Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recall reading a post a couple of weeks ago that Bell and Carlson states that their stocks should not be bedded. Do any of you own Bell and Carlson rifle stocks and if so, did you have to bed them are was the factory fit good? :confused:

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I have a B&C Heritage that fit tight without bedding and an Odessey that needed bedding (especially at the rear of the reciever). I do not believe all Ruger recievers have the same external dimentions so it may not be the stocks fault.

·
Registered
220 Posts
They come with a forward pressure point. It'll shoot good out of the box. However, the stock is pretty flexible. If you want to shoot real good, you need to remove the pressure point, and bed the barrel up to the pressure point.

Action fits pretty tight, but there was really no shelf at the rear, so I bedded there too.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have a target style thumbhole, I havn't been happy with either of the two I've owned. The first one I had cracked, the second and current one looks as if it wasn't inleted proplerly. This caused the ejection port to sink below the edge of the stock, and cant to the right. To correst this I bedded the action and the first few inches of the barrel. It made a instant impovement in accuracy, and consistency. Unfortunetly you can still tell it's tilted.

Jay.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Michigan and lefty o,

Sorry to here you guys had trouble with your stocks. I've found it rare to hear someone that had trouble with them. One of the nice things about RFC is you do get a wider cross section of the shooters and can get more info. I'm just curious, did either of you check with Bell & Carlson to see what they would do about it. I heard a fellow talk about them replacing an stock that wasn't well inlet and he said they did it without question. Like I said just curious how thier customer support is.

Dave Z.

·
Registered
10,487 Posts
The only fitting I ever did to one of my B&C's was to remove the forward pressure pad... literally took 10 seconds or less. That particular gun did not like the forward pressure and once removed shoots lights out.

·
Registered
366 Posts
GMCfixer: I sent the stock that cracked back, but kept the canted one. It took a considerable amount of time to get the stock when I originally ordered it. Then I had to send it back to B&C, and wait to get it back again.

When I finally got the new one I noticed what was wrong, but didn't want to go threw all of that again. So I fixed it as best I could.

I had no problems with B&C's customer service they asked me a couple of questions, and shipped me a new one. Unfortunetly I got another bad one(canted one). Looking back I don't think I'll get another simply because for me personally I think they are a little to weak for me. I do love the look and feel or the stock I have though, so I'm thinking of having one duplicated in a high grade walnut.

Jay

·
Registered
438 Posts
I bought mine used, but yeah, the barreled action is canted in the stock. This is causing one side of the barrel to make contact witht the pressure point, and the other side to be slightly 'off.' I was shooting in 100*+ heat and noticed that my hands were getting black from holding the stock LOL...I had high hopes but I'm starting to think it was a bad purchase. I LOVE the feel in my hand, but so far its fit/finish is about what I'd expect from a $30 plastic stock, not a $150 one. I'm not even sure that bedding is going to fix it...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.