Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im interested in getting involved in target shooting. I currently have a Remington 522 viper and a simmons 6-24x 50mm scope. If things go well with my old 522 here, id like to look into getting a quality target rifle. In your opinion what is the best 22lr target rifle i can get for around $300. Now keep in mind im new so if $300 is terribly low then please tell me what you think the best would be for the least amount of green. If you have a gun in mind please post a link so I can check it out. Thank you for reading my post.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Not sure what you mean by "target shooting", but...

Hunter/Sporter Class (clip-fed bolt action) - you can do very well with either an NS522 or one of the variants of the CZ452 for between $300 and $400.

Bench/3-Position/Silouette (single-shot bolt action) - you can get an "entry-level" gun new for around $400 to $500, or a slightly better used gun for the same money. The maximum is up to you.

All of the above in an auto-loader - Ruger! Buy the basic gun for around $160 at Walmart or other discounter, then add to it as you wish or your wallet allows. Usually won't compete with the better bolt guns at longer ranges, but rules the roost at 25 to 35 yards.

None of these estimates include scopes, rings, specialty sights, etc.

If you are just getting started, I would suggest a good bolt gun in the Hunter/Sporter class like the NS or the CZ. With the right accessories these can be competitive in Sporter BR, NRA Hunter Silouette or the new CMP Sporter Rifle matches. In fact, with a big enough box of accessories, you could shoot in all of them. They are also very attractive guns, traditional in style with nice walnut stocks and bluing. You could proudly hang them on your den wall or take them to the rabbit/squirrel fields for the day.

Just my cent-and-a-half's worth anyway.

Bill

·
Registered
3 Posts
It depends on what you want

you can pick up a target version of the Ruger 10/22 for around $300 with factory modifications

or if you are thinking of getting serious later and investing $300 now and more later, you can get a basic 10/22 form walyworld or such for $160 as bill stated above and then

ruger 10/22 $160 walyworld
Hogue Overmolded 10/22 Stock $50 ebay
Green Mountain Match Blue Barrel $110 ebay
Volquartsen target hammer $35 RFC sponcer HawkTech Arms

$345 plus shipping is over but you would be happy and there is no limmit to the upgrades

mine was
10/22 $150 bassproshop
fajen stock and green mountain bull brl $230 ebay
parts kit, auto bolt release,bolt buffer,
ext mag release and such $17 ebay
scope 3-9x40 $60 bassproshop
Volquartsen target hammer not yet

but to tell you the truth I would put my $100 dollar bolt action 581 up against the 10/22 any day for driving nails

I am sure you will get lots of replys on this question though

paper cutter

aka bad speller

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'd recommend the CZ452. I just got back from the range a few minutes ago and I had managed three .5" groups of five at 50 yards with my almost stock 452 (I have Brookies trigger kit which you can read about in the CZ section of this website).

Prices for new CZ452's range between $200 for the Special Model up to $330 for the American/Varmint/Style/Silhouette Models.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wow

you have all been so helpful. thank you all very much. i like the idea of rugar 10/22 and adding ebay parts sounds awesome. that sounds like great advice. Looks like ill be hangin around this board for advice when i need it. Thanx again guys, have a good day

·
Registered
285 Posts
I did the 10/22 build up, it is Ok, but I like my CZ452-ultralux better. It was $191.99 plus $9 for Brookie's trigger kit. The Ruger has more than twice that amount "invested in it" and I prefer the CZ. Much higher quality.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
This will not set well with many of the 10-22 fans on the site but if I had $300 to spend on a "target-type" .22, it would go toward a CZ452, not a Ruger 10-22.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I think it still comes back to what your definition of "target" is.

If you are going to shoot Chevy Challenge, Hunter Sil, or informal "kill the can", or if you are limited to a maximum range of less than 50 yards, Ruger is very good and competitive. Even with e-bay, after you add all the parts together you are still out some serious coin. Also, some of those parts may require fitting that you are not experienced/capable enough to do.

If, however, your interests are a little longer in range, or if you are looking for "bench" precision, then a bolt gun is the way to go. I had forgotten about the "Lux" version of the CZ, but that would be a great bargain! It does have a long barrel and a birch stock, but it's pure CZ and a great deal at around $200 to 250.

