on the bag with your trigger finger inside the trigger guard. You set the bag up with the long nose of the bag pointing toward your rest. It is the bag I finally ended up with after trying several that have been discussed here. It is not cheap and one you can get your best price from either Bruno's or Sinclair's. The bag is a bit more expensive from Edgewood directly, but they WILL build you a custom bag if you call and tell them what you want. These bags are not cheap and are used in the more serious competitions involving the use of the custom high dollar rigs of varying calibers. But the one thing for sure, is that the Gaterbag is a solid and heavy support basis if you are a serious shooter. I've used the bag with both my Rock Rest and Custom Rest that is similar to the Sinclair Competiton Rest. I am no Elitiest either...just an accuracy freak chasing that five shot - one holer. Remember as in all things having to do with Benchrest style shooting, you get what you pay for and the results prove that theory - IF you do your part as the shooter.

· Registered
3,085 Posts
Going to add my $.02 worth. We started out simple here, got caught up in the accuracy side of things, and now have 3 set's of everything. Do your research on what's available. Is there a chance you might attend a few matches? Buy once and save a few bucks.

· Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Edgewood is a premium bag and you'd not go wrong with them for certain, the Protektor no. 1 front bag serves most sporter to medium sized stocks well, I have both a 13b and a 14a rear bags, both are heavy bottom bags. Look them over, if you have stocks with a cheek piece you'll usually find a bunny ear rather than a rabbit earred bag to work best.:bthumb:
I'm with Gerald, I have a set of protektor bags and they're very solid. Best of luck!
Went to range today. After lobbying for many years, the range literally 10min from work will have rimfire only competition every Friday.

The Caldwell BR front and Rear bag was giving me headaches and someone next to me said, "wait, let me help" he set me up with a Protektor Front and Rear bag and help me get into position, I did much better after that and went home promptly placed my order. :D

· Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Going to add my $.02 worth. We started out simple here, got caught up in the accuracy side of things, and now have 3 set's of everything. Do your research on what's available. Is there a chance you might attend a few matches? Buy once and save a few bucks.
I am trying out everything to see what suites me. At the rimfire only opening day at range near work I was able to see a lot of different setups from a $1000+ setup (that included $2000 gun setup) to the $200 setups and everything inbetween. Some people where nice enough to let me try (Seems like Savage and CZ guys get along without fighting and pretty helpfull :bthumb:).

I have a lot to learn! I nephew who will benefit from what I have in case I get into more serious matches. Right now, I plan to hit some local club only/fun only matches and only two serious matches (one in July which is state wide competion and one in the Fall that is some NRA type of event)

I am sure to back with stupid questions and I appreciate the feedback

· Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This set-up works perfectly for everything but real serious bench shooting competiton. For around $200 total, it'll most likely do everything you'll need it to do. If you're going to get into bench shooting seriously, I go with a Sinclair front rest of some kind.

Pretty much what I have now, unfortunately my rear bag is small so I am using a sandbag and velcro to keep them together for now and as long as I am steady and smooth it works but does not allow too much room for mistakes.

· Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
SixShooterFan,
Go to www.edgebag.com, click on Catelog and scroll down to the "Gatorbag." It is a nice heavy sucker that allows for you to literally rest the side of your hand on the bag with your trigger finger inside the trigger guard. You set the bag up with the long nose of the bag pointing toward your rest. It is the bag I finally ended up with after trying several that have been discussed here. It is not cheap and one you can get your best price from either Bruno's or Sinclair's. The bag is a bit more expensive from Edgewood directly, but they WILL build you a custom bag if you call and tell them what you want. These bags are not cheap and are used in the more serious competitions involving the use of the custom high dollar rigs of varying calibers. But the one thing for sure, is that the Gaterbag is a solid and heavy support basis if you are a serious shooter. I've used the bag with both my Rock Rest and Custom Rest that is similar to the Sinclair Competiton Rest. I am no Elitiest either...just an accuracy freak chasing that five shot - one holer. Remember as in all things having to do with Benchrest style shooting, you get what you pay for and the results prove that theory - IF you do your part as the shooter.
Point taken, link saved -- right now I am going with the protektor bags. If I get involved in something that is more than just in my home state, then I will definately consider this on my list. Right and from experience at the range tonight, for the local matches, I believe I am Ok, although not the most perfect setup, with a Caldwell front with protektor bags.

Thank you for the information

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.