With all due respect to the Ruger fans, for certain types of target shooting, you have to make your Ruger a $350 dollar gun to get competitive, and then you kind of "max out" as far as the top end is concerned. With some of the better bolt guns you are already competitive for $300 and can still go up from there.

Again, is your intended target a card filled with 25 seperate 1/10th of an inch dots, is it a small metal animal at known ranges, or is it tin cans and squirrels at various ranges?

Bill

·
Registered
16,533 Posts
On the other hand, you will start looking down through the E-Mail matches and out of the top twenty or so, about half of them are 10/22's and finally, waaay down the list, you will see a CZ. MIght be wrong, but that is about as close to the top as I've ever seen a CZ place...

All depends on what you want. Kinda... :t :D

(But I have to add... in most cases, we are not talking stock rifles here, either)

Ron

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Im looking for ranges in the 50yds to 100yrds range. I already have a simmons 6-24x 50mm scope that im gonna be attaching to this new rifle. Could someone please explain why a bolt action is more accurate then an auto. Is it because of all the movement in the action after the shot is fired ?

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
There are several reasons why a Bolt gun should be more accurate than an auto. Especially if you are talking about out-of-the-box guns. You can take a 10-22 and a few hundred dollars worth of aftermarket parts (barrel, hammer sear, trigger, etc.) and "build" you an auto that will compete quite well with most bolt guns. A quick scan of the "brands battle" threads her will verify that the click-clacks are very competitive - but virtually none of those are stock rugers (& most of the bolt guns aren't either!)

Anyway, if you are comparing stock guns:
Generally, the bolt gun will have a better (though not good) factory trigger than the auto.

Also generally, the bolt gun will use a striker or a portion of the bolt for ignition where the auto will use a hammer swinging thru an arc & a firing pin. The lock time on the bolt will be quicker.

The tolerances involved probably will not allow the auto's bolt to close exactly the same for each shot. The bolt's tolerances are tighter & being closed by hand, the closure more consistent.

.22 autos all employ a "blow-back" action so the bolt starts moving back as soon as the bullet starts moving out of the brass. Any movement will impart some vibration into the action & barrel.

All this being said, with most of us definitely not being olympic-class shooters, you probably will not notice the difference in the performance of a moderately tricked-out 1022 & a bolt gun that you have the same amount of money in. A quick look at JL's scores will verify this. I just like the bolt guns - if you prefer the action of the auto, by all means, go for it! But be aware that the potential of the bolt gun is probably a little better.

·
Registered
87 Posts
claybuster,
Good summary of differences between bolts and semi-autos, but you left out one that I think might be the most impotant.

Semi auto's must have a looser chamber so the inertia and bit of spring on that "bolt" can chamber the next round. Even the sweet Green Mountain barrels have a "Bentz" chamber. Though this is the semi auto equivilant of a 'match chamber' it must still be looser than what the camming of a bolt action can handle.

Big Mike posts that neat chart with the chamber diameters. lengths, throats, etc.

Chambering .22lr rounds with your thumb, you will find you can usually just about totally seat a round in the Bentz. My Sako stops a little short of seated with the same pressure and the Winchester 52 C & D stop noticably out farther.

Long way of saying the bolt gun can have much tighter chamber due the mechanical advantage of the locking lugs camming in the round.

I'd be hard pressed to choose between the 10/22 and the CZ. I bet most of here built a 10/22 or 2 first and then discovered CZs.
If you want to be really spoiled, buy the bolt action in .17 HMR...

I guess I'd probably have recommend the CZ 452 in .22lr for the first rifle.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
I agree with you on the chamber, Mr Goodwrench. That is the major part of what I was referring to in mentioning that the tolerances were looser on an auto. Maybe "tolerance" wasn't entirely proper. For an auto there must be more clearance between all the moving parts (& there are a lot of moving parts)

I also agree that the CZ452 would be awfully hard to beat as a choice for a .22 on a limited budget. A good clean used Remington 513T or Mossberg 144 would also be a good choice.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.